Site Changes 2023

Crazyfool01

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

John Peel staff camping. 

You can see there's quite a lot options they could do with that area if they start moving fields and things about. 

Technically from that map woodsies is where hospitality is now, so curious to see if they're shifting to a new field or just using that name for John Peel because it's close to it. 

Screenshot_20230402-134445.png

Hmm, I do love a Glastonbury theory or two, for fun. 

Would be interesting if they could carve out a long narrow area to rival the Park. Stands, bars, cafes, all playing live music, focused on sustainable wood working, carvings etc.

An area like this.

image.png.003b3ccbf289e238b19fed2c2d61645d.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

On thursday last year you couldnt even hear the soundsystem of The Glade if you werent inside the tent structure. So its already low to begin with. The overall issue with having music on a larger stage on thursday is that there is nothing else happening so itll be rammed no matter what. I mean it would make sense to have something at The Park because tons of people go watch the Sunset and would be on the hill already. But balancing it with something people would like and being well enough known is tough. Not as if they could have Bastille do that sort of thing and not expect half the festival to turn up.

Sure, but that's what I mean, if the sound was so low that you had to be in the venue to hear it loudly enough, couldn't they do something similar at Woodsies and the Acoustic? That way you could have some kind of Spotify/YouTube/BBC iPlayer greatest hit's performances of previous festivals. It would certainly be entertaining for those who saw said performances live, give people a buzz, but keep it low enough so the sound was contained.

8 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hopefully that’s the case . Did other festivals drop them ? Would love a silent disco in woodsies as that’s right by base camp 

Plenty still have them - Reading and Leeds have 2 at each site, boardmasters has europe (world's?) biggest at its main stage on thursday too

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Hmm, I do love a Glastonbury theory or two, for fun. 

Would be interesting if they could carve out a long narrow area to rival the Park. Stands, bars, cafes, all playing live music, focused on sustainable wood working, carvings etc.

An area like this.

image.png.003b3ccbf289e238b19fed2c2d61645d.png

Ooo I hadn't really thought about doing it lengthways. That's interesting! 

Yeah, I see that entrance into it through the woods being almost like a secret entrance into it.

6 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I don't think they ever put it back.

Indeed - if you look at the aerial shots year by year, the exact line has moved slightly a few times but overall the space given to the crowd is larger now than it was in 2013.

11 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I getcha.

So, there could be a new installation at WG? That seems slightly counterproductive to drawing people away from that area on the Thurs by adding MORE stuff there. Unless they're doing a switcheroo on us and putting live music on where Cinemaarmaggeddon used to be?

I'm guessing here, but creating an installation (maybe a rehash of the '87 Carhenge) over the whole field and a small stage/DJ booth with speakers throughout the field would safely increase the capacity of the field? 

Would help to address the overcrowding issues on the Wednesday and Thursday. 

9 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

I'm guessing here, but creating an installation (maybe a rehash of the '87 Carhenge) over the whole field and a small stage/DJ booth with speakers throughout the field would safely increase the capacity of the field? 

Would help to address the overcrowding issues on the Wednesday and Thursday. 

That's not a bad shout at all. Really like that idea. If it was open air (perhaps with shade sails in case it's too sunny, God forbid), but kept to the same sound level, it'd certainly hold a lot more people. Could it be used later perhaps as well as a helpful distraction to the SEC? I don't know what the licence would say, but in general it's a good concept.

13 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, but that's what I mean, if the sound was so low that you had to be in the venue to hear it loudly enough, couldn't they do something similar at Woodsies and the Acoustic? That way you could have some kind of Spotify/YouTube/BBC iPlayer greatest hit's performances of previous festivals. It would certainly be entertaining for those who saw said performances live, give people a buzz, but keep it low enough so the sound was contained.

But everyone turns up and its a mess anyway. So its sort of useless. 

12 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Ooo I hadn't really thought about doing it lengthways. That's interesting! 

Yeah, I see that entrance into it through the woods being almost like a secret entrance into it.

I was thinking that if Cinermarmeggeddon is really gone, they could cut into the campsite called Woodsies the same sized wedge. It would at least make sense to call the tent Woodsies from now on as opposed the Lower Mead Tent. They'd have the extra camping where C-ARM was. I guess they would have to move the formerly known JP crew camping though, or reduce it, so I don't know what they'd do with that but a rejig doesn't look out of the question.

They must be including the tent further into the Woodsies campsite though because otherwise why would they rename it with that name.

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I was thinking that if Cinermarmeggeddon is really gone, they could cut into the campsite called Woodsies the same sized wedge. It would at least make sense to call the tent Woodsies from now on as opposed the Lower Mead Tent. They'd have the extra camping where C-ARM was. I guess they would have to move the formerly known JP crew camping though, or reduce it, so I don't know what they'd do with that but a rejig doesn't look out of the question.

