2024 Headliners

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But as noted - they can and will play anyway. 

This is the important point for me. You're still getting them! You're also getting massive artists playing lower slots all over the place.

It's the biggest and best festival in the world, a true one of a kind. The organisers get it spot on 95% of the time, they know what they are doing.

I'd far rather the bands i like headline on smaller stages, cos then i might even get close enough to actually see them instead of being on the side of a hill watching video screens! Keep Young Fathers on West Holts so more niche stuff gets seen by people who are bang into it, and the bigger stages can stay with stuff that has more general appeal. Everyone wins, its all good. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This is the important point for me. You're still getting them! You're also getting massive artists playing lower slots all over the place.

It's the biggest and best festival in the world, a true one of a kind. The organisers get it spot on 95% of the time, they know what they are doing.

Would love to know how often the people moaning about the boring old bland bands are the same people stood in the Pyramid field watching those boring old bland acts when they could instead be watching one of the acts they're championing on a less fashionable stage.

I mean, I've seen plenty Pyramid headliners over the years. I've also seen plenty Other, JazzWorld, JP, Acoustic, Avalon, etc headliners. And on at least one occasion, Toad Hall.

It's pretty simple - choose the act, not the stage.

16 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Is this a joke?

Yes I'm joking. There's nothing worse than a band you love dying on their arse because no-one cares. 

The Pyramid is always going to book massive artists to headline - that's just the way it is. It would be daft to push artists who aren't ready and aren't going to command a crowd there.

Out of interest knowing there is a kind of pool of Glastonbury headliner size acts. Which includes some that are probably not viable for example financial demands.

Do people think that pool of acts that fit in the "headliner sized acts" that are also viable is shrinking, maintaining a similar size or growing???

1 minute ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Out of interest knowing there is a kind of pool of Glastonbury headliner size acts. Which includes some that are probably not viable for example financial demands.

Do people think that pool of acts that fit in the "headliner sized acts" that are also viable is shrinking, maintaining a similar size or growing???

Obviously we're running out of Macca's and Elton's but I don't think the world has to worry about a superstar shortage just yet. 

5 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Legacy acts are running low but that is understandable.

Probs on par elsewhere as there is plenty i can think of off the top of head that will do it in the next few years

35 minutes ago, km9 said:

I think so. Sarcasm doesn't come across well in print 

20 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Yes I'm joking. There's nothing worse than a band you love dying on their arse because no-one cares. 

The Pyramid is always going to book massive artists to headline - that's just the way it is. It would be daft to push artists who aren't ready and aren't going to command a crowd there.

Phew. More emojis needed

17 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Shrinking a little. You have artists like Elton/ The Stones that are one and done. Fleetwood Mac/ Black Sabbath/ Bowie that are either breaking up or sadly passing on. 

It's part of the reason Reading and Leeds went to two headliners. It's easier to sell two slightly smaller headliners as "co-headlining". 

Then again - go back to 2019 (five years ago): Olivia Rodrigo was on High School Musical on Disney+, Sam Fender was playing academies, Fred Again.. hadn't released his debut album and was producing for Ed Sheeran, Doja Cat was a meme rapper, Lewis Capaldi, Dave, Lizzo and Billie Eilish had all not released their debut albums. Now they'd all be headlining or sub-headlining the festival.

46 minutes ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Growing imo

Legacy acts are bailing but the fest is more willing to book pop / rap now which massively expands the pool

2 hours ago, stuie said:

image.png.ef1bfa4341ef7686ee30720f944484f6.png

I'm not sure what you are saying.   I was saying (unless there is a massive fumble with the next album) Sam Fender is likely to be a future headliner because he makes popular music and it doesn't matter what Young Fathers do (or how good they are) they aren't because their music is more challenging and hasn't got that broad appeal.

It's no shade at Sam Fender BTW.  I think he is totally fine.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Fender's gonna need a song that's bigger and better than Seventeen Going Under to really hit the big time. If he can't top it on his next album his shelf life may look a little less promising.

He's already in the big time. If he releases anything decent after taking most of this year off then he's defo going to headline. He has already headlined trnsmt and r&l, it's as big as it gets for most artists.

Fender has already subbed to a massive and rapturous crowd and has since headlined Reading and played his own stadium dates. He’s already at headliner level and seems a lock for next year if you ask me.

The Young Fathers thing just shows that a band can be fantastic, put on a great show and still not be the right fit to headline Glastonbury. Being good is only half the equation, you need to big enough to top the biggest stage on the planet. You need to either be a star or about to become one.

And that’s fine, not every act has to be a future headliner. It’s perfectly acceptable to love and enjoy an act and to also know that they’re not going to headline Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1