Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

If you can't find something to enjoy at any time over the five days

i could i definitely could find stuff , but the amount that interests me has shrunk as I've got older. and it ends up being an expensive ticket to see a small number of bands.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It isn't just three bands though. Each of those gigs will probably have two supports, so it's 9 acts for half your Glastonbury ticket. At least three of which are presumably must-sees for you. If you can find another three shows that's 18 acts vs 21.

Still better value, but not quite as convincing. And if you have mobility issues then you're likely getting a better view at most of those shows (with tiered seats in arenas/stadiums).

You're also getting full sets at their own gigs, lucky to get 40 minutes from most acts at Glastonbury. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

You're also getting full sets at their own gigs, lucky to get 40 minutes from most acts at Glastonbury. 

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

And if you have mobility issues then you're likely getting a better view at most of those shows (with tiered seats in arenas/stadiums).

not correct, the viewing ramps are not particularly accessible.

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The legend still remains a genuine mystery does it not?

It's usually one of the first to be announced and last few years we've had it by Christmas.

Makes me wonder if it's someone contracted elsewhere that they can't announce yet (Robbie).

I keep coming back to Kate Bush, as unlikely as it may seem. Booking her following her massive surge of popularity in 2022 would be a very smart move.

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

So then would you think.

Sam Smith/Queens/ Prodigy. That would put Fred Again (if he is playing) on Saturday. Would you say that looks realistic? 

Queens won't be up against Guns.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

the cat is on my keyboard.

it would explain the shit you keep talking, though I don't think that's fairon the cat to give the credit

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It isn't just three bands though. Each of those gigs will probably have two supports, so it's 9 acts for half your Glastonbury ticket. At least three of which are presumably must-sees for you. If you can find another three shows that's 18 acts vs 21.

Still better value, but not quite as convincing. And if you have mobility issues then you're likely getting a better view at most of those shows (with tiered seats in arenas/stadiums).

1 support act total for those particular gigs actually, but of course that's going to fluctuate all over the place. Could do a day festival for £90 and see 8 bands. Thing is, so is Glasto, the 21 was just someone sitting at the Pyramid all day Fri-Sun and then going to bed. Could be twice that if you've got the stomach. 

Obviously it's never gonna be possible to calculate that value precisely when you factor every other expense in, but I think when you really look at what gigs are going to cost moving forward, festivals are looking better and better value. AM / GNR / Elton alone will run you £320 without breaking a sweat, and yes, those acts aren't for everyone, but even one of them plus another ~20 acts? I just can't get the value argument, it doesn't shake out to me personally if you're a broad music fan. I think people see the big lump sum and it puts them off, but then they'll go to one gig this year and spend 60 on a ticket plus 30 on 4 pints and 25 on a tshirt, and before they know it that's 1/3 of a Glasto ticket in a night. Again, being wishy washy with prices, but the point stands. 

3 minutes ago, ghostlycola said:

I keep coming back to Kate Bush, as unlikely as it may seem. Booking her following her massive surge of popularity in 2022 would be a very smart move.

Going from retirement and hermitude to playing a prime time Sunday afternoon set in front of 100k people feels like quite a leap though.

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Accessibility at festivals can be shit.

it seems to work ok, problem is, most people seem to imagine themselves using acessibility features when normally mobile. its a very different ball game, when (for example) you can only walk with a stick, and need to keep hold of the stick for balance. just opening a portable toilet door  becomes difficult.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

you're like the Kanye West of efestivals. Negative, miserable and almost want everyone to notice you for every shit reason.

ok, mr bullshitter. arrived on your own wave of bullshit, and kept riding it since.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'm pleased enough with GnR, haven't seen them since they reunited and it could be fun, alternatively it could be a car crash which would also be worth watching.

Anyone crying about the headliners and threatening to send their tickets back because three out of the thousand acts playing are not to their taste need to give their heads a wobble.

That's how I feel about it. Objectively three big bookings, maybe not hugely diverse genre wise but the festival definitely doesn't always manage that. 

For me I'd give GnR and Elton a go if the mood takes me but if I don't end up seeing a Pyramid headliner I'm very happy to be having my options opened up for other stages. Be nice to do an Other, Park, West Holts triple maybe. I'm not sure I've done a Glastonbury yet where I've not seen a Pyramid headliner so happy to give that a go.

