Banned!

tarw

1 minute ago, dj_tim said:

So what, I just can't access efests without a VPN now? Because some other people annoyed you? Surely you'd be better just banning specific accounts.

yeah, if they were honest enough rto use their main accounts instead of loads of new accounts, they're doing stuff to avoid being nailed, so it can be difficult to nail them.

3 minutes ago, dj_tim said:

So what, I just can't access efests without a VPN now? Because some other people annoyed you? Surely you'd be better just banning specific accounts.

are they still pretending to be your friends, btw, why not have a word with them.

14 minutes ago, Mr. B said:

Hi Neil - my account is saying Banned when I try and access via my phone, but not on my laptop... very curious. Can you advise? Thanks

it'll be because the ip addreess your phone is using has been blocked.

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

This is a very blunt instrument Neil. 

it is, and the point is for it to work. which it has 🙂 

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I’m a teacher and if one kid in the class acts like a twat I don’t give everyone who sits near them a detention. 

4 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

This is a very blunt instrument Neil. 
I’m a teacher and if one kid in the class acts like a twat I don’t give everyone who sits near them a detention. 

This happened last year. The same 2-3 people come here and troll. Neil gets angry over things, GNR rumours for example, then the trolls play to that. Neil loses it, assumes more people are trolling and are doing it to hurt him and his income so he goes on a banning spree.

If you’ve been banned then you’re just collateral damage basically. Even if you’re a paying customer, that’s just the way it is. If you complain, you’ll just get told to do one. 

Other forums have a moderation team in place so that people can’t just sign up and spam the shit out of the place but not efestivals. If they come back again, the forums will probably be turned off for a few hours. 

25 minutes ago, evannn said:

Perhaps I'm missing a trick here, as I'm not a tech expert, but if some of the innocent/accidentally banned people in this thread have found a workaround for the IP ban, couldn't the targeted users also do that?

Yup and they'll be back when Neil gets angry about the next thing and the cycle will continue.

19 minutes ago, stuie said:

If you’ve been banned then you’re just collateral damage basically. Even if you’re a paying customer, that’s just the way it is. If you complain, you’ll just get told to do one. 

Other forums have a moderation team in place so that people can’t just sign up and spam the shit out of the place but not efestivals. If they come back again, the forums will probably be turned off for a few hours. 

Neil has said no to mods. Because only he knows how to run this place and he doesn't trust people. 

30 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This happened last year. The same 2-3 people come here and troll. Neil gets angry over things, GNR rumours for example, then the trolls play to that. Neil loses it, assumes more people are trolling and are doing it to hurt him and his income so he goes on a banning spree.

the problem you've outlined is not me, but witghiut the trolls, none of it happens.

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Neil has said no to mods. Because only he knows how to run this place and he doesn't trust people. 

i've sucessfully run this place for 20 years while other forums have come and gone. i'm also the one carrying the financial risks

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Every single forum has trolls. They know how to piss you off, when you get upset, they know you'll do this because that's what they want.

but if they can't access here, cos they've been blocked, none of that happens.

Just now, Neil said:

not that i know of.

that would achieve little better  than i can achieve now.

It would outright ban the specific devices, much more difficult to cloak, it's far more effective than banning individual IP's or accounts...

And less disastrous than banning IP Blocks...

Look into it. 🙂