Banned!

tarw

Just now, Alvoram said:

It would outright ban the specific devices, much more difficult to cloak,

yeah, i know tge system has device detection now, which often allows me to link a troll account back to that user's other user-name.

Just now, Neil said:

yeah, i know tge system has device detection now, which often allows me to link a troll account back to that user's other user-name.

That's got to be using the device's mac address... Banning devices is the best way... Banning the accounts too, but banning the devices makes it extremely difficult to set up new accounts on that device again (and requires much more technical knowhow than simply using a vpn.) 

They'll run out of devices eventually. 🙂 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

What's the point in going ad-free if you can't access the site in the first place? 

i get sucked-in by trolling because i try to respond to comments and that end's right now?

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

That's got to be using the device's mac address... Banning devices is the best way... Banning the accounts too, but banning the devices makes it extremely difficult to set up new accounts on that device again (and requires much more technical knowhow than simply using a vpn.) 

They'll run out of devices eventually. 🙂 

i've effectively blocked them now. how do you know that some of the people complaining about being blocked, aren't the trolls i was wanting to block?

18 minutes ago, Neil said:

only if you don't understand what you're buying.

Ridiculous response.

You are buying ad free forums. 

You don't get ad free forums if you are banned.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Ridiculous response.

You are buying ad free forums. 

You don't get ad free forums if you are banned.  

and they don't get the forums if i shut them down as not worth my while.

there's a reason why glasto don't have their own forums.

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

i've effectively blocked them now. how do you know that some of the people complaining about being blocked, aren't the trolls i was wanting to block?

Surely there's a way that you can go in to see that me and others have only ever posted from one account on a particular device? Everyone gets that you get massive grief from the same people making multiple troll accounts and spamming the forum, but stopping multiple genuine forum users from being able to use it seems like total overkill.

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

and they don't get the forums if i shut them down as not worth my while.

there's a reason why glasto don't have their own forums.

Is there a way of moving this forward so we end up with the dickheads banned and others able to access accounts ? So the blanket ban can become more targeted … 

44 minutes ago, Neil said:

i get sucked-in by trolling because i try to respond to comments and that end's right now?

Your idea of trolls this time was ' people that think GnR are playing Glastonbury ' you got so pent up that people started trolling you, but you were already angry so it's on you. The owner. Buck stops with you. 

24 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Surely there's a way that you can go in to see that me and others have only ever posted from one account on a particular device? Everyone gets that you get massive grief from the same people making multiple troll accounts and spamming the forum, but stopping multiple genuine forum users from being able to use it seems like total overkill.

Trust me on this. He doesn't care about damaging other long standing users. It happened last year and will keep happening until he either gives up or people get tired and move on.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

Your idea of trolls this time was ' people that think GnR are playing Glastonbury ' you got so pent up that people started trolling you, but you were already angry so it's on you. The owner. Buck stops with you. 

it wasn't just about gnr there was other trolling going on, i was on top of it all quickly so you might not have been aware of it.

26 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Surely there's a way that you can go in to see that me and others have only ever posted from one account on a particular device?

thats no possible. what it has recorded is only as good as the features at the time.

Just now, Neil said:

it wasn't just about gnr there was other trolling going on, i was on top of it all quickly so you might not have been aware of it.

The issue is not what it was about. The issue is that you're always going to get trolls. Especially when they know you react like this. You need to change, as they never will.

• Upvote 1

Just now, chazwwe said:

The issue is not what it was about. The issue is that you're always going to get trolls. Especially when they know you react like this. You need to change, as they never will.

you're best ignored.

43 minutes ago, Neil said:

I don't, I can't see the backend... But effectively banning 100s of innocents by using IP blocks is not ideal.

I feel your pain, I really do, there's a bunch of arseholes out there. But there are better solutions. 

You really do need a team of moderators who you can trust. You don't have to give them full access rights, just edit / delete rights for posts and topics, as well as ban rights. 

The other forum I'm on regularly has been running for over 20 years too, (CoasterForce) has a full team of staff, and absolutely never has any issues with trolls, because the staff are on top of it. 

I totally imagine the frustrations and challenges, but I would suggest not treating your genuine customers who have been using the site for 15+ years with no issues with less contempt or at least some manners. I will likely cancel my gold and find some way to adblock, which is a shame.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alvoram said:

I don't, I can't see the backend... But effectively banning 100s of innocents by using IP blocks is not ideal.

it's no ideal, just as having trolls isn't ideal

Just now, Alvoram said:

You really do need a team of moderators who you can trust.

that doesn't fix any problem,.

Just now, Alvoram said:

the staff are on top of it. 

i'm trying to bre on top of it, and you don't like me being on top of it.

Just now, Mr. B said:

I totally imagine the frustrations and challenges, but I would suggest not treating your genuine customers who have been using the site for 15+ years with no issues with less contempt or at least some manners. I will likely cancel my gold and find some way to adblock, which is a shame.

you're making assumptions with 'genuine customers', people are often not what they seem. if it was all genuine customers i wouldn't have these problems.

Just now, Neil said:

it's no ideal, just as having trolls isn't ideal

I'm trying to help Neil, genuinely 😕 

that doesn't fix any problem,.

It does, it means there are always enough people around to remove / edit posts before it even gets to the banning stage. Trolls then learn their efforts are futile and give in, no need for bans!

i'm trying to bre on top of it, and you don't like me being on top of it.

Again, I'm trying to help, it's a community, and a bloody good one too. Believe it or not, there are people who care about it and want the best. 🙂

Just now, Alvoram said:

t does, it means there are always enough people around to remove / edit posts before it even gets to the banning stage. Trolls then learn their efforts are futile and give in, no need for bans!

that's often what happens anyway cos i'm right on it.

I can only speak for myself but I’ve been a member of this forum for 13 years, been a gold supporter for a lot of that, and to find myself IP banned due to actions of others is incredibly disappointing. I doubt I’m the only one in this boat.

I don’t have a way to prove i’m not one of these “trolls” but it sounds like you have the data to see I don’t have any other accounts. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dj_tim said:

I can only speak for myself but I’ve been a member of this forum for 13 years, been a gold supporter for a lot of that, and to find myself IP banned due to actions of others is incredibly disappointing. I doubt I’m the only one in this boat.

i'm disappointed that i'm having to make these actions that affect others.that theres people doing this trying to make me unwell with them knowing i spent more than half of last year in hospital makes me question the human race.

i'm not going to let them make me unwell, i'll just shut the forums down entirely things can't go back to some sort of normality.