Dream Sponsor at Glasto

gfa

On 2/19/2023 at 12:15 AM, TheDayman said:

Free stuff is never really free, we pay for it one way or another.

Yup. Brands give away 'free' stuff at events knowing it'll appear in Instagram feeds, or people will head onto Twitter or internet forums to say how great their 'free' stuff is.

Most people don't care, but I personally hate the idea of being used as free advertising space.

On 2/19/2023 at 1:15 AM, gfa said:

There are already drink brands😂

I was referring to the big drink brands like Heineken, Budweiser and Guinness who's level of sponsorship at many festivals allows them to dicate festival policies.

For example, most other festivals don't allow you to bring your own alcohol into the main festival arena. This means more security check points, delays and ultimately a level of control over the festival layout itself.

And then we also need to consider how the above mentioned brands severely limit selection and overly inflate pricing.

These same brands bring those "free" things you mentioned to festivals and in many cases go as far as sponsoring entire stages/areas while also funding the musical talent appearing at them.

These are examples of the indirect costs of sponsorship and I singled out drinks brands in particular given the objective of their sponsorships - to maximise sales/profit on site at festivals. Something like Three Mobile would have a different commercial objective which mainly, and most of the time solely, relates to brand activation and awareness. They don't want to sell you anything on site but rather aim to send you home thinking positively about their brand.

19 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I was referring to the big drink brands like Heineken, Budweiser and Guinness who's level of sponsorship at many festivals allows them to dicate festival policies.

For example, most other festivals don't allow you to bring your own alcohol into the main festival arena. This means more security check points, delays and ultimately a level of control over the festival layout itself.

And then we also need to consider how the above mentioned brands severely limit selection and overly inflate pricing.

These same brands bring those "free" things you mentioned to festivals and in many cases go as far as sponsoring entire stages/areas while also funding the musical talent appearing at them.

These are examples of the indirect costs of sponsorship and I singled out drinks brands in particular given the objective of their sponsorships - to maximise sales/profit on site at festivals. Something like Three Mobile would have a different commercial objective which mainly, and most of the time solely, relates to brand activation and awareness. They don't want to sell you anything on site but rather aim to send you home thinking positively about their brand.

Don't carlsberg do this anyway? and like whichever spirits/ red bull are at the bars?

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Don't carlsberg do this anyway? and like whichever spirits/ red bull are at the bars?

Yep... Carlsberg 

(As far as I can find) They first struck the deal in 2007... So they've had at least 15 years of big brewer sponsorship... 

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2007/02/20/Carlsberg-strikes-Glastonbury-deal

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Yeah, there are concessions in place at all the main bars covering. One of the many background not sponsorships that they do, Similar deal with coca cola. They'll have an agreed price with the festival that probably includes a hefty discount if they get exclusivity. 

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah, there are concessions in place at all the main bars covering. One of the many background not sponsorships that they do, Similar deal with coca cola. They'll have an agreed price with the festival that probably includes a hefty discount if they get exclusivity. 

Not 100% sure what you mean by "background not sponsorship." But it's definitely a sponsorship... Carlsberg are classified as "Official beer of Glastonbury Festival." Everything down to the cups is branded with Carlsberg all over it... Carlsberg are given corporate tickets, as well as ticket packages to run competitions with... 

I've been trying to think of a sensible answer to this but can't because as everyone says big, huge companies are rarely free of potential corruption, bad politics etc so I think I can may just suggest some tie in's that would be hugely helpful. 

1 On Wednesday run some kind of strong person competition to help people bring their stuff in with them. 

2 If could personally have a visit every day from the Buzzy Bee Bakery (it's one relatively local to me. I have no ties to them whatsoever other than regularly buying stuff from them)at about 12-ish every day to stop me getting hangry with some delicious freshly baked brookies. I brought a load last year for our Tuesday picnic and honestly hubby and I sharing one each day saved us a lot of queuing for snacks. 

3 Monday Get another strong person competition going to make sure everything gets packed up. I'm not entirely sure how we determine the winner of this but am thinking weigh them as they pick stuff up and have gps pedometers to see who has carried the most weight the longest distance. 

