Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

GnR represent the biggest example of eFests “I don’t like them so they shouldn’t play” in many a year. Absolutely no different to the festival booking Macca, The Cure, The Who, The Stones, Neil Young or any other heritage act who haven’t had a hit in over 30 years.

GnR are one of the biggest rock bands in history. They’ve sold millions of records, headlined festivals and sold out stadia all over the world. They are a more than worthy headliner by any objective metric you care to mention.

If people don’t like them that’s fine, go watch something else, but to suggest they are not headliner material is utter bollocks.

• Upvote 28

28 minutes ago, Neil said:

There's thousands of people trying for tickets, vast majority won't know what sort of performance that Axl and the lads are putting in recently. They'll just hear Guns N Roses and immediately be down for it cos they're still a huge name.

15 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

There's thousands of people trying for tickets, vast majority won't know what sort of performance that Axl and the lads are putting in recently. They'll just hear Guns N Roses and immediately be down for it cos they're still a huge name.

a huge naame with slow ticket sales over several summers.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

how did the tickets sell?

I was there. Looked pretty full.

They're still a rock solid band with an amazing back catalogue of, how you say 'bangers'.

My continuing grievance with them is that they essentially play the same set every night. I'd love to hear a few deep cuts mixed in with 'the hits'.

That said, Axl was always an acquired taste and is not beasting it quite the way he used to, but is still easily up to the task at hand. Slash et al haven't really declined at all. All said, if you catch them on a good night, they are massively entertaining.

Just imagine them closing out the pyramid with Paradise City. It would be as good as you imagine it could be.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I was there. Looked pretty full.

it did have several years to try and shift the tickets, still didn't sell out, probably stank less than the football there does.

Edited by Neil

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

it did have several years to try and shift the tickets, still didn't sell out, probably stank less than the football there does.

Ha ha. Well, I am both a Spurs and GNR fan, so if you asked me who performed worse, I'd probably disintegrate into a puddle of confusion.

(still third in the premiership...just sayin')

10 minutes ago, Neil said:
26 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Expand  

Kendrick struggled to fully shift his arena dates 

52 minutes ago, Neil said:
1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Expand  

Nearly selling out multiple stadium dates isn't slow ticket sales though, really, especially with all the post-lockdown competition. Blur struggled to sell out a single Hyde Park date last time out. NGHFB outsold The Magic Whip, doesn't mean Noel is gonna headline over Blur.

GnR are objectively a heritage act with a hugely popular back catalogue and still a massive ticket shifter. They're prime Pyramid headliner material. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Nearly selling out multiple stadium dates isn't slow ticket sales though, really, especially with all the post-lockdown competition. Blur struggled to sell out a single Hyde Park date last time out. NGHFB outsold The Magic Whip, doesn't mean Noel is gonna headline over Blur.

GnR are objectively a heritage act with a hugely popular back catalogue and still a massive ticket shifter. They're prime Pyramid headliner material. 

Several years to not sell them out is slow sales. 

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

But selling them out at 85% is still shifting 100,000+ tickets. Regardless of your opinion of the band, that's a gargantuan amount of sales. 

There's plenty  of acts could sell that number quicker

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

Plenty of acts who couldn't but still headline Glastonbury. 

I probably wouldn't see them on the farm, and I don't think it's a forwards looking booking, but that's not to say they're not big enough to do it. I'm 33yo and everyone roughly my age would know 10+ GnR songs but would barely recognise anything beyond 1-2 Cure songs. 

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

I didn’t want to get involved here, but this reads to me like a huge amount of negative bias against GnR without any reason. If you think that are shit and unworthy of the slot, fine. If you think they have zero chance of headlining next year, also fine. But this just reads to me like spite and I don’t understand. Why is the speculation needling you so much?

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

Recent Past headliners who wouldn't

The Cure. The Killers. Florence. The Who. Billie Eilish. Metallica. Kasabian.  Arcade Fire. Radiohead....

GnR sells on every continent. They were the biggest band in the world at one point

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I didn’t want to get involved here, but this reads to me like a huge amount of negative bias against GnR without any reason. If you think that are shit and unworthy of the slot, fine. If you think they have zero chance of headlining next year, also fine. But this just reads to me like spite and I don’t understand. Why is the speculation needling you so much?

People always have their reason to not like an act, like GnR in this case. For me it’s the fact that they are just such a mediocre liveband. Very hit-and-miss and a slog to watch at times. Sure they have some classics but in between those I predict the field to be quickly bored out by yet another long solo…

• Downvote 1

Missing Slash to watch England v Germany was the worst decision I’ve ever made. In life, not just Glastonbury. Idiot. 

I’d love them to be there. Its unlikely though isn’t it? Isn’t Axle’s timekeeping still too questionable. 

Not the real GnR without Izzy anyway. 

Edited by Hotfry

As in so much in life, size isn't quite as important as what you do with it.

G&R are a fucking abomination. Big enough they may be, but I can't even contemplate them at Glastonbury.

On a day where Pulp shifted a fuckload of tickets, we're talking about the opposite of them here, this is music that hates the weirdo, the autodidact, the outsider, the mis-shapes. It's a big bag of 'what you reading for? - you looking at my bird - somebody should drive straight over those soap dodging oil protesters - I self-identify as a glass of water -these days you can't say anything' w*nk. 

Genuinely upset that so many people I like and respect on here are into this shite. It's like when you meet someone who's funny, interesting and self aware and then you find out they support Chelsea.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Genuinely upset that so many people I like and respect on here are into this shite. It's like when you meet someone who's funny, interesting and self aware and then you find out they support Chelsea.

To be fair the vast majority of the chat has been over whether they're a big enough act to do it (yes they are) as opposed to whether they should (probably not)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

this is music that hates the weirdo, the autodidact, the outsider, the mis-shapes. It's a big bag of 'what you reading for? - you looking at my bird

I'm down with this. GnR we're my fave band growing up by far.. loved them! But I was 10 and was just jamming to some epic hard hitting music. Not analysing lyrics.

Would love to see them to recapture my youth but ... As an adult I don't align with much if any of what they sing about.

Do I put that to one side and not overthink it or would it be like endorsing jimmy saville cos he made a good tv show?

5 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

To be fair the vast majority of the chat has been over whether they're a big enough act to do it (yes they are) as opposed to whether they should (probably not)

whats ridiculous is the idea they've been booked as a replacement for the female headliner, which is what the story is.

Just now, Neil said:

whats ridiculous is the idea they've been booked as a replacement for the female headliner, which is what the story is.

Yeah it wouldn't be the most progressive of bookings, but neither was The Cure, The Killers, Paul McCartney etc and at least GnR haven't played the fest before. 

Ultimately though if Taylor isn't about and there's no obtainable big female booking, the festival has to revert to type or give a huge bump up to someone like a Paramore.