Glastonbury is so much more than headliners

Crazyfool01

The first picture I posted was on day 1 to be fair...🤣

But I didn't think they were too bad this year. The water aid team do an amazing job, they are literally Glasto Angels. I took a picture of them over in the SE corner early hours of the morning and gave them a shoutout on socials at the time. Strong stomachs on these guys for sure! But look at the smiles...only at Glasto can you be in a shit show and still be happy.

That says it all about the magic 😊20220625_023002.thumb.jpg.e697213ab28d146538e0b80faf153fc1.jpg

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I don't think they're all paid as I'm sure some people who volunteer for Water Aid end up on "poo crew". But yeah I've seen them being blasted down before too. Maybe they did it more this year or something.

Top 10 moments was walking past a long drop just as the loo crew came out at about 3am. Sparkling and there was ACTUAL SOAP in the sink.

5 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Exploring the little stages, chilling out away from the crowds with friends, and discovering new acts, such as here, the Small World stage in Green Futures, with the Little Unsaid. There’s plenty places I love, the Bimble Inn, Strummerville, Avalon Cafe, Croissant Neuf, Greenpeace etc…

8DCC339D-245D-48A4-A03B-5B6103ACB89D.jpeg

I was at this gig and it was great! Seen them a few times since.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it’s so much more that headliners. It’s cramming into the Avalon to see Frank Turner, sitting on a Strummerville sofa round the campfire late on, heading up to the stone circle after midnight, wandering up and down Williams green taking in random bands.   So much to see and do ,  one or two headliners at the most is the norm for us. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Exploring the little stages, chilling out away from the crowds with friends, and discovering new acts, such as here, the Small World stage in Green Futures, with the Little Unsaid. There’s plenty places I love, the Bimble Inn, Strummerville, Avalon Cafe, Croissant Neuf, Greenpeace etc…

Too true, it’s not only chilling out with friends,it’s chilling out with folk you’ve never met before and just chatting.  I hope those on here who are going for the first time realise this and don’t just concentrate on the pyramid headliners. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I swear I've said this to other people on here before when they've posted videos and pictures but I was there, I think I was sitting just behind the guy lying down in the blue t-shirt.  

Edited by Beerqueen
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I love that every year you go you can still find something new. Late night wandering is great for this but really any time of the day you'll still discover things.

This year I remember wandering SE Corner on the Thursday and went into this tent/bar. A song starts and a few people are doing this dance routine but then more and more people start coming in but all seem to know this dance. End up with about 50 odd people doing some kind of line dance whilst I am baffled as to how they all pick this up so quickly - I did check and they weren't all in on it 😄 

Sounds like maybe hakkuh or Gabba which kind of looks like a folk/line dance 🤷‍♂️

Well I spend most of my time not at Headliners, especially not Pyramid so that could be a long list...

I love taking a break at Permaculture. All of a sudden, half a dozen folks in the forest, having a tea or a bunch of fried veg, chilled crew an amazing break...!

More kudos to Small World from me too. And the Tipi village or field, whatever it's called (not the accomodation part). Or Strummerville late at night.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In our last year there we discovered and fell in love with the tiny tea tent.

Similarly missed the last fest, and apparently in our absence the 50p tea tent is no more! 😞 

Does anyone have thoughts on how the tiny tea tent compares to the 50p tea tent?  (and where is it!?)

Loved the 50p tent as a place to watch the world go by when feeling knackered - it's a nice corner of the site which isn't too busy but with a steady stream of traffic between railway line and stone circle so still good for people watching at any time of day.  Yes, we're cheapskates and the price was a big draw, but once you started buying a few cherry bakewells with each round of brews the sugar and caffeine soon got you back on your feet.  Eventually.  No rush.

35 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Similarly missed the last fest, and apparently in our absence the 50p tea tent is no more! 😞 

Does anyone have thoughts on how the tiny tea tent compares to the 50p tea tent?  (and where is it!?)

Loved the 50p tent as a place to watch the world go by when feeling knackered - it's a nice corner of the site which isn't too busy but with a steady stream of traffic between railway line and stone circle so still good for people watching at any time of day.  Yes, we're cheapskates and the price was a big draw, but once you started buying a few cherry bakewells with each round of brews the sugar and caffeine soon got you back on your feet.  Eventually.  No rush.

