The most you’ve ever paid for a gig?

Hugh Jass II

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

To add to this. In some countries, standing crowds are far nicer than here. We wanted to see Dave Matthews a few years back but instead of paying out the ass for London we took a family weekend trip to Copenhagen and made a mini-holiday out of it. 

The Danes are so polite that one of us could walk out from standing 3 rows back from the front, get some beers and walk them back in without a single issue. Maybe DMB fans are also a factor but that positive vibe really added to the night.

Can contribute to the high opinions of the Danes, had a similar experience when I went there for the short lived Haven fest The National put on in 2017.

Not one of the cheaper countries to visit though.

34 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep if you can find somewhere you wanted to go as well. I believe Poland is pretty good for ticket prices. 

I also recall Simon Calder giving this as a tip if you ever want to travel first class he said fly to Spain as an example and the chances are you can get a first class flight about a third cheaper from there. Not a tip I've ever had the opportunity to use yet but might be useful to someone if you were ever planning something for a very special occasion. 

Yes. We're off to see Depeche Mode in the Summer in Warsaw and combining it with a holiday.  Tickets were about £25 cheaper than the Twickenham gig (though my wife is going to that one as well as they're her favourite band).

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

For the purposes of this conversation just the ticket.

Obviously if people are travelling to Poland to see The National for instance that will work out more expensive than most gigs, but then you wouldn't just be going to the gig, you'd be making a weekend or few days of it presumably.

Normally, yes, do exactly what you say, but once flew to Belfast back in 2013 to watch Nine Inch Nails play a one off gig over there, and as it was a Wednesday, flew back the very next day

14 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Forgot about Elton tickets....

I paid £330 for two in 2018, the gig is still yet to happen 

Managed to get £50 tickets for Reg too.

As I’ve said before, that gig is a few days before my son’s third birthday. He hadn’t even been conceived when we first bought the tickets.

31 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Forgot about Elton tickets....

I paid £330 for two in 2018, the gig is still yet to happen 

I'm thinking I got a bargain, only £102.55 each, bought all those years ago, on looking now I see it's rear view seats. Worst value for money if all I see his the back of his head!

I balked at Peter Gabriel's So - Back to Front tour in 2014 at £50, which I really wanted to see, when a lot of O2 concerts were still around the £30 mark

...then a mate had a spare ticket that he let me have for £25 so I saw it anyway! Not going to see PG on his new tour this year at those silly prices though (unless you have one to sell again Paul.....?)

Most I ever paid was a bit over £100 to see The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan on the same bill at O2 in 2017 (sadly Walter Becker passed away a couple of months before the gig). Not sure if that even counts as 'a single gig', but it was a great evening and didn't regret it for a second. Haven't paid that much since then though, and with Glasto success again this year I don't expect I will...

50 minutes ago, dondo said:

Yes. We're off to see Depeche Mode in the Summer in Warsaw and combining it with a holiday.  Tickets were about £25 cheaper than the Twickenham gig (though my wife is going to that one as well as they're her favourite band).

I went for seeing them in Bologna, again, cheaper tickets, and a much smaller stadium than Twickenham.  Making it a full long weekend (and celebrating my birthday out there as well)

45 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

See, you're even older than me!! ha ha. I paid an exorbitant £2.50 for the Stones in the very same place.

Apollo Tickets.JPG

Yes, some of my old tickets are for the greens playhouse which became the Apollo in around 73. I must have been at quite a few of those gigs. Loved the greens/Apollo with its huge queues in Renfield St, broken seats, sticky carpet and air filled with all sorts of smoke!   Led Zep and Alice Coopers first U.K. gig remain the best memory of it! 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, I paid a whole quid to see Led Zeppelin 

26EE2A9F-8E9B-428E-8A0A-3F1B3E635152.thumb.jpeg.78afa34ba76ba8f75e4d99c2a6c472ab.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

See, you're even older than me!! ha ha. I paid an exorbitant £2.50 for the Stones in the very same place.

Apollo Tickets.JPG

One of my life regrets is I somehow lost my old ticket stubs during a house move. It's also a shame that it's no longer something you can do in most cases. I guess you could take screen shots of your downloaded tickets but not the same, is it?

My first was £2.50 for Iron Maiden on the Killers tour.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

that was a great show Jimmy Eat World, Taking Back Sunday and errr Hard Fi were the support, it was roasting,

I forgot about TBS but yeah, I like to pretend that Hard-Fi weren't technically the first "proper band" I saw live and instead it was Jimmy Eat World... who I wasn't even into at the time 🤣 few years later

£91 for Blink 182's upcoming tour is the most I have paid and to be honest I actually wouldn't have paid that if I had the choice. 

A friend was getting the tickets and I just presumed they would have checked in before proceeding but nah, so I have a £91 seated Blink 182 ticket. I wouldn't have gone at all if I knew it was going to have to sit!

I dropped about £500 for a pair of tickets to Roger Waters at the NEC during his 2018 tour. They were 'platinum' priced but were literally front row. In the end logistics getting to Brum got the better of me, and I had to sell them on ebay for a minor loss. Ended up in the cheap 'seats' at Hyde Park for the same tour, which while way cheaper obviously a lesser experience. A lesson learned.

Was very close to dropping a £100+ each on a few tickets for Bob Dylan at the Apollo last year and to this day still a bit annoyed at myself that I didn't but I was quite skint at the time, so highest is probably about £70 for Paul Simon at Manchester arena which was totally worth it, he seemed to play forever in a 26 song mega set.