Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

16 minutes ago, Super Johnny Fos said:

My biggest surprise on it was the idea that GnR would play - a headliner trio of Elton, Harry and Monkeys seems much more Glastonbury tbh. 

Absolutely no difference, both trios are frankly dull, uninspiring and unimaginative.

Styles would be a shocking choice, unless he's headlining the kids field.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

You're underestimating the amount of chatter that goes on behind the scenes in the music/media industry. Stuff like this will be talked about between people months before it's announced publicly, same as festival and gig bookers getting intel on who's around 12 months in advance. It's just none of those people spend time on boards like this or have any reason to blab online.

I know stuff gets spoken about. I just find it hard that a randomer at the BBC would know this early in advance. I also just can't see Styles there given his other gigs and the solid AM info we've had. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

I know stuff gets spoken about. I just find it hard that a randomer at the BBC would know this early in advance. I also just can't see Styles there given his other gigs and the solid AM info we've had. We'll see.

I didn't think the beeb would know stuff this early, but someone in the webcam department must've known about the Elton announcement.

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

You're underestimating the amount of chatter that goes on behind the scenes in the music/media industry. Stuff like this will be talked about between people months before it's announced publicly, same as festival and gig bookers getting intel on who's around 12 months in advance. It's just none of those people spend time on boards like this or have any reason to blab online.

Yeah exactly - I doubt that the BBC as an organisation have been formally told "these are the three headliners" as such, but they'll have people there in the industry "loop" more generally who'll have heard stuff - some of which will be legitimate and some of which will be bollocks.

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'd imagine because the contract includes filming for the BBC (or that contract is done at a similar time) that some people there would know.

It's been said a few times (by both BBC and GFL folk) that the festival contracts don't include anything related to filming, and the filming deals don't tend to get discussed until the run up to the festival.

There were some more details given in a story about trying to get Neil Young to agree to be filmed - I think it was in the anniversary book the festival put out a couple years ago.

14 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Surely people at the BBC don't get given headliner info, at least not this far in advance. Maybe a week before the poster drop max for the article write up.

We knew the Download headliners back in June before getting the official confirmation in November, sometimes this stuff is just floating around for ages. 

Not sure I buy this one myself, but Styles is free and would draw a sizeable crowd in the young popular artist slot. 

6 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

From someone who works for the festival?

It’s a bit convuluted tbh …I did  mention it a while back but Harry’s dates seemed to make it unlikely … although it was only Belgium from memory so not the greatest distance … I’ll try and dig into the source a bit more 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Super Johnny Fos said:

Sooooo, one of my best friends works in a senior position at BBC Radio and has always given me info on gigs, festivals etc months in advance. They genuinely know everyone and going to gigs with them is a nightmare because of the numbers of people saying hello! 

I have been probing for info on Glastonbury and they have had no idea, but last night they sent a text saying they had been out for lunch with someone on the inside who said the remaining headliners were Harry Styles and GnR. 

A caveat - they said that this person *may* be wrong, but never has been before. My contact was shocked as they thought there would no doubt be a female headliner in there somewhere. I of course thought Arctic Monkeys were a shoe in but maybe they aren't? Unless Harry Styles is supporting one of the headliners?

My biggest surprise on it was the idea that GnR would play - a headliner trio of Elton, Harry and Monkeys seems much more Glastonbury tbh. 

Anyway, just passing on information. 

Define 'senior position'

Dont disbelieve people at BBC would have info this early, is quite conceivable to be honest

Did you probe on where Artics where in all of this? They've seemed the most locked in for a while, and reliable posters in the AM Forums are saying it's a certainty. That's the only thing making me question this... Particulalry as Harry would have been on the Friday due to his Belgium date, which would mean Artics are then left with Saturday - meaning both Harry and AM are playing back to back dates...

Altough the freqency in which you post, I'm not sure I'll get an answer to this...

@GeezLouise that could well indeed be the situation!

Edited by leath02

47 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Absolutely no difference, both trios are frankly dull, uninspiring and unimaginative.

Styles would be an excellent headliner for Glastonbury. His last album was brilliant and he's a really good performer. Would be a great two hours.

Edited by MrFestivals
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Guns and roses for the legend slot, Roxy music for west holts headliner, Harry styles and AM the other headliners. 

im sticking with it! 

Aren't GnR way too big to do the legend slot? Can't see them agreeing to play an hour in the afternoon.

Edited by MrFestivals

52 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

lol you are funny. 

It absolutely gets chatted about, but equally people are careful because they'll have all sorts of NDAs and stuff involved. I know for a fact that someone in my immediate family, with 100% certainty,  knows exactly who will be playing (or at least a good portion of them). We're talking first name terms and we've received bouquets of flowers on family occasions from individuals mentioned on these threads.

They work on a logistical element of tours/music events etc, so would have already been putting travel plans for people. Equally, despite their closeness to me, they wouldn't tell me a sodding thing even if I begged them.

Edited by WhatADin

I've been corrected - 

Looking at tour dates, HS does do back to back dates - but never in different citites. Let alone countries

AM do back to back in different cities & countries!

Oct 10 Belgium 
Oct 11 Berlin

Nov 4 rio 
Nov 5 sao Paulo

Nov 12 Santiago
Nov 13 Buenos Aires

So there is precedent!

Edited by leath02

4 minutes ago, WhatADin said:

It absolutely gets chatted about, but equally people are careful because they'll have all sorts of NDAs and stuff involved. I know for a fact that someone in my immediate family, with 100% certainty,  knows exactly who will be playing (or at least a good portion of them). We're talking first name terms and we've received bouquets of flowers on family occasions from individuals mentioned on these threads.

They work on a logistical element of tours/music events etc, so would have already been putting travel plans for people. Equally, despite their closeness to me, they wouldn't tell me a sodding thing even if I begged them.

why do you not simply bug their phone and house?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leath02 said:

Looking at tour dates, both AM & HS do back to back dates - but never in different citites. Let alone countries

Not saying it's wrong info, but there's a few things playing against it

I know nothing about HS, so these assumptions are completely baseless:  He's young enough to be able to do Fri in Somerset and Saturday in Belgium;  He's intent on getting himself to be the biggest thing in the world and headlining will help him do that;  He's not essential to the setup of his own show, so whatever's happening in Belgium it's okay for him to just rock up.  Any of that sound reasonable? 😄 

AM's maybe take themselves a bit more seriously and aren't likely to want to split themselves between cities/countries on consecutive nights, knowing they'd likely not do it justice (more band member = more to go wrong, and older).

Just now, p.pete said:

I know nothing about HS, so these assumptions are completely baseless:  He's young enough to be able to do Fri in Somerset and Saturday in Belgium;  He's intent on getting himself to be the biggest thing in the world and headlining will help him do that;  He's not essential to the setup of his own show, so whatever's happening in Belgium it's okay for him to just rock up.  Any of that sound reasonable? 😄

It does sound reasonable - and for reasons I can't quite articulate I do think that going Glastonbury > Belgium is far more likely than the other way around would have been (when people were talking about him playing Sunday).

But where I'm struggling with this is that the info for the Arctics was definite about them being the Friday, and came from what apparently has been a previously impeccable source on their own forum.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

It does sound reasonable - and for reasons I can't quite articulate I do think that going Glastonbury > Belgium is far more likely than the other way around would have been (when people were talking about him playing Sunday).

But where I'm struggling with this is that the info for the Arctics was definite about them being the Friday, and came from what apparently has been a previously impeccable source on their own forum.

I don't believe this is true. They are defo playing but I don't think it was ever said to be the Friday,  it was just assumed cause of the sunday date in glasgow