Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

theres plenty: florence, pink, dua lipa.

Dua Lipa isn't touring and Future Nostalgia would be 3 years old next summer, shoo in for 2024 though you'd have thought. Pink is already booked up that weekend. They're both headliners for sure, but unavailable.

Florence is the one for me, 8 year gap and she was still doing BST in 2019. Just whether the festival sees her 2015 set as one and done, and not someone they feel the need to revisit. 

35 minutes ago, Neil said:

whats ridiculous is the idea they've been booked as a replacement for the female headliner, which is what the story is.

Emily hasn’t got a clue has she! 😂

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

As in so much in life, size isn't quite as important as what you do with it.

G&R are a fucking abomination. Big enough they may be, but I can't even contemplate them at Glastonbury.

On a day where Pulp shifted a fuckload of tickets, we're talking about the opposite of them here, this is music that hates the weirdo, the autodidact, the outsider, the mis-shapes. It's a big bag of 'what you reading for? - you looking at my bird - somebody should drive straight over those soap dodging oil protesters - I self-identify as a glass of water -these days you can't say anything' w*nk. 

Genuinely upset that so many people I like and respect on here are into this shite. It's like when you meet someone who's funny, interesting and self aware and then you find out they support Chelsea.

Many bands have got baggage if you look hard enough E.g. Radiohead and Nick Cave. 

1 minute ago, Colorblindjames said:

Many bands have got baggage if you look hard enough E.g. Radiohead and Nick Cave. 

sure, I don't think you to look quite as hard for G&R though, right, it's emblazoned (literally) on a t-shirt.

1216846160_Screenshot2022-11-05at09_52_07.thumb.png.e804d10237bcad831121042924be7a0f.png

and hard to deny Nick Cave and Radiohead are a lot more simpatico to the festival and it's ethos

They’ve both played in Israel (and continue to defend their reasons for doing so) despite it being described as an apartheid state by the UN and amnesty. 

As right on as this is, that's also true of Duff McKagan and the lads.

Cave is an avowed right-winger, mind.

4 minutes ago, Colorblindjames said:

They’ve both played in Israel (and continue to defend their reasons for doing so) despite it being described as an apartheid state by the UN and amnesty. 

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I despise the Israeli government but if you are not going to play there why is it ok to play in the UK and USA? They are responsible for horrific atrocities all around the world

4 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I despise the Israeli government but if you are not going to play there why is it ok to play in the UK and USA? They are responsible for horrific atrocities all around the world

The boycott is specifically about the occupation. Other countries do awful shit, but the PACBI boycott is a response to a unique situation. A vaguely similar parallel at this point of time would be Ukraine, and plenty of people are boycotting Russia - or Russian acts are being let go from bookings, as we saw with Nina Kraviz at G22.

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I know a lot about Nick Cave, I've not seen any evidence of this.

Why do you think this?

He discusses his politics in interviews fairly regularly - and it occasionally slips through in The Red Hand Files. The most recent interview I read he was bigging up Andrew Sullivan.

35 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

As right on as this is, that's also true of Duff McKagan and the lads.

Cave is an avowed right-winger, mind.

This is the point I’m making. If your argument is GnR shouldn’t be booked because of their misogyny then there are lots of reasons not to book other bands. 

Just now, Colorblindjames said:

This is the point I’m making. If your argument is GnR shouldn’t be booked because of their misogyny then there are lots of reasons not to book other bands. 

Yeah - no argument there.

The t-shirt is obviously indefensible, but I dunno if it's much worse than the 'I'm Black and Blue For The Rokling Stones' ads of the 70s.

Although knowing Mardy's feelings on the Stones I'm just proving his point 😃 

They shouldn't be booked because Axl sounds like a cat being strangled. All well and good for Barry Gibb to squawk his way through the cheesy slot at teatime with a load of backing singers, or the crowd to do Supremes karaoke, but by all accounts Axl doesn't appear to be up to the job of topping the Pymild.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The boycott is specifically about the occupation. Other countries do awful shit, but the PACBI boycott is a response to a unique situation. A vaguely similar parallel at this point of time would be Ukraine, and plenty of people are boycotting Russia - or Russian acts are being let go from bookings, as we saw with Nina Kraviz at G22.

