Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

39 minutes ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Love eFests wanting headliners to have released new music since their last appearance (Foos debate) or even put out any music at all in recent years (GnR)…

…and then slate the idea of AM playing any of their new stuff and clamouring for the songs they’ve already played twice in separate headline sets 😂

I know I've been doing this but unfortunately I have not been around long enough. I'm 21 and so many people i know would kill to see a circa 2010 AM set haha

With the new stuff its just what i've seen this summer and in 2018 unfortunately, whereas i know there will be something new I can see instead. with the choice of big acts every night at headliner time at glasto I don't really want to settle for an act i've just seen unless they are my absolute favourites!

8 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

It won’t be blue Monday* for me anyway. I’ve got that day and the next off work and am going to drink leftover Christmas Champagne and watch Glastonbury videos. 

*Unless I watch New Order

Excellent plan - enjoy and happy birthday!

Arctic Monkeys have released three albums since they last played, including AM.

A non-single like I Wanna Be Yours has 800million+ streams on Spotify. There are uni students who love them who were in primary school when they last headlined. Would be mad to think it's the same level as re-booking the Foo Fighters IMO.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Arctic Monkeys have released three albums since they last played, including AM.

A non-single like I Wanna Be Yours has 800million+ streams on Spotify. There are uni students who love them who were in primary school when they last headlined. Would be mad to think it's the same level as re-booking the Foo Fighters IMO.

Yeah - I was looking at how often act repeat as headliners yesterday and it's roughly one in every three.  While some do headline again quite soon I think that's generally because other stuff gets cancelled / slips through fingers - otherwise it's fairly exceptional for the repeat-headline to be quite as soon as Foos would be.  If it's not due to someone else pulling out then I'd expect them to be either british, female, or to have massively increased their profile (i.e. Foos seem incredibly unlikely to me). 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let's hypothetically say that the 2020 & 2021 festivals took place which meant it was 6 years + 4 festivals since the Foo's last headlined.

What would opinion be on them headlining again in 2023? Same as now? Slightly more acceptable?

Same opinion for me.

I don't see what the Foos can bring in 2023 that they didn't in 2017. Feels like a waste of a slot to me.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is the most debate - on any aspect - that's ever been held about the Foo Fighters.

FWIW I think we'll see a Dave Grohl acoustic set with him guesting as drummer with QOTSA rather than a Foo Fighters headline.

The other less likely thing I've leaned towards is a headline set from Foo Fighters & Friends.

Lars Ulrich will be on site as he's fallen in love with the place since Metallica headlined so I don't think it would be too much of a leap to see him come on with James Hetfield and do a Metallica song or two.

Likewise other artists coming on a la Macca's set last year to guest on a few Foo's songs / do their own.

I certainly don't think that as an idea is inconceivable.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let's hypothetically say that the 2020 & 2021 festivals took place which meant it was 6 years + 4 festivals since the Foo's last headlined.

What would opinion be on them headlining again in 2023? Same as now? Slightly more acceptable?

To me personally yes, as 6 other headliners would have had a crack in between. That’s just me though.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

The other less likely thing I've leaned towards is a headline set from Foo Fighters & Friends.

Said the same myself recently. Don't think it's actually likely to happen but I reckon after the Taylor tribute gigs it would go down a storm. 

Then comes to question of whether that's just riding off the back of the success of shows for a dead friend, or continuing to celebrate him without officially calling it another tribute show. Tricky. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

For me the only way I'd see them as being likely is if someone else who was planned to headline had to pull out.  It's probably now late enough, in terms of securing big acts, for that timeline to be already in play - e.g. if GnR have backed away then probably too late to secure a lot of people so Foos could come in to play.  I 'think' they'd be more likely to call round British acts first, but Foos do have a couple of new albums (any good? no idea...) and I've seen a few posts on here saying they've engaged well with the Eavii (the Chris Martin approach).

17 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Definitely more acceptable and not out of place with other repeats.

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Got to be The 1975 this year.

Secret set then 2024 ala killers maybe

calling this now actually - 13/01/2023

19 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Is this better 

Dead & Company would be interesting - don't remember Grateful Dead having any recent outings at Glastonbury

<edit>  looks like US dates only through the Summer - not so many dead heads over here, they certainly wouldn't be considered a big act over here but plenty of people would love the opportunity to see them I reckon (no idea what 'Dead & Company' would entail though)

Edited by p.pete