Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

5 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Eminem should've headlined 20 years ago but there was still a bit of a weird stigma against hip-hop then I think. Him headlining now would feel like a bit of a step back from Kendrick last year but it would definitely be popular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63490691  Or maybe closer to 2010 based on this, though using that I'd say Arctic Monkeys peaked nearly 20 years ago too (and they have headlined twice).  Grasping for objective measures and definitely I don't think a headliner should be based on one song.

Is a new album justification for AM?  If so Eminem's had three albums in the last 5 years all of which have been at the top of the charts (again, looking for something objective, but absolutely doesn't stop someone being shit).  I've not listened to any of them, but if he were a headliner I'd definitely give them a listen.

Re a step backwards from Kendrick, that's just bollocks.  Is KL the peak of a genre and we can't have anything similar until a new peak comes along?  After Travis in 2000 why did Coldplay happen the festival after that?

All I can say is thank christ the people booking for the festival have a modicum of taste.

That is why the Spice Girls, Take That, Westlife, RHCP and Britney Spears amongst others, have never been anywhere close to the Pyramid.

And hopefully that means Eminem wouldn't be anywhere near either.

Edited by ericlered

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63490691  Or maybe closer to 2010 based on this, though using that I'd say Arctic Monkeys peaked nearly 20 years ago too (and they have headlined twice).  Grasping for objective measures and definitely I don't think a headliner should be based on one song.

Is a new album justification for AM?  If so Eminem's had three albums in the last 5 years all of which have been at the top of the charts (again, looking for something objective, but absolutely doesn't stop someone being shit).  I've not listened to any of them, but if he were a headliner I'd definitely give them a listen.

Re a step backwards from Kendrick, that's just bollocks.  Is KL the peak of a genre and we can't have anything similar until a new peak comes along?  After Travis in 2000 why did Coldplay happen the festival after that?

Lets be honest big factors fror Glasto are .... Are they touring at the moment? And will they do it for a lot less money than other festivals? 

14 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's a tough one for multiple reasons! 

I would say in the UK, at the time, yes, Spice Girls had an insane amount of success, popularity, and also made a huge cultural impact. But it was short lived. 

Globally and more long term, it's much harder to call. On the surface, beyonce has the higher number of hits globally, indicating more success. But Spice Girls had the kind of cultural impact around the world that some might say ultimately paved the way for Destiny's Child and thus Beyonce... 

Really is a tough one, but I'm going to stick to my original criteria, and say that Beyonce is bigger, due to her sheer number of No 1 hit albums and singles around the world, spanning multiple decades. 

That was a very good question. 

It's also tricky as cultural impact was very different in the 90s. Unless you were a posho with Sky it was 5 channels and no internet. Acts like The Spice Girls and Take That were very much inescapable. If you wanted music you hadn't bought, it was the radio and they'd be on there. They'd be on TV as well. And as mentioned, all over the newspapers.

The flip side of this is that live music was much smaller, and gigs and festivals far less popular. All live events were less popular to be fair. The Spice Girls would be far less well known and popular if they returned now, but would sell far more tickets than they ever did in the 90s. It's exactly what happened with Take That.

(I remember in the 90s, going to see Bill Bailey at Wolverhampton Civic. The guy had his own TV show on Channel 4 at that point. We were waiting around for our lift home when he and his single roadie came out carrying his stuff and we got our tickets signed. These days he has a 12 person crew and a huge tour bus and sells out arenas. Still can't get his own TV show.)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Eminem should've headlined 20 years ago but there was still a bit of a weird stigma against hip-hop then I think. Him headlining now would feel like a bit of a step back from Kendrick last year but it would definitely be popular.

There's a bit of a myth about no hiphop at Glastonbury, created by Noel Gallagher.

Lets have a look:

1994 Beastie Boys

2000 Cypress Hill

So no stigma 20+ years ago and I guess if I could be bothered digging deeper there would be more on smaller stages.

