What does your first hour at Glastonbury look like?

Jacko45

You've arrived on site, you've found your spot, you're laden with goods and excitement.

What you doing? It can be obvious or even boring but let's get the imaginations racing, it's time to start getting giddy.

For me I can only go on previous experience at numerous other festivals (Glasto virgin) here goes...

-----

Get in, park up the motorhome.

Absolutely certain someone...likely my missus will need to immediately go find the toilets for a wee, unbelievably transparent avoidance of setup duties btw.

Get the awning whacked out, few chairs thrown under it and start to sort the external areas.

Camp table and cooking station quickly setup. 

Speaker will make its first appearance, big pressure on the first song of the weekend.

I believe then when we've got a basic camp setup, it'll be arse in the chair and beer cracked open.

Yours??

• Like 1

first hour is pretty standard - have a tantrum in the style of a toddler whilst putting up the tent.

only open my first drink after the tent is up - so for me the sound of that first can opening is also sort of symbolic of the start of my festival - the next hour is then taken calming down from getting pissed off with the tent and off we go! 😀 

i know its pathetic, but i basically hate everything it takes to get to that point - the journey to site, getting onto site, getting to the camp, getting the camp set up... i just find it all too stressful... so once thats all sorted... ohhhhh yeah....

• Like 3

Have a happy and well earned rest at my tent for a couple of hours, with a quick scan of the programme, bite to eat, drink some water, have a nap and then get myself together and have a wander with my first opened beer.

8 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

first hour is pretty standard - have a tantrum in the style of a toddler whilst putting up the tent.

only open my first drink after the tent is up - so for me the sound of that first can opening is also sort of symbolic of the start of my festival - the next hour is then taken calming down from getting pissed off with the tent and off we go! 😀 

i know its pathetic, but i basically hate everything it takes to get to that point - the journey to site, getting onto site, getting to the camp, getting the camp set up... i just find it all too stressful... so once thats all sorted... ohhhhh yeah....

Can certainly get on board with that, Latitude couple of years back - 28c dragging a huge trolley through a mole-hill long grass field. I was stressed, sweating and dehydrated haha. 

But it does make that first can taste much sweeter. 

First trip in will be just taking the tent and absolute essentials, so once the tent is up, it's back to the car for the rest of my stuff.

After I've done that, I'll be cracking a very celebratory beer (though not likely my first of the day) and either a nap or a little wander around depending on energy levels.

The last few years, my wednesdays have been increasingly sedate so I'm more than happy to have a nice bimble in the evening, find a spot to watch the fireworks that isn't completely rammo (if we get a space in Pennards again, I'll just watch them at my camp) and get a relatively early night so I'm somewhat fresh for thursday.

Pretty much a mixture of what everyone's said above.

Find a spot to camp - we change our site every year. Get all the tents up.

Empty the bag so that it looks like an absolute dive and impossible for a thief to nab from.

Crush the crystals into powder.

Wait for stragglers. Help them set up to speed everything up.

Lock up and go for a wander, inevitably finding some shade if it's hot or raining, preferably with background music, play cards, chat, hang out, somewhere with equal distance to bars/toilets.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Definitely echo the mini tantrum feels. But when the tents up and the first cider is cracked then that all goes. I’ll generally sit down at the camp, roll a zoot, crack a can of cider and have a chat with the gang around who we’re looking forward to seeing. Can almost taste the cider already!! 

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

Absolutely certain someone...likely my missus will need to immediately go find the toilets for a wee, unbelievably transparent avoidance of setup duties btw.

Are you my husband? 🤣

I'll inevitably need to go once we've found a spot for the tent, it's not my fault if he sets it up while I'm otherwise engaged.

Then grab the programmes, go for a wander, find some food/drink and somewhere to chill.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rwoo said:

Definitely echo the mini tantrum feels. But when the tents up and the first cider is cracked then that all goes. I’ll generally sit down at the camp, roll a zoot, crack a can of cider and have a chat with the gang around who we’re looking forward to seeing. Can almost taste the cider already!! 

Pop up tents reduce any tantrums. I love mine so much, literally 3 seconds and I'm done, albeit putting in a few pegs to keep the thing down.

get to oxfam field on the monday, likely midday-ish. park up and take tent/sleep stuff in - first off is get shifts and get wristbanded, and then bung the tent up while i think about how the weekend shapes up with me shifts - then another stroll to the car to get me other bits, before getting onsite through gate B and first off walking down muddy lane into the top of t+c 😊 From there its dab my moistened eyes, before walking to the cider bus for a pint and a sitdown with barely anyone there!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Pop up tents reduce any tantrums. I love mine so much, literally 3 seconds and I'm done, albeit putting in a few pegs to keep the thing down.

What’s it like putting it down though? I’ve got a blackout three man so not too big, the blackout bit is essential these days. It’s normally the carrying everything in heat/rain that gets me in the tantrum 😂