The 2023 food stall thread!

Franky

Right, have tried to make a map of all the Vegan/Veggie places from last year using the co-ordinates on the photos I took.......what do we think....does this look accurate.....any photos with co-ords I can add? 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1LVoOLPzWLRWD3n-wPyRHO0sD5D-C1ZQ&ll=51.15334593234395%2C-2.594175505136971&z=15

On 5/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, JayDiesel said:

Slightly off topic, but I went to Primavera last year, and the food situation there was out of this world. A completely dedicated food hall style setup with stands selling literally every type of food imaginable - there must have been 70-80 stands within the space of about 400m, it was outrageous. 

This has set my expectations for Glastonbury at an unattainably high standard

I'm surprised to hear this. I've been to many Glastos and about 8 Primaveras but I have not seen that amount of choice at Prima.. and certainly nothing that remotely compares with what Glasto offers. Fair enough I'm always put off by prices and I'm sure many of the Prima stalls are great. I've only tried a few.

I used to rant about the Manic Boreganic as 'The McDonald's of the Green Fields'.. simply because they seemed to have the same menu since time began.... but in fairness it was always good, healthy, fresh and reasonable value. I also used to rant about Le Grand Ripoffe... because I would watch the huge lovely vat of sausages being slowly stirred and finally give in.. pay 8.50 or whatever it was... only to get a small bowl of potatoes with one sausage on top... but the latter at least was gone last time... anyway I know that's all negative and not helpful.. my favourite food last year (I think) was the feted Cheese Toastie van. Sounds very basic but the cheese was lovely and it was properly melted.. oh my!.. In the day the cafe by Cabaret (Children's World?) was doing the best value food on site. Basic stodge- but you could choose what you wanted, it was well cooked and great value.

I don't usually go for sweet things as I'd much rather save myself for savoury.  But I made an exception for the Crumble Shack last year and I can agree it was bloody good!

And Billy Bragg is also a fan - he said he had to stand at a particular part of the Left Field Stage so that he couldn't see the shack and be distracted by wondering what variety he would choose next.

18 hours ago, Levitz said:

Right, have tried to make a map of all the Vegan/Veggie places from last year using the co-ordinates on the photos I took.......what do we think....does this look accurate.....any photos with co-ords I can add? 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1LVoOLPzWLRWD3n-wPyRHO0sD5D-C1ZQ&ll=51.15334593234395%2C-2.594175505136971&z=15

I volunteer on the festival info desks - if any have moved we’ve got an A-Z of traders by name with grid refs (don’t get details of what they are just the name) so swing past to see if we can help 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Another eforum account said:

I volunteer on the festival info desks - if any have moved we’ve got an A-Z of traders by name with grid refs (don’t get details of what they are just the name) so swing past to see if we can help 

Now that would be my dream volunteering role, how do you apply to do it? 😀

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

First year of having diabetes this year so not the normal in on the food front will need to put some thought into it.

Any suggestions for stalls suitable for a type 2 diabetic? 

Same.

Well, it's probably not the first year of having diabetes for me, it's the first year of having the diagnosis. I almost definitely already had it at last year's festival.

It's a little tricky what with nearly every option being potato/pasta/rice based or a pizza. Although as portions aren't massive, the occasional curry with rice wouldn't be the worst. Will be avoiding the chips though.

12 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Same.

Well, it's probably not the first year of having diabetes for me, it's the first year of having the diagnosis. I almost definitely already had it at last year's festival.

It's a little tricky what with nearly every option being potato/pasta/rice based or a pizza. Although as portions aren't massive, the occasional curry with rice wouldn't be the worst. Will be avoiding the chips though.

Same here mate think I knew I had it last year given how shattered I was. 

My main issue isn't the booze but not caring enough on the food I still eat crap and want to keep my toes so need to behave 

31 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Same here mate think I knew I had it last year given how shattered I was. 

My main issue isn't the booze but not caring enough on the food I still eat crap and want to keep my toes so need to behave 

Thankfully I gave up drinking years back and now just have the very occasional drink, including my traditional cider at Glastonbury.

