Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

On 3/18/2023 at 4:54 PM, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I'd assume it'd be replaced by camping. We camped near it but never made it up there, bit of an odd location really, you had to specifically go to it rather than stumbling across it 

I suppose it depends on where you camp. Had a couple of years camping South Park, one year directly opposite the cars. Saw a very drunk Johnny Depp introducing Withnail and I. It was never rammed but it always had people around. It was only a 5 minute stroll from the Park entrance. You could say the same for the woodland area near the JP tent. Last year we were in the CV files so it was quite a trek and we didn't bother.

Just now, Boilingtent said:

This will be unpopular but as someone probably considered "young" and having attended 6 times since 2010 its not an area that ever really registered. Amyl and the sniffers were good there in 2019.

TBH I wasn't really aware of it either.

Just now, august1 said:

The tent doesn't get the capacity it should be getting Fri-Sun. Moving it out the way isn't the answer 

Definitely this.

Over the years I've seen some fairly big bands in there when the main stages have been on and the crowd has always been very small for the size of the act. If money has to be saved not paying for this will make a fair saving.  

48 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I am hoping that rather than this just being a budget cut, it's actually part of the solution to the overcrowding problem and acts that were on in William's Green will be spread further afield or somewhere new (perhaps somewhere in Woodsies for example?)

I hope you're right. If that's the case then I'll be happy exploring other areas and venues

It’s a real pity to loose Williams Green. Saw some great bands there over the years and I can’t really see a place for many of them elsewhere (would get lost on the Park or John Peel). 

If we assume it’s because of budget cuts then it seems bizarre to then spend money funding a new installation, even if it does re-use the cars. 

• Upvote 1

I'll be sorry to loose the WG tent, I've seen some great bands in there and it's been really busy - Big Moon, Lets Eat Grandma, Boy Azooga, Fontaines, Snapped Ankles, Black Midi. For a lot of bands it's been their first Glastonbury gig. I just hope that there's a space found for new bands other than just BBC Introducing.

That said, change is good - the festival has to evolve or die.

A lot of the people who like WG and those who think it needs an overhaul are actually on opposite sides of the same coin, I feel. Both agree the crowds are not big enough/the band's would get lost on bigger stages.

Isn't the ideal thing to save money on an area that's not delivering and have those bands maybe on a smaller tent, somewhere else?

I still feel like Woodsies will be bigger than just the Woodsies tent and the Woods, so maybe there.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

I'm still hopeful they will do something with Woodsies/BBC Introducing make that more into a wider "New Bands" area, I loved my experiences in that tent (when in there) but I think I've only seen The Smyths and last year W.H. Lung in there Friday to Sunday inside the tent, and the Thursday stuff in recent years I've not bothered with due to it being silly. 

2 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

A lot of the people who like WG and those who think it needs an overhaul are actually on opposite sides of the same coin, I feel. Both agree the crowds are not big enough/the band's would get lost on bigger stages.

Isn't the ideal thing to save money on an area that's not delivering and have those bands maybe on a smaller tent, somewhere else?

I still feel like Woodsies will be bigger than just the Woodsies tent and the Woods, so maybe there.

We've basically just agreed on the same thing, I'm guessing the problem is going to be the bands cost rather than the cost of a small tent on site to any such plans, but I really hope they do, I always think the BBC introducing sets (Another stage that I think I've only seen two bands Fri -> Sun on Circa Waves and Red Rum Club) are too short and not enough going on to head over that way unless I'm already at John Peel/Woodsies so if there was more generally there all acts would win.

29 minutes ago, Ashl said:

We've basically just agreed on the same thing, I'm guessing the problem is going to be the bands cost rather than the cost of a small tent on site to any such plans, but I really hope they do, I always think the BBC introducing sets (Another stage that I think I've only seen two bands Fri -> Sun on Circa Waves and Red Rum Club) are too short and not enough going on to head over that way unless I'm already at John Peel/Woodsies so if there was more generally there all acts would win.

That was the thing with WG - you could pop in and see a band whilst circulating between Pyramid, Other, West Holts and Glade. BBC Intro and JP (as was) are out the way and you have to make an effort to go there.

Need to make the new Woodsies thing an area, like the Park, not just a tent in a field.

1 hour ago, Colorblindjames said:

Replacing a good stage with a bunch of old cars doesn't seem great to me. Looks like more cost savings to the detriment of up and coming bands. 

I seen a comment saying why is a music festival replacing a music stage so someone can have a mess around with some cars. No way would the festival allow a newbie to come up with the idea but an old long standing friend of the festival gets away with it..

Don't agree entirely but not far off