2024 Headliners

7 minutes ago, kpins said:

Do bookies genuinely allow bets on Glastonbury headliners? Surely those in the know (admittedly a very small circle) can just put a load of money on. It's not like sport where no-one knows the outcome. 

They do but the book is very small, it's used as a publicity tool more than anything else. Somerset Live or some other on-line publication will run a story about headliner odds and link to the bookies.

They will only take small bets, probably the most they will allow is £20. If a few people put bets on, the odds will tumble and the chances are they will close the book for a while.

They probably get enough people daft enough to stick a tenner of Oasis to make it worth their while.

Or P!nk for that matter 😬

Edited by Gnomicide

2 minutes ago, ThomasPh said:

Yeah, when I saw the announcement, I thought they would announce something big, capable of filling a whole day on its own. The date is a few days after Glastonbury, so I thought there might be a big artist announcing a tour. But indeed, if it's a DJ, it's of no interest to Glasto

Fair dos. Looks an ace festival though. Made it to Rock en Seine once that was really good. Also had LCD Soundsystem on. 

1 hour ago, northernangel said:

That's a pretty weak arguement even on a Sunday night thaqt could be used against any statement for a sh*t band.

Well aren't you mister negative? 😏 

Seems like there's a resounding body of opinion on here that it was an incredible set. 

So...were you there?

4 hours ago, incident said:

There's so many of them, unfortunately. I'd go for Meat Loaf for a big bombastic act, but also that John Denver would have been a great lower-key option.

Bloody hell, a Meatloaf legend slot in the afternoon (assuming his voice was even vaguely near being ok) would’ve been unmissable 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Bloody hell, a Meatloaf legend slot in the afternoon (assuming his voice was even vaguely near being ok) would’ve been unmissable 

Yes, saw him a few times in the70sand 80s when his voice was at its peak. Tremendous shows. 

57 minutes ago, kpins said:

Not sure of the relevance to Glastonbury headliners, however it's a great line-up for this festival. 

Tbf, a stadium selling artist gigging in France a few days after Glastonbury could be very relevant to our mindless speculation, especially as we’re now dealing with an unknown headliner! If it were blur for example…

7 hours ago, incident said:

There's so many of them, unfortunately. I'd go for Meat Loaf for a big bombastic act, but also that John Denver would have been a great lower-key option.

Meat Loaf, a flying wheelchair, and the greatest story ever told...

https://www.loudersound.com/features/meat-loaf-a-flying-wheelchair-and-the-greatest-story-ever-told

9 hours ago, ThomasPh said:

No, there is no speculation, it's truly unexpected. In December, the festival stated that there would be no fifth day in 2024, so it's a last-minute opportunity.
The only thing that might provide a clue is their announcement which says: "Do you want to come party and dance with us on Wednesday, July 3rd? 👀 See you tomorrow at 12:00 pm 🕛'"

I don't know if it's a clue, but if it is, it might be a DJ.

Fred again then 

1 minute ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

That surely makes it less likely she could be one of the headliners for Glastonbury?

…why? She’s active in the UK the same weekend, there’s nothing about exclusivity there, and BST and Glastonbury often share headliners. Couldn’t be more perfect.

1 minute ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

That surely makes it less likely she could be one of the headliners for Glastonbury?

Plying in England on Glastonbury weekend. Was already known she was playing BST and the person who gave the info about Glastonbury has passed on decent info before.  Also not listed as exclusive

Why would it make her less likely?

3 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

It doesn't make a difference to our discussions on here - we knew this date was locked in about 6 weeks ago.

Just now, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Maybe my mistake but I’d thought she was being discussed for the Sat night with Dua Fri and Coldplay Sun?

Nope - Dua on Saturday is something we're reasonably confident of. So Coldplay and A N Other will be Fri + Sun (presumably Coldplay being flexible based on other peoples availability).

• Thanks 1

SZA wasn't even on my radar to headline for the gig, truth be told. At the same time, I can think of plenty of others who seem to be available (seem being the key word) who would likely cost a similar amount and would probably prove to pack the muscle more for such a gig.

But, if it is SZA, then I absolutely hope she proves naysayers wrong, such as myself, and knocks it out of the bloody park.

• Like 1