My issue too was bad food, and just too much of it generally. Was very overweight (actually obese)and unfit. But I've lost 5 stone since December and am in a much better place. Just waiting for my next review to see where I'm at. Just glad the diagnosis gave me the kick up the arse I've long needed.

Hope you're able to find the motivation too. I know it's different for everyone so zero judgement from me at all. Genuinely if you want to ask anything or talk about it feel free to DM me. I don't know about you but when I was first diagnosed I was ashamed to tell people about it. In fact for a while the only place I talked about it outside my GPs office was in the fitness thread on here. Which is a very supportive place by the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Thankfully I gave up drinking years back and now just have the very occasional drink, including my traditional cider at Glastonbury.

My issue too was bad food, and just too much of it generally. Was very overweight (actually obese)and unfit. But I've lost 5 stone since December and am in a much better place. Just waiting for my next review to see where I'm at. Just glad the diagnosis gave me the kick up the arse I've long needed.

Hope you're able to find the motivation too. I know it's different for everyone so zero judgement from me at all. Genuinely if you want to ask anything or talk about it feel free to DM me. I don't know about you but when I was first diagnosed I was ashamed to tell people about it. In fact for a while the only place I talked about it outside my GPs office was in the fitness thread on here. Which is a very supportive place by the way.

Cheers pal much appreciated.

I need to start my journey right now as my body is hurting and mentally I know I'm doing myself harm but not stopping ends in a vicous circle. 

Got given appetite suppression jabs but they don't seem to be working. 

On 5/13/2023 at 2:25 AM, Beerqueen said:

I don't usually go for sweet things as I'd much rather save myself for savoury.  But I made an exception for the Crumble Shack last year and I can agree it was bloody good!

And Billy Bragg is also a fan - he said he had to stand at a particular part of the Left Field Stage so that he couldn't see the shack and be distracted by wondering what variety he would choose next.

Along with Crumble Shack, I'm on a mission to find some different desserts every day! I can't wait 

1 hour ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Cheers pal much appreciated.

I need to start my journey right now as my body is hurting and mentally I know I'm doing myself harm but not stopping ends in a vicous circle. 

Got given appetite suppression jabs but they don't seem to be working. 

Good luck, you'll get there.

2 hours ago, jonesyb said:

Along with Crumble Shack, I'm on a mission to find some different desserts every day! I can't wait 

Just around the corner from Crumble Shack (by the yellow circle with an i in it on this map) were a dessert place doing great cheesecake ( by the second a in Pharmacy) and nearly opposite that a place doing nice waffles with ice cream and various toppings. Dessert central!

Screenshot_2023-05-14-21-17-12-625_com.miui.gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

WG had some great food options last year.  Poutine, Roaming Rotisserie, Indian Street Food, Jamaican Jerk Chicken.  Hope they're all back and haven't been replaced by vertical cars.

On 5/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, JayDiesel said:

Slightly off topic, but I went to Primavera last year, and the food situation there was out of this world. A completely dedicated food hall style setup with stands selling literally every type of food imaginable - there must have been 70-80 stands within the space of about 400m, it was outrageous. 

This has set my expectations for Glastonbury at an unattainably high standard

Done both multiple times and honestly Glastonbury wins on food; the pure variety is outrageously good.

Primavera last year seemed quite limited with repeated stalls offering exactly the same? Previous years had better selections and more independent vendors.

There used to be a kebab stall at the back of the food hall and it was far and away the greatest kebabs I have ever or will ever eat. Wasn't there last year sadly.

I miss the original Mr Toastie caravan stall tat used to be near the meeting point. I went there so much that one of the staff recognised me the -Next Festival- when i went for my usual cheese and onion 🙂

The current generic van nearer the entrance to the kidz field is ok, but lacks something. But as I caravan it these days, it's generally the last food I grab before heading to bed, so it'll have to do.

the other 'toastie' venues on site do not deserve recognition.