Obviously there's been more since:

2008 Jay Z

2010 Snoop

2013 Public Enemy

2015 Kayne West

2017 Stormzy

2019 Stormzy

2022 Kendrick

Wu Tang Clan, Jurassic 5, De La Soul and others in various years

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Lets be honest big factors fror Glasto are .... Are they touring at the moment? And will they do it for a lot less money than other festivals? 

He's not at the moment, but also he's not not touring next Summer - a lot of tours just getting announced at the moment.  Good question whether he'd do it for less money - I know bugger all about the guy.  Seems like Glastonbury can have an allure for some people, especially when they've done lots of other things already with their career.

Guns n Roses tour dates stop in December, so they are currently touring (and are not not touring next Summer).  Does that make them more or less likely?  Are they more or less likely to drop their fees?

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There's a bit of a myth about no hiphop at Glastonbury, created by Noel Gallagher.

Lets have a look:

1994 Beastie Boys

2000 Cypress Hill

So no stigma 20+ years ago and I guess if I could be bothered digging deeper there would be more on smaller stages.

Obviously there's been more since:

2008 Jay Z

2010 Snoop

2013 Public Enemy

2015 Kayne West

2017 Stormzy

2019 Stormzy

2022 Kendrick

Wu Tang Clan, Jurassic 5, De La Soul and others in various years

94 also has RATM and Tool which is insane by today's standards 

Id be surprised if they did another hip hop act so soon after having Kendrick and Stormzy. Stormzy from what I've seen was well received despite being a marmite act. Kanye and Kendrick didn't get as much buzz afterwards 

I think we are equally likely to have a hard rock headliner like GNR if they want to stay diverse and cater for everyone 

32 minutes ago, p.pete said:

AM peaked with AM, less than 10 years ago.

59 minutes ago, ericlered said:

All I can say is thank christ the people booking for the festival have a modicum of taste.

That is why the Spice Girls, Take That, Westlife, RHCP and Britney Spears amongst others, have never been anywhere close to the Pyramid.

And hopefully that means Eminem wouldn't be anywhere near either.

It is ridiculous to put Britney Spears and RHCP in the same bracket as Spice Girls and Take That.

Britney could absolutely have headlined and if her mental health was better could still do.

RHCP we’re actually booked to headline pyramid, so you’re hilariously wrong on that one. They’d also have been back if they hadn’t of pissed off Michael.

7 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

It is ridiculous to put Britney Spears and RHCP in the same bracket as Spice Girls and Take That.

Britney could absolutely have headlined and if her mental health was better could still do.

RHCP we’re actually booked to headline pyramid, so you’re hilariously wrong on that one. They’d also have been back if they hadn’t of pissed off Michael.

I know they the RHCP story. Thank god they pulled out, thus ruining their chances forever more.

Edited by ericlered

3 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

All the arguments back and forth about Eminem, and nobody ever seems to counter the "he's shit live" point. Is that just universally agreed upon?

I say it as a fan, but the three times I've seen him "live" (2004, 2010, 2013) have been underwhelming at best. But not every artist/genre translates to the live stage. I wouldn't be giving him a fourth chance, not at Glastonbury, where time is precious

32 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

What conclusion did we come to about Silk Sonic? Their setlist contains Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak solo stuff to help carry it.

I know the name isn’t a household name as much as Bruno Mars by himself but could be a great wildcard headliner 

Ive been banging this drum for a while. The Pyramid going off to Uptown Funk would be a thing. 

I do believe...that this...is a...

BANGER.

34 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

What conclusion did we come to about Silk Sonic? Their setlist contains Bruno Mars and Anderson Paak solo stuff to help carry it.

I know the name isn’t a household name as much as Bruno Mars by himself but could be a great wildcard headliner 

I need Silk Sonic next year, I'll be pissed if they don't tour.

I don't want Bruno or Anderson solo sets. Keep getting fed up of them announcing the Vegas shows