2024 Headliners

5 hours ago, Owen4567 said:

I’m listening to the podcast now (Sidetracked with Annie & Nick)

Emily has said they have held out longer than usual to book next years headliners. She said it will become clear why they’ve done that once the headliners are announced.

Also interestingly said: 

“Sometimes we do something before Christmas….What I’m really hoping for is to just announce the full line up at the beginning of the year”

This is making me wonder whether The Stones could be in the frame. They don't book any gigs until it's within a few months of the show for age/insurance reasons

1 hour ago, homesick said:

Was the mashing up of songs not an issue? I saw on Setlistfm there were a lot of 'contains elements of..' in various songs. I tend to find that jarring in general but maybe it wasn't that bad?

She also seemed to not play a lot of her bigger/more famous songs, but then I'm only a casual fan at best so maybe that's more a reflection on me

Not really, we got enough full versions to keep the party the going. Not sure Madge has a Swifty-sized three hour set in her so some compromise was inevitable. It really was a terrific show and I went on the night when she had some technical issues.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Anybody listened to the podcast in full? Somebody on Reddit saying she can’t be talking about Madonna in that quote as they’d just previously talked about her but I cba checking to see that they’re chatting bollocks. 

No but this is the bbc article 

IMG_7301.png

IMG_7302.png

IMG_7303.png

Emily's interview has had the desired effect. Made the news and got people excited for and talking about glasto in the run up to the sale. 

I'm none the wiser of who the headliners are.

Kinda feels like it might be Madonna.

But agree that it could be someone leftfield who we aren't even talking about. 

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

This is making me wonder whether The Stones could be in the frame. They don't book any gigs until it's within a few months of the show for age/insurance reasons

Don't think it'd be The Stones just because they're not a US act.

But certainly it heavily implies someone who's not yet on the radar in terms of being active next summer.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Anybody listened to the podcast in full? Somebody on Reddit saying she can’t be talking about Madonna in that quote as they’d just previously talked about her but I cba checking to see that they’re chatting bollocks. 

"Talking to people about headline slots for next year for about 2 years and still very much up in the air".

She gave nothing away in the interview apart from the Legend being female. 

Just now, incident said:

Don't think it'd be The Stones just because they're not a US act.

But certainly it heavily implies someone who's not yet on the radar in terms of being active next summer.

I'm not convinced it's The Stones, either, but I think it's worth keeping them in mind. I don't even necessarily think that the US "OMG" act and the fact they've held out so long have the be related to the same artist.

Maybe the wait is because they're taking a gamble on getting a HUGE set of headliners. From what I can gather, it may well be two male headliners, one female headliner and one female legend. At least one of those four is a huge/difficult to book American act.

As people have mentioned, maybe the legend is Stevie Nicks, who would fit the bill of American, female legend and an OMG act as Glasto have been after FM for so long.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, K2SO said:

I'm not convinced it's The Stones, either, but I think it's worth keeping them in mind. I don't even necessarily think that the US "OMG" act and the fact they've held out so long have the be related to the same artist.

She said (from the BBC article):

"I thought it was kind of taking shape, and then last week I just got a call, and this is what happens if you wait a little longer, because quite often we'll be booked up from July. But this year we're holding out for a little bit longer.

"And then last week I got a call from [a representative of] a really big American artist saying, 'This person's around next year', and I was like, 'Oh my God, this is incredible. Thank God we held the slot.'"

The way I read that, the big US act / latecomer are the same. And the comment about the lateness becoming clear when they make the announcement (or whatever wording she used) suggests to be that it's someone who isn't currently known to have touring plans as someone like Madonna wouldn't really fit that comment from a public perception point of view.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

"I thought it was kind of taking shape, and then last week I just got a call, and this is what happens if you wait a little longer, because quite often we'll be booked up from July. But this year we're holding out for a little bit longer.

"And then last week I got a call from [a representative of] a really big American artist saying, 'This person's around next year', and I was like, 'Oh my God, this is incredible. Thank God we held the slot.'"

The way I read that, the big US act / latecomer are the same. And the comment about the lateness becoming clear when they make the announcement (or whatever wording she used) suggests to be that it's someone who isn't currently known to have touring plans as someone like Madonna wouldn't really fit that comment from a public perception point of view.

Fair points. I've also just read that The Stones are supposedly "locked in" for a 20 date US tour in late spring/early summer so would probably rule them out of the UK/Europe next summer, going by recent schedules from them

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Over on the other place we had whispers last week of Madge stadium dates next summer. Could be a case of these finally being locked in last week and now she knows she’s free for GF.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Over on the other place we had whispers last week of Madge stadium dates next summer. Could be a case of these finally being locked in last week and now she knows she’s free for GF.

From an internal perspective that'd make sense. But the reason I don't think it'll mean her is that Emily is usually pretty good at directing her comments, and with this being for public consumption - the public know that Madonna is on a GH tour and I think there's almost an expectation that it continues past the current dates.

"It is difficult with female artists because there aren't enough headliners, but we're also creating them by putting bands [and] female artists on smaller stages and bringing them through all the time.

"So I feel like the pool is going to be bigger soon. And who knows? Next year, we might get two [female headliners], and certainly I can say that the legend is female."

Does "Next year, we might get two [female headliners]", suggest that maybe we have it wrong and theres only 1 female headliner this year?

Edit: Realising we are currently in 2023 and not 2024 yet....

Edited by rhyscork
wrong

1 minute ago, rhyscork said:

"It is difficult with female artists because there aren't enough headliners, but we're also creating them by putting bands [and] female artists on smaller stages and bringing them through all the time.

"So I feel like the pool is going to be bigger soon. And who knows? Next year, we might get two [female headliners], and certainly I can say that the legend is female."

Does "Next year, we might get two [female headliners]", suggest that maybe we have it wrong and theres only 1 female headliner this year?

She clarifies at an earlier point in the podcast that when she says "next year", she means 2024.

Different part of the conversation but I'm sure she means 2024.

1 minute ago, rhyscork said:

Next year meaning 2024 - I think it probably just means that as things currently stand there's 2 lined up, but as they're not 100% locked in things may change.

Just now, incident said:

Next year meaning 2024 - I think it probably just means that as things currently stand there's 2 lined up, but as they're not 100% locked in things may change.

Which makes me think your theory is right and the big US act is not one of the female ones being talked about.

Fully on board the Bruce train 'ere.