I never went to the 50p tea tent so can't compare I'm afraid! The tiny tea tent is in Greenfields, fairly close to West Holts. We found it a lovely spot to sit and recharge and they do really nice chai. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I never went to the 50p tea tent so can't compare I'm afraid! The tiny tea tent is in Greenfields, fairly close to West Holts. We found it a lovely spot to sit and recharge and they do really nice chai. 

Awesome, love a good chai.  I might spend the next festival trying different tea places.  The fact that this is probably possible is amazing 🙂 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I go there usually once or twice a day, ever since I decided years ago that it wasn't a good idea to drink only booze. I don't have very high tolerance so it's easy to get broken, but their tea and flapjacks sort me out. 

I remember before I went someone saying that you could go to Glastonbury and never see a music act and still have a ball. Now I love music with every essence of my being so couldn't even conceive of actually doing that but they were right. The thing that is special about Glastonbury is that it is basically a number of small festivals and one big one all being held in the same location on the same weekend. Every year I see the Avalon line up or the Park line up or the Greenpeace line up and think you know what if just this was the festival it'd be pretty great. So for me the main thing it gives you is choice which is why the Pyramid headliners bother me not a jot. Don't get me wrong I've seen plenty of them but I know and trust that if they don't appeal there will be plenty more that does appeal. 

If ever I have a gap in my plans I always head towards the theatre and circus fields. There is always something fun happening there. I've plonked myself on one of the deck chairs by I think it's called The Summer house stage quite a few times when I've needed a break and always been wonderfully entertained. I've skipped headliners and seen some fabulous circus acts as well. I always marvel that there seems to be a fairly decent crowd most places as well. 

The variety of food on offer has had many of us talking about the food line up being released should be a thing as well. I know we often have a few must-eats to go along with our must sees.

The first time I went to Glastonbury I worked in a very large office. There were 4 of us from my floor going and we all met up afterwards to compare experiences and honestly we barely had an act in common and that for me is the most special thing about it. Even the things that I personally don't like I'm glad they exist because it means that you get a wider variety of people who go as well and that too is what makes the festival special. 

Not to mention the volunteers in all my years of going I don't think I've ever come across a grump volunteer. Every time I've come in and out of the festival, every time I've signed something in and out of lock up's, even those cleaning the loos. Always cheerful. Thanks to each and every one of them who make my experience that much more wonderful. 

Basically what I'm saying is there's magic in them fields. Wish it could be bottled. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I remember 1 year (and 1 year only I believe), out at what is now the far end of the SE Corner, there was a roller skating /roller disco rink. 

It was great.... except that some of the 8x4 floor boards became loose, 

Oh, and there were ceiling support columns inside the skating area

😂

3 hours ago, airwaves said:

I remember 1 year (and 1 year only I believe), out at what is now the far end of the SE Corner, there was a roller skating /roller disco rink. 

😂

I’m pretty sure I zorbed at Glastonbury- you know the thing where you’re inside a big ball?

9 hours ago, airwaves said:

😂

It's the same at the skate rink I grew up at!!! (and still visit from time to time!) 

2017-04-01.jpg.ebdc336d6dc464c0b51b995792f19fda.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, Crazyfool01 said:

RIP copper dollar ... that place was amazing for similar 😞 

I miss Copperdollar! Me and my friends sacked off the headliners one night in 2016 and spent hours at Copperdollar dancing like loons. Standout memories are the secret tunnel that emerged from a garden shed, and a parade of skeletons performing a synchronized zombie dance to 'Dig Gravedigger Dig'. Awesome place 🥰

1 minute ago, BookAngel said:

I miss Copperdollar! Me and my friends sacked off the headliners one night in 2016 and spent hours at Copperdollar dancing like loons. Standout memories are the secret tunnel that emerged from a garden shed, and a parade of skeletons performing a synchronized zombie dance to 'Dig Gravedigger Dig'. Awesome place 🥰

2016 🙂 

IMG_1967.JPG

• Like 2