2024 Headliners

2 minutes ago, fullfathom5 said:

Streaming isn't the be all and end all though!

Yeah, I agree with this. Streaming doesn't necessarily translate into paying fans/customers. There are by name unknown artists out there with a viral internet hit and thus lots of monthly listeners, but many people don't care who these artists are and wouldn't pay money to buy tickets to their concerts or buy their records/merch. So especially in order to determine how big of a draw an artist is for a festival, the number of their sales is probably more telling.

And then it must also be considered that we are in the UK here, so UK specific sales/popularity is important. Someone can be big in the US (and obviously the US has much more inhabitants, so that boosts their streaming numbers), but people in the UK may not care that much about them.

This is not about Lana, but generally speaking btw 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDiesel said:

True, but she did sell Hyde Park out last year in a day or somethng mad. None of the other headliners would do that apart from Liam

Lana's BST date was 50k tickets.

Liam is doing 4x O2 next June - 80k tickets.

Blink 182 did 2x O2 last month, and could have done more (they sold out instantly) - so that's 40k tickets.

Fred did 5x Ally Pally in September - 50k tickets

Gerry Cinnamon (at least down South), and Catfish are a level below that - but the 3 other "big" headliners are at least Lana level.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So depressing seeing Catfish back at the top end of festival line-ups. I thought they'd been vanquished for good.

I know. Must use more fire next time 

6 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

The sheer lack of anything guitar-y rising up the ranks these days means that acts like them who appeared right at the tail end of rock’s demise are laughing as everybody cheers their ‘comeback’ after barely being away. 

See also bands like Razorlight selling out big venues when they should be relegated to hosting karaoke nights down the local.

Razorlight have at least ten good songs. Catfish have zero and an even bigger cockwomble at the helm.

Fwiw that Leeds line up is the worst BIG festival top end there has been since records began. Oh hang on, I got accused of being negative, so I'll say they're trying really hard. 

Tbf, Liam and Lana would sit happily at any top end and Blink have got credit in the bank, but the other three? JESUS. At least they're not Tories. Apart from Fred.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Ten might be a push, Golden Touch is good then it’s a struggle.

I f**king hate America too, somebody put it on the request list at our wedding and I told the DJ he would get paid if I heard it.

Freudian slip at the end? Secret mega fan? 😄

I actually don't mind em. Borrell seems to have mellowed too. Saw em at Valley Fest few years ago and really enjoyed it...

...which was nice.

Given I expect she was the most expensive of those headliners, it is fascinating LDR will be effectively in that glorified "sub" slot.

But again, on the basis of being an Other headliner for Glastonbury, it fits exactly with where she should be. I don't feel her stock has dramatically risen, despite the rarity factor helping to obliterate BST with sales.

Fred Again, on the other hand... well, he was rising when he was booked to play high on Other, and this feels like the requisite leap to that position. Very much zeitgeist.

21 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Emily wants to expand the pool of headline acts and not back the festival into a corner of always having to have actual stars top the bill she should bump up Catfish and the Bottlemen. They've worked their way up and it's always good to see a British band make the leap to the very top.

While they're at it, they could rename the Pyramid the MOR Stage or the Radio 1 Stage.

Edited by majormajormajor
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Emily wants to expand the pool of headline acts and not back the festival into a corner of always having to have actual stars top the bill she should bump up Catfish and the Bottlemen. They've worked their way up and it's always good to see a British band make the leap to the very top.

They’ve been successful yeah but not Glasto Headliner worthy. They were once a promising band but then they shat the bed by making the same album 3 times on the trot then falling out with each other leading to two members leaving the band

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've seen a YouTube video of Van McCann and he's still got it. 

Some people are happy just to be in the presence of a "legend". I want a good performance.

I used to be with 'it'. But then they changed what 'it' was. Now what i'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what is 'it' seems weird and scary.

It will happen to you!

Edited by JonSnow
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

They’ve been successful yeah but not Glasto Headliner worthy. They were once a promising band but then they shat the bed by making the same album 3 times on the trot then falling out with each other leading to two members leaving the band

They do not have albums sounding the same at all, that's one thing in their favour. They are not a Glastonbury headliner no but they do sell tickets and I expect them to be no lower than 3rd main there. They could even top the Other stage aka Disclosure of recent Readings but I don't see it.

6 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Neither do I

So do I

We're both shite.

Covering yourself in loads of glory....plus waffle backing up your positive comments today haha

38 minutes ago, northernangel said:

They do not have albums sounding the same at all, that's one thing in their favour. They are not a Glastonbury headliner no but they do sell tickets and I expect them to be no lower than 3rd main there. They could even top the Other stage aka Disclosure of recent Readings but I don't see it.

Covering yourself in loads of glory....plus waffle backing up your positive comments today haha

How am I covering myself in glory? I've just said I was shite? You're a strange egg.