2 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Not 100% sure what you mean by "background not sponsorship." But it's definitely a sponsorship... Carlsberg are classified as "Official beer of Glastonbury Festival." Everything down to the cups is branded with Carlsberg all over it... Carlsberg are given corporate tickets, as well as ticket packages to run competitions with... 

Yeah I agree, but talk of sponsorship gets people mad because Glastonbury "would never". 

14 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Yeah I agree, but talk of sponsorship gets people mad because Glastonbury "would never". 

It's all necessary sponsorship - Glastonbury don't have the capacity to operate their own mobile networks, brew their own beers and broadcast to the nation, so they have to get companies involved for these things.  All the 'sponsorships' they have are to enhance the festival or experience and not to advertise a product in exchange for ££.

55 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's all necessary sponsorship - Glastonbury don't have the capacity to operate their own mobile networks, brew their own beers and broadcast to the nation, so they have to get companies involved for these things.  All the 'sponsorships' they have are to enhance the festival or experience and not to advertise a product in exchange for ££.

It absoloutely is to advertise a product in exchange for ££ from Carlsberg's (or any of the other's) POV.

Although I think I get what you're saying, I think you're saying that from the festivals point of view, there are essential services that need to be provided, and they need outside help to provide those services and that infrastructure... The incentives that they can offer to companies for providing those services are the sponsorship packages we see in place currently. This system provides the essential services / infrastructure and at the same time keeps the costs for punters down... Rather than them just offering out sponsorship packages willy nilly as an easy way to increase revenue, they only use sponsorships as a way of ensuring the festival can actually happen. 

25 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It absoloutely is to advertise a product in exchange for ££ from Carlsberg's (or any of the other's) POV.

Although I think I get what you're saying, I think you're saying that from the festivals point of view, there are essential services that need to be provided, and they need outside help to provide those services and that infrastructure... The incentives that they can offer to companies for providing those services are the sponsorship packages we see in place currently. This system provides the essential services / infrastructure and at the same time keeps the costs for punters down... Rather than them just offering out sponsorship packages willy nilly as an easy way to increase revenue, they only use sponsorships as a way of ensuring the festival can actually happen. 

Yes, that's right and the sponsorships are low key and advertising is mostly only visible to the people at the festival.   There's no Virgin Media Stage / Ray Ban stage or any of that nonsense.  If you weren't at the festival you wouldn't know who the beer sponsors were etc. 

And thankfully, Diesel can't pay to host shit DJ's and catwalk models on the 'Only the brave stage' or anything like that.

10 hours ago, stuie said:

Yes, that's right and the sponsorships are low key and advertising is mostly only visible to the people at the festival.   There's no Virgin Media Stage / Ray Ban stage or any of that nonsense.  If you weren't at the festival you wouldn't know who the beer sponsors were etc. 

And thankfully, Diesel can't pay to host shit DJ's and catwalk models on the 'Only the brave stage' or anything like that.

I agree, with 99% of what you're saying, but the highlighted bit is just wrong... And yes, I feel like a pedantic prick for feeling the need to point it out, I just can't help myself, sawwy. 🙈  But Carlsberg and Brothers do like to make a song and dance about being the official beer / cider outside of the festival too... Of course they do, or else what's in it for them?

Having said that, fair play to you for clearly never having noticed it... Guessing that means you do not endulge in piss water when not forced to do so... 🙈😂😂 

Carlsberg-Glastonbury-competition.png.124238de34d92bc71d949111cb195efa.png

757893045_Crlsberg-Co-op-Glastonbury-2022-Tickets-1600434.thumb.png.9ef54b87e619fd004bf5159815d55435.png

https://www.carlsberg.com/en-gb/live-music-collaborations/

(However, personally, I spotted the Brothers glasto marketing way more than the Carlsberg stuff in the run up to last year... The Brothers stuff was everywhere in the months before the festival, including here in the Midlands.) 

Brothers-Glastonbury-Competition.png.300242df5e7cf224dea40bd5249e78e2.png

Brother-Cider-Glastonbury-2022.thumb.png.6cf9a6d70fc4ddd6978c6c8b9588d167.png

EE make a fair amount of noise about it outside of the festival too, mainly on social media, but also in their stores and on their own website.

That being said, the caveat is that maybe I noticed these things due to attending the festival... I can't vouch for the effectiveness of this advertising to those who have nothing to do with the event in the first place... 🤷‍♂️