Banned!

tarw

I’ve been hit with the ban hammer!  @Neilsaid on twitter that he has had to ban a few IPs because of trouble makers. One of the ones he banned must be the one my EE phone uses. I’m having to use a vpn to use the forums. Why does this happen when I have a deadly quiet shift at work?

Any chance of lifting the ban on the IPs that mobiles use?  It’s my weekend on and the thought of it without Efests is grim

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tarw said:

I’ve been hit with the ban hammer!  @Neilsaid on twitter that he has had to ban a few IPs because of trouble makers. One of the ones he banned must be the one my EE phone uses. I’m having to use a vpn to use the forums. Why does this happen when I have a deadly quiet shift at work?

Any chance of lifting the ban on the IPs that mobiles use?  It’s my weekend on and the thought of it without Efests is grim

not opening this place up again to the morons.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

I'm in the same boat mate, don't worry. @incidentmentioned earlier that some IP bans affect multiple users. I'm able to access the site on WiFi and VPN so clearly its something to do with the IP banning Neil has done today. 

7 hours ago, FatAmmy said:

Hmm maybe if these IP bans are affecting a wide swath of regular users they might not be a good idea?

As long as they're affecting the people they're meant to affect, which they are it's all good. 

I get why it’s being done but it’s making me a bit sad too as a long time member. Particularly around ticket day.

I keep flitting from banned to not banned depending on my location. 

It’s a shame to be banned given that I pay for gold membership.  

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, dj_tim said:

Just found myself banned despite not making a single post in over 3 weeks. Dictator Neil has lost the plot. 

I would imagine it was an IP you were connected to whilst not on WiFi. Had a few times when I’ve been at work it’s happened, your account isn't banned, just the IP.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dj_tim said:

Just found myself banned despite not making a single post in over 3 weeks. Dictator Neil has lost the plot. 

your account isn't banned, just the IP.

i've blocked the trolling morons, blame them for the effect onto you.

Found myself 'banmed' the past couple of days also. Tried this morning and worked no problems. I ain't clued up with IP addresses too much beyond basics, all I know is I use duckduckgo or brave browsers on the web. I doubt I'll mess about with IP n stuff. Will this be an issue some of us just have to deal with or is there a simple solution the ones affected can do? 

10 minutes ago, garc1a said:

Found myself 'banmed' the past couple of days also. Tried this morning and worked no problems. I ain't clued up with IP addresses too much beyond basics, all I know is I use duckduckgo or brave browsers on the web. I doubt I'll mess about with IP n stuff. Will this be an issue some of us just have to deal with or is there a simple solution the ones affected can do?

The short and arguably over simplified version -

Every internet connection has an "IP Address". This is used (just like a postal address) is how other computers on the Internet (such as the efests server) know how to send data back to your computer/phone/watch/whatever.

You rarely have any ability to control or change it, and in most scenarios you don't usually need to know anything about it.

However, in some cases especially if you're accessing the Internet via a mobile network, your IP Address can change frequently and be shared with other devices, so it may not be possible to block people using that without blocking everyone behind that shared range of addresses.

Think of it like a block of flats - the (efests) server can tell you're in that specific block of flats, and so identifies you by the front door of those flats - but it doesn't know exactly which flat you're in as instead the doorman (mobile network) sorts the mail and assigns it to the correct flat.

It's early, and my mind is focused on something else this morning so it's probably not the best analogy, but hopefully it makes broad sense.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

gold only gets ad-free it doesn't give special access rights.

I’m not asking for special access rights. I’m just asking for access. 

Does it honestly not bother you that someone who’s been on the forum for almost 20 years now struggles to access it due to the way you’ve done the bans for others? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, themuel said:

I’m not asking for special access rights. I’m just asking for access. 

Does it honestly not bother you that someone who’s been on the forum for almost 20 years now struggles to access it due to the way you’ve done the bans for others? 

it bothers me less than those morons bother me. if there was a better solution to blocking them (they're determined to spoil things for people like you), i'd do it.

Edited by Neil

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

it bothers me less than those morons bother me. if there was a better solution to blocking them (they're determined to spoil things for people like you), i'd do it.

Ok. The good news for them is that for 50% of my time (I split between mine and my partners place) they’ve succeeded. 

2 minutes ago, themuel said:

Ok. The good news for them is that for 50% of my time (I split between mine and my partners place) they’ve succeeded. 

most people can still access like you can.