Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

57 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Certainly not. In terms of the size of the acts at the time the fests happened, the 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017 trios blow it out of the water. 2020 too if that hadn’t been cancelled. And that’s just in the last decade-and-a-bit, let alone going back further than that. Elton will be great but the other two bookings are about as remarkable as me mam’s favourite wart. 

Bollocks. I've said previously 2011 is as big and there is a case for 2016 but behave yourself over 2013 (AM played then and Mumford are nowhere as important as GnR) and 2017 (Ed Sheeran then is nowhere near as big as he is now and even now he's no GnR). 

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

Slash was fantastic last time he played in 2010 and my 10 year old daughter at that time is caught singing on camera 55 seconds in!

Imagine what it is going to be like with 60,000 watching and the full band. I cannot wait

Place is going to go bananas when that starts this year

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Every headliner is shit in someone's opinion surely. There's always been at least one I'm not remotely arsed about but happy for other people to enjoy.

Really no different this time.

It’s always the way. There is literally nobody that would make everyone happy.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've never understood why some actively want an act to fail.

Don't like them? Fine. But there's nothing to be gained by an act flopping and leaving 80,000 punters disappointed.

Probably just a sense of entitlement that they have to be at the best set at that given moment, and therefore the idea of someone doing a good set they weren't at annoys them

I mentioned it ages ago, but if it is these three, I think if every year you gave 100 festival attendees 100 seconds to name as many songs by the three headliners as possible, this year would have the most songs named. They're "big" by that very specific metric.

What's also interesting though is despite being huge acts, they're also all acts not known to put on an amazing live show. I think both Elton and GnR are better live than some give them credit for, but they're also not what they were in the 80s and 90s. That's actually what's missing this year: an act where people go "well, they're not my thing but you can bet it'll be a hell of a show"

41 minutes ago, pryce said:

so we have 3 male acts, but the only one with a female member is the one getting slated most for being male.... makes sense

Well, listen to the songs? They were part of the whole sleazy laddish 80s/90s culture. It's not really about representation per se - it's a combination of all men-fronted acts, and one of them being very much poster boys for what we'd now call "toxic masculinity" in the 90s. And it's less about if you think that's problematic or not, and more about how that perception clashes with the perception of the festival.

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

I mentioned it ages ago, but if it is these three, I think if every year you gave 100 festival attendees 100 seconds to name as many songs by the three headliners as possible, this year would have the most songs named. They're "big" by that very specific metric.

In 20 seconds, trying to cover all 3:

Welcome to the jungle
Sweet child o'mine
Rocket man
Saturday night's alright 
Candle in the wind
I bet you look good on the dance floor
Mardy bum

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Probably just a sense of entitlement that they have to be at the best set at that given moment, and therefore the idea of someone doing a good set they weren't at annoys them

If you've spent months telling everyone how bad an act is and how shit they'll be and they come out and smash it then you've been proven wrong... and people do not like being wrong on the internet.

There was egg on a few faces after the Killers in 2019.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Dubs said:

Not an Artics or GNR fan so if that is Fri/Sat Pyramid line, I’m up quite looking forward to mooching around and checking out what other stages have to offer for a change ☺️

I actively never want a headliner that I want to see, not a fan of the field at that time.

This year though I will be at Elton. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Same as people wanting it to piss it down if they are not going

That's me this year 😳

Horrendous mud pics all over the BBC = reduced ticket demand in October...? 

It's also been scorchio every time I've ever been, including at Worthy Pastures. 

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Don't like them? Fine. But there's nothing to be gained by an act flopping and leaving 80,000 punters disappointed.

Even worse going to see an act you hate so you can watch them to say you hated them the next day. I know someone who did that at Glastonbury and it still leaves me bemused to this day. 

29 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

So they can be "right".

I promise you somebody is going to be on here for months on end claiming GNR was dead even if it wasn't. 

33 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

…has written some of the greatest rock songs of all time? 

Just because you don’t like the music/person doesn’t negate what he’s achieved. 

Not negating anyone’s achievements, just saying that the argument we should excuse Axl’s voice being shot because we did the same for Macca and Elton doesn’t hold water when there’s such a gulf in both quality and quantity between their respective discographies. 

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Tons of people did this at Kanye. Proper noncey behaviour. 

Yep that was the act. You're just spoiling the vibe for those who do want to be there and it's not like there's only one option. I just don't get it but I'm more a live and let live person I suppose and I also want to enjoy my own festival. 

I also think if you go into something with that mentality it's highly unlikely that anything could ever change your mind. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Even worse going to see an act you hate so you can watch them to say you hated them the next day. I know someone who did that at Glastonbury and it still leaves me bemused to this day. 

Its absolute rank stupidity. I walked past the back of Liam Gallagher's other stage set in 2019 (2019? 2017? i dunno. whenever it was!) and i cant stand his solo stuff or oasis at all, its dreadful nonsense, but i was only walking past - that was enough of an experience from me.

I dont have to shit on other people's enjoyment in the field, i can come home and do that on here 🤣😎