Line Up Announced

CaledonianGonzo

11 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I mean whatever works. But if youre going to give an interview and say those things about diversity and then just make it seem like youre fixing it visually and nothing more, whats the damn point.

Don’t worry about it. She said last June some years Glastonbury would have all Male headliners and nobody listened. Can’t see why they’d listen to anything else she says.

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Don’t worry about it. She said last June some years Glastonbury would have all Male headliners and nobody listened. Can’t see why they’d listen to anything else she says.

Do you have a link to this? I thought I remembered her saying something along those lines (in my head it was something like "we're not always going to be achieve the level of representation we would like") but I can't seem to find it from Googling, so thought I was going mad 🙂

Think the poster is a little bit out of touch. A lot of the artists were big 7-10 years ago or more. Missing so many acts that could be there that are emerging (pinkpantheress) and a severe lack of electronic/dance music. I know a lot gets announced later but was expecting the likes of Kaytranada, TSHA, Blessed Madonna, Jayda G, Enny, Peggy Gou, Jai Paul, SAULT, Channel Tres, Joy Anonymous. Still a few on there excited for but very disappointing 

48 minutes ago, gfa said:

Fatboy did SH on his quest to tick off every stage last year so won't be there.

Royal Blood can definitely do 3rd down pyramid.

TWOD is locked as JP i think?

Alt J are no way still other headline

No info on TWOD other than they’re on the Sunday I don’t think, unless I’ve missed something? Reckon they’ll be pre-QOTSA on Other myself.

18 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Im not worried about it at all. And my thought process when it was starting to look like all males this year was that they went back to the safe side of talent booking. Emily has also stated they want to please everyone. Well the years there has been a headliner that isnt "pleasing" its gone massively well. Stormzy was great, Jay Z etc. she shouldnt be worried about what punters think, book YOUR lineup, book YOUR headliners and people will either like it  and pay off their balance or return the ticket. Its that simple. When your event sells out without any announcements it should give you lots of freedom to do whatever you want. Take the chances, either they pay off or they dont. 

Edited by Suprefan

8 minutes ago, Jackglasto said:

Think the poster is a little bit out of touch. A lot of the artists were big 7-10 years ago or more. Missing so many acts that could be there that are emerging (pinkpantheress) and a severe lack of electronic/dance music. I know a lot gets announced later but was expecting the likes of Kaytranada, TSHA, Blessed Madonna, Jayda G, Enny, Peggy Gou, Jai Paul, SAULT, Channel Tres, Joy Anonymous. Still a few on there excited for but very disappointing 

None of those are big enough to necessitate being included on the first poster, though. Could all still appear down the line, many are likely to.

9 minutes ago, Jackglasto said:

Quite a few of those could easily still appear once the area line ups come out.

19 minutes ago, cellar said:

Do you have a link to this? I thought I remembered her saying something along those lines (in my head it was something like "we're not always going to be achieve the level of representation we would like") but I can't seem to find it from Googling, so thought I was going mad 🙂

Sure do

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/244149-headliners-2023/?do=findComment&comment=6522814

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Bit surprised Wet Leg aren't playing again, they struck me as the type of band that would be booked every year till they ended up headlining one of the stages.

Overall I think it's quite a decent line up tho. 

Could still be. Might be waiting to see if the first album was a flash in the pan

19 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Im not worried about it at all. And my thought process when it was starting to look like all males this year was that they went back to the safe side of talent booking. Emily has also stated they want to please everyone. Well the years there has been a headliner that isnt "pleasing" its gone massively well. Stormzy was great, Jay Z etc. she shouldnt be worried about what punters think, book YOUR lineup, book YOUR headliners and people will either like it  and pay off their balance or return the ticket. Its that simple. When your event sells out without any announcements it should give you lots of freedom to do whatever you want. Take the chances, either they pay off or they dont. 

I think GNR is a bit out of Glastonbury’s usual wheelhouse in the same way Jay-Z, Metallica was. Yes they’re a big stadium act but they’re still a bit of a sidestep.

I totally disagree about them not worrying about punters think though. They have to plan every festival and assume they need to attract punters. As soon as they start thinking ‘oh we’ll just book what we want, it sells out anyway’ complacency will set in, and they’ll stop selling out.

As for playing it safe this year, if that’s what they’ve done, I would understand. The U.K. is suffering through high inflation, even higher food inflation, and a cost of living crisis. They knew they were going to have to put ticket prices up a lot. If there is ever a time to start arrogantly thinking they don’t have to try and please people, this isn’t it.

Just now, Olshansky said:

For me the biggest surprise is just that they've chosed to reveal so few names on the poster.  I did expect to see Siouxsie though, but maybe that's on its way. It's gonna be grand and it's gonna be sunny.  

Current theory seems to be that it's a gender split thing. They've got more big names to announce but they're mostly fellas and it would throw a first poster totally out of whack since most of the ladies will be further down the bill. 

4 hours ago, maelzoid said:

You hear right. I assume this will be your first Glastonbury... If so, congrats. Despite the grumbling around here, you will have an amazing time. And it is huge compared to other fests. Huge.

Yup first time - not a dream lineup overall so far but I reckon the experience itself will be more than enough to make it a memorial weekend! 

59 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

It means that everyone needs to stop getting upset that if the price goes up and the talent level doesnt meet that price you have to realize the cost increase is to keep the lights on. Lets expect more dj's on those small stages again and less bands.

My prediction of hitting £400 in 5 years is way ahead of schedule now. Next year itll go up another £25 easy.

I'm not upset about the price, I was pointing out that the fact she is saying they have charged half as much extra as it would have cost just to keep it the same as last year, when last year already felt a little bit cut back. So we are looking at cut backs on last years cut backs.

It's probably an unpopular opinion seeing he is such a big part of the history of the place, but I wonder how much of the budget could be saved by losing the two big Joe Rush installations (Glastonbury on sea and Cinemaggedon). Neither of which seem worth the time and effort to be honest.

I would be happy to pay a lot more than the current price, I think it is terrific value for what we get. But I'm not blind to the fact that I'm in a privileged position to be able to afford it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mazola said:

I'm not upset about the price, I was pointing out that the fact she is saying they have charged half as much extra as it would have cost just to keep it the same as last year, when last year already felt a little bit cut back. So we are looking at cut backs on last years cut backs.

It's probably an unpopular opinion seeing he is such a big part of the history of the place, but I wonder how much of the budget could be saved by losing the two big Joe Rush installations (Glastonbury on sea and Cinemaggedon). Neither of which seem worth the time and effort to be honest.

I would be happy to pay a lot more than the current price, I think it is terrific value for what we get. But I'm not blind to the fact that I'm in a privileged position to be able to afford it.

Now that the set is already built for them, probably not a whole lot.

57 minutes ago, Jackglasto said:

Honestly, all the dance stuff gets announced later. They won't be on the stages that are announced in this batch. 

59 minutes ago, Jackglasto said:

Have SAULT even ever performed live?!