He discusses his politics in interviews fairly regularly - and it occasionally slips through in The Red Hand Files. The most recent interview I read he was bigging up Andrew Sullivan.

I'm not convinced bands boycotting Israel helps the situation. The Israelis Being exposed to other cultures might help them see outside their world view and help them realise how horrible their state is. A commercial boycott (as in not buying Israeli products) to me does seem like it could be effective and I support that.

A far better comparison to the Ukraine invasion is the US and UK's invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Should ever musical act have boycotted those countries during the span of those wars/occupations? Is every act that did play those countries during that time right wing?

I read the red hand files regularly and I don't see a right wing viewpoint 'slipping' through. He is unapologetic about some lyrics that are not PC but I don't see what that has to do with being in favour of trickle down economics and pro war.

Is the Andrew Sullivan article in the telegraph, it's behind a paywall and I can't read it. Being friends with someone who is right wing does not make you right wing. Do you not have any friends who you agree with politically? I'm from the north of Ireland and it is common here for people to be friends with people with widely different political opinions, the place couldn't function (in as much as it does function) without such relationships

Also Andrew Sullivan is hardly the standard barer for avowed right wingers. He is a gay man with HIV who supports gay marriage. Is a marijuana smoker and on Israel.

From wikipedia: 

In March 2019, Sullivan wrote in New York magazine that while he strongly supported the right of a Jewish state to exist, he felt that United States Representative Ilhan Omar's comments about the influence of the pro-Israel lobby were largely correct. Sullivan said that "it is simply a fact that the Israel lobby uses money, passion, and persuasion to warp this country's foreign policy in favor of another country — out of all proportion to what Israel can do for the US."

3 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I'm not convinced bands boycotting Israel helps the situation. The Israelis Being exposed to other cultures might help them see outside their world view and help them realise how horrible their state is. A commercial boycott (as in not buying Israeli products) to me does seem like it could be effective and I support that.

A far better comparison to the Ukraine invasion is the US and UK's invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. Should ever musical act have boycotted those countries during the span of those wars/occupations? Is every act that did play those countries during that time right wing?

I read the red hand files regularly and I don't see a right wing viewpoint 'slipping' through. He is unapologetic about some lyrics that are not PC but I don't see what that has to do with being in favour of trickle down economics and pro war.

Is the Andrew Sullivan article in the telegraph, it's behind a paywall and I can't read it. Being friends with someone who is right wing does not make you right wing. Do you not have any friends who you agree with politically? I'm from the north of Ireland and it is common here for people to be friends with people with widely different political opinions, the place couldn't function (in as much as it does function) without such relationships

Also Andrew Sullivan is hardly the standard barer for avowed right wingers. He is a gay man with HIV who supports gay marriage. Is a marijuana smoker and on Israel.

From wikipedia: 

In March 2019, Sullivan wrote in New York magazine that while he strongly supported the right of a Jewish state to exist, he felt that United States Representative Ilhan Omar's comments about the influence of the pro-Israel lobby were largely correct. Sullivan said that "it is simply a fact that the Israel lobby uses money, passion, and persuasion to warp this country's foreign policy in favor of another country — out of all proportion to what Israel can do for the US."

Cave has cancelled concerts Russia not Israel. I can only then assume he supports Israel’s behaviour. 

20 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Antifa and the Far Right, for example, with their routine street fights, role-playing and dress-ups are participants in a weirdly erotic, violent and mutually self-sustaining marriage, propped up entirely by the blind, inflexible convictions of each other’s belief systems. It is good for nothing, except inflaming their own self-righteousness.
[…]
Some of us, for example, are of the generation that believed that free speech was a clear-cut and uncontested virtue, yet within a generation this concept is seen by many as a dog-whistle to the Far Right, and is rapidly being consigned to the Left’s ever-expanding ideological junk pile.

So is anyone who criticises Antifa in anyway right wing. Is that the standard you all are setting?