27 minutes ago, incident said:

I think it has to be considered that GnR of 20 years ago was not the same proposition as it is today. Others may disagree with this, but as far as I can tell at that point it was essentially Axl with some hired hands and a deserved reputation for turning up 90 minutes or more late for shows.

In the last few years, a couple of the original core members have rejoined, including Slash who was always the best thing about the band and has successfully played Glastonbury himself, and by all accounts the band actually turn up on time now.

Erm... 

https://www.mylondon.news/news/north-london-news/guns-n-roses-tottenham-stadium-24378487

19 minutes ago, kalifire said:

It’s not the edginess that’s important though, it’s the danger factor. Where do GnR stand on that, @Skip997

He cant possibly complain.

They play guitars, they smoke, they swear, they're heavily tattooed and they drink Jack Daniels straight from the bottle.

Combine that with the lyrics about hard drugs and groupies (and a little bit of racism and homophobia) and they're comfortably the edgiest, most dangerous band to ever headline the Pyramid.

Huey Lewis singing about his Scooby Snacks could never.

22 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Do 2016 you coward! 😁

I'll play! I'm waiting for a phone call anyways!

James > Blossoms > Christine > Vince Staples > Editors/Protoje > BMTH > Muse

Car seat headrest > Nothing but Thieves > Little Simz > Mo > John Grant > Tame Impala > James Blake

Khruangbin > Kamasi Washington > Michael Kiwanuka > Beck/PJ Harvey > LCD Soundsystem

I'd have been right chuffed with that. Maybe remove a few I probably wouldn't have actually known 7 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

To anyone complaining about one, two or three acts, wherever their placement on the card, I'd suggest pointing them towards previous years timetables. I've picked out three at random below. If you can't find something to enjoy at any time over the five days, then I'd suggest this festival ain't for you. It's a ridiculous amount of choice, and we're spoilt beyond belief every year.

2014 - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2014/

2017 - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2017/?stage

2019 - https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2019/

That 2014 lineup is a diamond. Little simz on Pussy Parlour stage at like 2pm ❤

1 minute ago, BenG92 said:

Car seat headrest > Nothing but Thieves > Little Simz > Mo > John Grant > Tame Impala > James Blake

Khruangbin > Kamasi Washington > Michael Kiwanuka > Beck/PJ Harvey > LCD Soundsystem

I'd have been right chuffed with that. Maybe remove a few I probably wouldn't have actually known 7 years ago. 

The 2016 Saturday run of Wolf Alice > Madness > Last Shadow Puppets > Art Garfunkel > Adele remains one of my favourite days at the festival.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's how I feel about it. Objectively three big bookings, maybe not hugely diverse genre wise but the festival definitely doesn't always manage that. 

For me I'd give GnR and Elton a go if the mood takes me but if I don't end up seeing a Pyramid headliner I'm very happy to be having my options opened up for other stages. Be nice to do an Other, Park, West Holts triple maybe. I'm not sure I've done a Glastonbury yet where I've not seen a Pyramid headliner so happy to give that a go.

I've been so many times now that I'm always happy to see a headliner I haven't seen before.

Would much rather take a chance on GnR potentially smashing it or being shite than stand through Coldplay/Muse/Arctic Monkeys yet again.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've been so many times now that I'm always happy to see a headliner I haven't seen before.

Would much rather take a chance on GnR potentially smashing it or being shite than stand through Coldplay/Muse/Arctic Monkeys yet again.

100% agree, they might to be to everyone's taste, but anything to avoid another announcement proclaiming how lucky they were to be able to book Coldplay again!

8 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Headliner time on the 3 nights, particularly Sunday was a barren wasteland for me, plenty on earlier in the day but most acts I really wanted to see ended up clashing. Easily the worst line-up of the years I've been. 

It's also easier to look back at festivals and spot acts you'd love to see but didn't know at the time. 

For me, likelihood of seeing the headliners:

AM’s - 50% - Seen them many times, wouldn’t mind seeing them again but more than likely will take the opportunity to see someone else. 

Guns n Roses - 90% - I like the set lists they have been playing, AXL’s voice ain’t that bad. I’ll take this for Saturday night unless up against Fred.

Elton - 100% - One for the ages. I ain’t missing this.