The Future of Glastonbury

JayDiesel

Mostly what worries me about the future of the festival is the costs of things - so far, we've been lucky that musicians will take a lower fee to play, but in this era where musicians get paid barely anything from streaming, and promoters taking large parts of merch and ticket sales, I'm concerned that booking is going to get harder and harder.  

What Glasto has going for it that no other festival does, is that people want to be there despite the weather, despite the lineup, despite the cost... they'll even go solo and leave their friends behind.  If Emily and Co can maintain that atmosphere (and I think they can) then they'll be fine.  But if that balance starts to waiver, they're fucked.  

(fwiw am also concerned about the weather this year, with the law of averages) 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Olshansky said:

What Glasto has going for it that no other festival does, is that people want to be there despite the weather, despite the lineup, despite the cost... they'll even go solo and leave their friends behind

to a point .... at some point this will stop 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

This is to a point already

No way as it stands would 150k people actually go solo

10-20k at a push i reckon

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I hope you're wrong 🙂 

If it comes to a point where they have to downscale majorly and it's just the pyramid and some DJs in the woods, I'd still go.  Besides, Ill be old.  We can all sit around the stone circle in 2040 and talk about the good ole days. "Remember when they had food for a fiver?! Can't get a toasty for under 30 quid these days"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Olshansky said:

I hope you're wrong 🙂 

If it comes to a point where they have to downscale majorly and it's just the pyramid and some DJs in the woods, I'd still go.  Besides, Ill be old.  We can all sit around the stone circle in 2040 and talk about the good ole days. "Remember when they had food for a fiver?! Can't get a toasty for under 30 quid these days"

i hope im wrong too 🙂  sadly everything has a shelf life . hope thats many many years away 

11 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

Mostly what worries me about the future of the festival is the costs of things - so far, we've been lucky that musicians will take a lower fee to play, but in this era where musicians get paid barely anything from streaming, and promoters taking large parts of merch and ticket sales, I'm concerned that booking is going to get harder and harder.  

What Glasto has going for it that no other festival does, is that people want to be there despite the weather, despite the lineup, despite the cost... they'll even go solo and leave their friends behind.  If Emily and Co can maintain that atmosphere (and I think they can) then they'll be fine.  But if that balance starts to waiver, they're fucked.  

(fwiw am also concerned about the weather this year, with the law of averages) 

It will change at some point.

It's barely sustainable as it is.

Re the weather, my senses say muddy year, based on nothing else than a feeling.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I hope you're wrong 🙂 

I first went in 1981 so I already sit around the Stone circle  and talk about the good ole days. "Remember when they had food for a 50p?! Can't get a toasty for under 5 quid these days"    🙂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

Does it? Wimbledon, cricket at Lord's the Proms all cultural institutions that go on and on. 

Which is exactly what Glastonbury has become, so much so that it can now accommodate those who would normally go to such events.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I hope you're wrong 🙂 

I’m already old but don’t sit around reminiscing, instead I embrace the way the festival has evolved over the years. Good old days can be overrated.  There’s many many Glastonburys still to come. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I’m already old but don’t sit around reminiscing, instead I embrace the way the festival has evolved over the years. Good old days can be overrated.  There’s many many Glastonburys still to come. 

The only time I talk about the "good old days" while at the festival is when random youngsters ask me about it.

They love hearing tales of old.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The only time I talk about the "good old days" while at the festival is when random youngsters ask me about it.

They love hearing tales of old.

I’ll try and bump into you at some point then 

maybe youngsters might be a stretch for me though 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 1

For what it’s worth, I’ve been going since 2004, only the first 2 did I really care about the music and even then most of it wasn’t announced, and it was only when you got the program and had the tent up you could sit and look at music. 

I go for the sense of peace, love and humanity that you simply cannot find anywhere else. 

You can’t even lay on a bench off your face and try to Kip for 2 mins without someone giving you a friendly nudge to make sure you’re okay. That’s the bit that keeps brining me back. Restores your faith in humanity. 

Caveat…….. NFRNFC!!! 

Peace out, one love. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The future direction of the festival frightens me TBH.

Nah, it'll be OK. 

It's already an "out of control" behemoth.

Not really...... Maybe. 

No idea how it could be scaled back or even stopped. It's become too important to the local economy and the UK.

Yup. 

It's become a British institution,

Yep, which works massively in its favour. The types that tried to shut it down30+ years ago now have to be seen there.If you can stomach it, have a look at this guide to events in 2023

nhttps://www.thesloaney.com/the-season-a-guide-to-the-british-summer-social-seasonin

In complete contrast to it's counter culture roots.

Looking at the big picture, in many ways yes. It was the only way to go to survive. Having said that, as you will well know, there are plenty of pockets of counter culture, including of  the old school variety, that still thrive there. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Exactly. This year will mark (gulp) 40 years since I first went. Whilst the festival has become a lot bigger since then, with a much higher profile and has become, yes, a major part of the social calendar, for me it still retains a lot of the atmosphere from my early days on the farm. I don't wish it was more like it was back then because I enjoy it more now than ever

Edited by henry bear
  • Upvote 7