Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

9 minutes ago, kalifire said:

On what basis? Has there been any extra evidence other than the relatively flimsy basis they’re already rumoured? 

- Roughbloke heard two sets of headliners AM, GNR, Elton and AM, GNR, Taylor. AM and GNR look to be the consistent.
- GNR rumoured for PinkPop (Netherlands), Frienze Rocks (Italy) the week before Glastonbury.
- People on festileaks (European efests equivalent) are openly discussing GNR as being active on the European festival circuit.
- Media articles
- Bookies odds
- and the best source in the AM (who leaks absolutely everything AM related) is saying they are headlining the Friday.

If you are looking for absolute concrete evidence, no we don’t. We can’t source the contracts or get it straight from Glastonbury. But that’s not the standard we have to aim for. We’ve all been doing this for a while and know the signs to spot when discussing likely headliners. It just looks more and more like they are lining up a European festival tour and there is a UK festival date in that. They aren’t at Download, IOW, BST, or whatever. 

To me it looks like a done deal.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

No, nothing, Matt always does this. One rumour and they're a lock if he thinks it fits. Eminem and Rhianna have also been rumoured to the same level. 

This is very disingenuous if you want to say I’m being overly presumptive by being confident for AM and GNR? We’ve had way more than just one rumour.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If Dua is indeed at Coachella then she definitely has to be a strong contender.

Will she have new material by next June? Would be a shame if she’s stepping out on El Pointo supporting an album that’ll be three years old by then.

She's probably got a whole album ready to go. I didn't think she was available for glastonbury, but it'd be an easy fit for all parties involved if she is.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They almost certainly tried tried to book the original three for last year and given how early Billie was announced Taylor must have said no early on and they jumped on Billie as soon as it became apparent she was available.

Given Emily’s comments about Taylor she’ll have first refusal every year until she finally does it. Dua feels the natural reserve for next year if she’s about.

We’re obviously working months behind what conversations glastonbury / people in the biz are having. If we get accurate nuggets of info it’s fed through to us probably months after the issue is resolved.

Locking in massive acts require a crazy amount of pre-preparation. I think Billie signed for 2022 around late summer 2021, so it’s not crazy to say that Taylor would have let them know a year or so in advance that she wasn’t going to be around Summer 2022. And vice versa for 2023. It wouldn’t have stopped Glastonbury having conversations with Billie on the side.

What I’m saying is it wouldn’t surprise me if they held a slot for her for a substantial period of time. If they thought she was going to do the same thing for 2023, I’d expect they would still have ongoing talks with alternatives.

7 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

She's probably got a whole album ready to go. I didn't think she was available for glastonbury, but it'd be an easy fit for all parties involved if she is.

The Future Nostalgia tour wrapped up the other day. So it wouldn’t be a shock to see her take now till April off and have a few singles ready. I think Harry did the exact same thing this year.

Coachella just seems full of pretentious LA influencers and hipsters who are there for "like, the vibes" and the line up nowadays is just whatever is trending on TikTok.

Lollapalooza always looks like the better American festival and caters to a more wide range of music fans. Not many festivals in the world you get both Metallica and Dua Lipa headlining in the same year.

Also @kalifire just looked at festileaks forum to see what they’ve been talking about. Probably one for the next announcement thread.

GNR could be announced in December for the following festivals;

- PinkPop (Netherlands) 16-18 June
- Firenze Rocks (Italy) was same weekend as Pinkpop last year but dates TBC
- Grasspop (Belgium) 15-18 June.

Will GNR be the first confirmed headliner?

26 minutes ago, VCK said:

Coachella just seems full of pretentious LA influencers and hipsters who are there for "like, the vibes" and the line up nowadays is just whatever is trending on TikTok.

Lollapalooza always looks like the better American festival and caters to a more wide range of music fans. Not many festivals in the world you get both Metallica and Dua Lipa headlining in the same year.

It is very much now that is why. But we can't say Glastonbury is not going the same way. 

29 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Wasn't there someone on here saying it absolutely categorically would not be GnR headlining? 

There were a few, me included - just based on a gut feeling really though, but those festival dates look preeeetty ominous. 

personally that's a dreadful booking if so, but obviously not gonna go as far as say they don't deserve it as they are without doubt one of the biggest bands going. They're just proper shite (in my opinion).

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Think Am, GNR, Dua more likely.

AM and GNR feel close to a lock.

As much as Axl and the lads are a bit of a surprise, it does feel like a very Glastonbury trio. Massive rock band, big heritage act and one of the biggest pop stars around. Pretty similar to 2015, 2017 and 2019. 

9 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

As much as Axl and the lads are a bit of a surprise, it does feel like a very Glastonbury trio. Massive rock band, big heritage act and one of the biggest pop stars around. Pretty similar to 2015, 2017 and 2019. 

Two first time headliners, with one being a new headliner and one a heritage headliner. It does fit the mould.

Also achieves that glastonbury thing of getting three big headliners without necessarily breaking the bank. I can see all three acts agreeing to the glasto normal fee.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

- Roughbloke heard two sets of headliners AM, GNR, Elton and AM, GNR, Taylor. AM and GNR look to be the consistent.
- GNR rumoured for PinkPop (Netherlands), Frienze Rocks (Italy) the week before Glastonbury.
- People on festileaks (European efests equivalent) are openly discussing GNR as being active on the European festival circuit.
- Media articles
- Bookies odds
- and the best source in the AM (who leaks absolutely everything AM related) is saying they are headlining the Friday.

If you are looking for absolute concrete evidence, no we don’t. We can’t source the contracts or get it straight from Glastonbury. But that’s not the standard we have to aim for. We’ve all been doing this for a while and know the signs to spot when discussing likely headliners. It just looks more and more like they are lining up a European festival tour and there is a UK festival date in that. They aren’t at Download, IOW, BST, or whatever. 

To me it looks like a done deal.

Thanks, came here to ask this exact thing!

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Do you think the festival is purposely driving it that way or it’s just being dragged there by the attendees?

Not sure the festival is purposefully driving it that way, although they're definately driving it to be more safe/mainstream/family friendly (the latter is okay). The main drive though is the influence of the attendees, who are definately pushing it that way and I'm not sure what GFL can do to stop it, that's if they even want to stop it. This has been going on for a very long, since the mid/late 90's and has gained an almost unstopable momentum of its own.

There's still a part of the festival that rails against this, but these folks ain't getting any younger and will eventually "die" out, in some cases literally. Let's hope some of the youth can take up the mantle.

Could it be that GnR are the legend slot? I know Neil thinks it’s Roxy Music but they just seem too small/lacking in singalong hits to be right for that slot to me. GnR feel a much better fit for that slot to me given the singalong anthems they have

That way Elton, Dua and GnR could all be on the lineup (assuming AM already locked in).