Albums of the year 2022 (publication lists(

2loor2iller

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Unsurprisingly my contenders aren't really featuring heavily in the lists, but I'm amazed that Death Cab For Cutie's effort hasn't popped up somewhere.

Yet again you recommend something I also like! Great effort by them (seeing them in Dublin in March next year, can't wait!). Also surprised the Warpaint album isn't popping up much, or indeed the new Alvvays and YYYs. Loved all of them this year.

59 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yet again you recommend something I also like! Great effort by them (seeing them in Dublin in March next year, can't wait!). Also surprised the Warpaint album isn't popping up much, or indeed the new Alvvays and YYYs. Loved all of them this year.

Glad you like.  I'm of the opinion that Foxglove Through The Clearcut is an absolute masterpiece of a track.

17 hours ago, Quark said:

I'm way more up to speed on music now than I ever was as a youngster.  The accessibility of streaming, this site, Twitter and just generally having my eyes and ears more open has been a revelation over the past 6 or 7 years.

Snap although this year hasn't been as good as the pandemic years. Who knew not being allowed outside could have been so good for my music game 😄 

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Snap although this year hasn't been as good as the pandemic years. Who knew not being allowed outside could have been so good for my music game 😄 

Word. 

I need to start my list for the "stuck with the family at Christmas and sneakingly playing records" time.

On 11/22/2022 at 6:39 AM, Hutchmaster said:

Extremely curious how Ants From Up There ranks in these lists. It's currently #3 on Metacritic with 92% for this year and by all accounts was praised to high heaven on here & the likes of Reddit (myself included), but it's not really making much of a dent on the early lists I've seen...

love the record, but it feels like it was released a million years ago to me, even though I think it was a February release.  

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Glad you like.  I'm of the opinion that Foxglove Through The Clearcut is an absolute masterpiece of a track.

I’m not expecting the album to be too high up many lists but it’ll definitely be in my top 10. You’re spot on about Foxglove, possibly the best song they’ve released since Plans. Their last few albums have been pretty safe  so it’s nice to see them still trying new things this far into their career.

1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

I’m not expecting the album to be too high up many lists but it’ll definitely be in my top 10. You’re spot on about Foxglove, possibly the best song they’ve released since Plans. Their last few albums have been pretty safe  so it’s nice to see them still trying new things this far into their career.

It felt a bit Hold Steady / Craig Finn in the vocals but still very DCFC, and the guitar sound was a bit Ride shoegazey-type sound to my ears.  Absolutely love it.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:39 PM, Quark said:

This one hasn't really grabbed me as much tbh. I might need to give it more of a chance, but I revisited their first album for the first time in a while the other day and it blew me away all over again. They've developed as a band and songwriters, but they've lost the immediacy of that first one a bit.

Unsurprisingly my contenders aren't really featuring heavily in the lists, but I'm amazed that Death Cab For Cutie's effort hasn't popped up somewhere.

I've put it on my list and actually started advent albums yesterday so have added it for today. It's strange they are a band I am aware of but don't think I have ever listened to an album by them until today. Yesterday I dedicated to The Beths as like you I had listened but it hadn't really grabbed me like their earlier work. Having given it a few listens I like it better but still prefer their earlier stuff. A bit punchier and less polished maybe. 

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I've put it on my list and actually started advent albums yesterday so have added it for today. It's strange they are a band I am aware of but don't think I have ever listened to an album by them until today. Yesterday I dedicated to The Beths as like you I had listened but it hadn't really grabbed me like their earlier work. Having given it a few listens I like it better but still prefer their earlier stuff. A bit punchier and less polished maybe. 

I actually went back to the new Beths one in the car this morning, and its definitely a better album than I initially gave credit for, better than their second I think. First one's still my fav.

12 hours ago, benali said:

https://bleep.com/top-10-albums-of-the-year-2022

Bleep top 10 has some of my favourites including Moin which should be in every list.

Surprised to see Scalping in there. It's not bad but it's not great, much more a live thing for me. 

I liked the Whatever the Weather album but only heard it quite recently.  Her album under her own name is in my top 50 though!  I could never get into the Lucrecia Dalt album which was strange as on paper it should have been something I liked.  Bjork at no. 17 for me. 

Will check out Moin as never heard of them!

12 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I realise as I listen to some albums how much a band or artist name can influence my thoughts about them. Put Just Mustard on today and they are absolutely nothing like how I thought they would sound based on the name. 

One of my biggest regrets was judging a band based on their name. I was living in Manchester in the late 80's/early 90's and kept seeing small posters for a band called The Stone Roses playing in local pubs. Decided with a name like that they must be rock/metal and didn't bother. Only a few months later they were huge and I loved their music.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

One of my biggest regrets was judging a band based on their name. I was living in Manchester in the late 80's/early 90's and kept seeing small posters for a band called The Stone Roses playing in local pubs. Decided with a name like that they must be rock/metal and didn't bother. Only a few months later they were huge and I loved their music.

Yep I'm a bugger for doing it as well if a band name doesn't connect me I can be instantly put off. 

On 11/24/2022 at 12:49 PM, Quark said:

I actually went back to the new Beths one in the car this morning, and its definitely a better album than I initially gave credit for, better than their second I think. First one's still my fav.

They're all strong but if I had to rank them I think I'd agree.  Think Jump Rope Gazers tails off a bit toward the end.

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I realise as I listen to some albums how much a band or artist name can influence my thoughts about them. Put Just Mustard on today and they are absolutely nothing like how I thought they would sound based on the name. 

Skullcrusher and deathcrash both totally go against any preconceptions you may have when reading their name.

As an aside I love Just Mustard. Their album is definitely up there for me. I'd love to have a top 50 like @lessthanwill1but I'd probably spend too long deliberating over what's number 37 or 38.

9 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

I liked the Whatever the Weather album but only heard it quite recently.  Her album under her own name is in my top 50 though!  I could never get into the Lucrecia Dalt album which was strange as on paper it should have been something I liked.  Bjork at no. 17 for me. 

Will check out Moin as never heard of them!

The Whatever the Weather album is so good. One slightly duff track aside the rest is beautiful. The Brainwaltzera record is absolutely amazing, I could listen to it on repeat all day.

I'll keep going on about Moin to the point where people get fed up with me.

55 minutes ago, benali said:

Skullcrusher and deathcrash both totally go against any preconceptions you may have when reading their name.

As an aside I love Just Mustard. Their album is definitely up there for me. I'd love to have a top 50 like @lessthanwill1but I'd probably spend too long deliberating over what's number 37 or 38.

Yep I expected them to be a kind of preppy male indie band. It was a much more interesting sound than I expected. 

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If I was picking right now I'd give it to Skinty Fia with Mr Morale coming in second.

YYY's are making a late push for the top five.

YYY's is one of my 2 biggest disappointments of the year (not as bad as Arctic Monkeys). I mean, it's alright, but if it's only 30 minutes long & there's a couple of duff tracks on it - I'm not sure it's been worth the long wait?

Edited by Punksnotdead

8 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

YYY's is one of my 2 biggest disappointments of the year (not as bad as Arctic Monkeys). I mean, it's alright, but if it's only 30 minutes long & there's a couple of duff tracks on it - I'm not sure it's been worth the long wait?

I was disappointed on first listen but it’s really grown on me and I keep finding myself going back to it.

19 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Ah man I love it. In my top 5 of the year for sure. 

Different strokes and all that!