They must be including the tent further into the Woodsies campsite though because otherwise why would they rename it with that name.

Was thinking they might just replace Cinemarregedon with camping (athough a little acoustic bar with a camp fire would be lovely) but it’s a long extra walk for the gate A people on coaches etc 

From a very quick skip of the comments it seems like alot if getting cut but not much being updated or added (from our knowledge so far) 

Considering the cost of the ticket and (Personally) meh-decent line up, this is sad news. I know ill have a great time there but feel like we're in a new era of Glastonbury in someways 

1 minute ago, aj6658 said:

From a very quick skip of the comments it seems like alot if getting cut but not much being updated or added (from our knowledge so far) 

Considering the cost of the ticket and (Personally) meh-decent line up, this is sad news. I know ill have a great time there but feel like we're in a new era of Glastonbury in someways 

It’s all complete guesswork so far. I’d hold off being disappointed until there are official announcements. All the things being rumoured to go could all be being replaced with new stuff that is better than before.

3 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

I guess new things are harder to find out about, people want to keep it as a surprise whereas there's less incentive to hold back if you've been cut.

Should have the map in about 6 weeks though.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, Crazyfool01 said:

Hopefully that’s the case . Did other festivals drop them ? Would love a silent disco in woodsies as that’s right by base camp 

The Park one was dropped in 2019. From discussions then I believe the people that ran it were Dutch and it was going to be challenging to bring it over post Brexit.

I'm assuming the Silver Hayes one went due to the change in area organisers.

16 hours ago, andymk said:

The Park one was dropped in 2019. From discussions then I believe the people that ran it were Dutch and it was going to be challenging to bring it over post Brexit.

I'm assuming the Silver Hayes one went due to the change in area organisers.

The last time I saw the Silver Hayes one was 2017.

On 3/20/2023 at 11:16 AM, giantkatestacks said:

Agree for me Williams Green is in completely the wrong place as we saw last year when they had to close the whole area. I like the pier as well. I would actually like more stuff like that and less money spent on djs but that's why they have to find a balance. 

Williams green isn't in the wrong place, it's just that having stuff there and only there on Thursday is idiotic

The rest of the festival Williams green is an amazing stage that for some reason the majority skip. Always has brilliant up and coming acts that move on to bigger stages in the years following (Amyl and the Sniffers, BC Camplight, The Big Moon, Yard Act etc. to name a very few recent ones)

For me, it's without doubt the best music stage at Glastonbury, and I'd be raging if it's replaced with some naff art installation to sit and eat £15 food with a £7 pint of Carlsberg

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Williams green isn't in the wrong place, it's just that having stuff there and only there on Thursday is idiotic

The rest of the festival Williams green is an amazing stage that for some reason the majority skip. Always has brilliant up and coming acts that move on to bigger stages in the years following (Amyl and the Sniffers, BC Camplight, The Big Moon, Yard Act etc. to name a very few recent ones)

For me, it's without doubt the best music stage at Glastonbury, and I'd be raging if it's replaced with some naff art installation to sit and eat £15 food with a £7 pint of Carlsberg

I couldnt agree with this any more!! Was at both amyl and yard act - amazing performances

folly group and nuha ruby ra played to tiny crowds early last year but were brilliant. Its programming needs to stay, in some form or another.

Black midi played very early one year, it was rammed. During the main part of the fest its great. They should just put small acts on the thursday which would solve the issue. Just put good up & coming acts that need the exposure and not Mel C and Bastille. Its not rocket science.

46 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I totally agree with this.

Just look back at how successful some of the acts playing there 4 or 5 years ago are now. Shame if it is axed and not replaced with something comparable.

29 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

I have received confirmation Wicket Ground family camping is staying where it usually is located, as is Spring Ground Accessible camping which will be in the same location as previous years. 

I'd heard there was going to be more space for accessible live in vehicles?

32 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I'd heard there was going to be more space for accessible live in vehicles?

I haven't heard about this, however that would make sense to me.

There was a rumour a few months ago on here that Spring Ground Accessible camp site was moving to where the Family camping currently is on Wicket Ground though i have spoken to the accessible team and they have confirmed this is not true and both camp sites remain where they are usually situated. 

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Map should be due shortly … not sure if that’s an Emily soon or not 

Any month now...  Should the thingy be updated to include when Easter was each year?  have a feeling announcements have always been incredibly thin around it - would love some news!

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

I haven't heard about this, however that would make sense to me.

There was a rumour a few months ago on here that Spring Ground Accessible camp site was moving to where the Family camping currently is on Wicket Ground though i have spoken to the accessible team and they have confirmed this is not true and both camp sites remain where they are usually situated. 

It wasn't a rumour, it was confirmed as happening on the accessibility application form. They've clearly decided against doing it though.