2024 Headliners

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Know someone did it above but think we've got a current crop of ten female or female-fronted acts who are active as live artists that could headline:

Adele
Beyonce
Billie Eilish
Dua Lipa
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Olivia Rodrigo
Pink
Rihanna
Taylor Swift

There's also Florence and the Machine, who probably still makes it with the assistance of being a former headliner. You discount Fleetwood Mac, because they appear to be over, Kate Bush because she doesn't tour, and Lana Del Rey, because she just did the Other, which shows where Glastonbury see her.

Who else am I missing?

Would Miley Cyrus be put in this category? I remember her being briliiant a few years back before Kylie and made a comeback at the grammys a few nights ago

6 minutes ago, JNET012 said:

Would Miley Cyrus be put in this category? I remember her being briliiant a few years back before Kylie and made a comeback at the grammys a few nights ago

I think she's hugely over-hyped, especially off the success of Flowers as a single.  I was in the crowd for her Glasto set and thought it was poor TBF.  Barely had enough of her own material to fill a decent set and spent more time cavorting in front of the cameras like a teenager with Daddy issues than singing.

54 minutes ago, gfa said:

I think 50k ally pally is a push but she could definitely do 3 nights

Gunnersbury boygenius which she is by far the biggest name in was 20k and didn't sell out

The boygenius show sold out in less than a month of it going on sale. We tried to get a pal a ticket for her Birthday but couldn't. 

23 minutes ago, Barneym said:

That better oblivion gig at Shepherd Bush Empire was great (even if it is one of my least favourite London venues)

Yeah, I had a ticket but couldn't go, must have been work or couldn't get a babysitter or something but I love that album (probably more than the boygenius album tbh, although not the first ep). My wife got a tshirt and every time she wears it I feel a small pang of jealousy. 

44 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I think she's hugely over-hyped, especially off the success of Flowers as a single.  I was in the crowd for her Glasto set and thought it was poor TBF.  Barely had enough of her own material to fill a decent set and spent more time cavorting in front of the cameras like a teenager with Daddy issues than singing.

Was this really necessary? Should note she was on her sixth album by the time she performed too.

Anyway, she was excellent and everyone around us loved it too. She really seemed to get the gravity of the moment for her and still speaks really fondly of the gig and the festival itself to this day.

46 minutes ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

The boygenius show sold out in less than a month of it going on sale. We tried to get a pal a ticket for her Birthday but couldn't. 

my bad!

1 hour ago, goonerben said:

I don't disagree on the Glastonbury trajectory - but she is already way beyond Ally Pally level.  In 2022, she did 4 massively oversubscribed nights at Brixton - so that was already 2x Ally Pally or 1x O2 capacity-wise right there.  And that was before Boygenius, Eras Tour support, multiple Grammy wins, SZA collab, etc.  

My guess is that if she announced solo dates tomorrow (we can but wish), she wouldn't struggle to shift 50k tickets in London (so 5x Ally Pally, or 2-3x O2).

Always find this sort of logic really flawed. She played multiple nights at the same venue = she could play a much bigger venue with the same capacity. Are you assuming no one went to more than one Brixton gig? I think that's way beyond unlikely. I'd hazard a guess that a significant amount of people went to more than one show. Especially considering how passionate her fans are, and that some of the dates were added later. 

6 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Know someone did it above but think we've got a current crop of ten female or female-fronted acts who are active as live artists that could headline:

Adele
Beyonce
Billie Eilish
Dua Lipa
Lady Gaga
Madonna
Olivia Rodrigo
Pink
Rihanna
Taylor Swift

There's also Florence and the Machine, who probably still makes it with the assistance of being a former headliner. You discount Fleetwood Mac, because they appear to be over, Kate Bush because she doesn't tour, and Lana Del Rey, because she just did the Other, which shows where Glastonbury see her.

Who else am I missing?

A bit of a long shot, but The XX could be in with a chance for a (2025) Friday headline, if their next album does well. Already done Other headline and Pyramid sub, so with Jamie's new album supposedly in the can, and their own one being recorded at the moment, they might get a couple of big singles and get a push up. Probably more likely to do Other headline/Pyramid sub again though (or headlining other smaller festivals in 2025), but you never know.

1 hour ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Always find this sort of logic really flawed. She played multiple nights at the same venue = she could play a much bigger venue with the same capacity. Are you assuming no one went to more than one Brixton gig? I think that's way beyond unlikely. I'd hazard a guess that a significant amount of people went to more than one show. Especially considering how passionate her fans are, and that some of the dates were added later. 

If 25% of people went to a second date thats still 3 brixton nights

I would love to see The XX back at Glasto but I found that Other Stage headline slot didn't do it for me.  Maybe it was because it was the Sunday and I was tired and a long way back and my friends had all gone home.  Anyway, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to boost them to Pyramid headliner. Still think they would be APE type level. 

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I was in the crowd for her Glasto set and thought it was poor TBF.  

I have never once regretted my choice to swerve her for Billie that year.  Her set was a highlight for me that year.

46 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

A bit of a long shot, but The XX could be in with a chance for a (2025) Friday headline, if their next album does well. Already done Other headline and Pyramid sub, so with Jamie's new album supposedly in the can, and their own one being recorded at the moment, they might get a couple of big singles and get a push up. Probably more likely to do Other headline/Pyramid sub again though (or headlining other smaller festivals in 2025), but you never know.

They nailed their sub slot in 2017. Really surprised by how much I enjoyed it

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

If 25% of people went to a second date thats still 3 brixton nights

Do many people go to multiple dates on a tour then? 

Never heard of that before! 

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They nailed their sub slot in 2017. Really surprised by how much I enjoyed it

I'm really hopeful for another great album.  I've really enjoyed their progression and a new record has been a long time coming.  

That was a vintage afternoon/evening at the Pyramid for me in 2017, good run of feel good gigs and then finally a chance to see Radiohead top the bill.  Hard to argue with the ticket price for an evening like that.