2024 Festival

Chad888

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Billie Eilish 100x bigger my arse. Look at the tour O-Rod is doing. With all of those extra dates, there can’t be much between her’s and Billie’s most recent tour. She’s the buzz name at the moment and she’s at the start of this album cycle. She’s only going to get bigger and bigger.  To say she’s not exciting is ridiculous. She is unbelievable popular with the prime R&L demo. She would be as slam dunk a headline booking as you can get. 

If it’s a choice between Olivia Rodrigo or a Cardi B or a Megan Thee Stallion type artist as a mainstream pop headliner, I know who I’m wanting. 

And why do some people have such a bee in their bonnet that she’s an ex-Disney kid? It’s not an issue whatsoever. It’s weird to keep repeating it. 

Also, she’s taking the f**king Breeders out as main support on her US tour. The girl is cool af. 

I dunno, her music to me just sounds like a boardroom executive in a suit's idea of what rock music is. It just feels a little superficial, is all.

But I agree she would only headline and would go down a storm with the crowd.

18 hours ago, Will b said:

I’d argue that billie was the one holding up last years lineup - definitly the biggest act booked on there

You know what, I absolutely agree.

We had:

Bland Fender,

BBC Radio 2 presents 'The Killers', 

The star of the Sunday Times free 'chilled drive' CD, Imagine Dragons

"Oh I forgot Foals existed"

3 times in 4 years, 1975

12 hours ago, VCK said:

I dunno, her music to me just sounds like a boardroom executive in a suit's idea of what rock music is. It just feels a little superficial, is all.

Disney pop princess. 

We should probably wait to see what the crowds on her tour look like, because I really think we will be looking at a load of pre-pubescant girls and their bored dads.

Her big songs so far -

I got my driving license and drove to my ex's house. (Driving license)

My ex is a fun sucking vampire that I thought was cool. (Vampire)

I'm going to call my ex, I know its a bad idea. (Bad idea right)

I miss my ex boyfriend that I met last summer. (Get him back)

My ex is doing what we used to do with his new girlfriend (deja vu)

Or is she going to play music from her other albums...oh right, they're 'High School Musical: The Soundtrack'

Let's just get Zac Effron and Vanessa Hudgens to headline while we're at it.

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

Disney pop princess. 

We should probably wait to see what the crowds on her tour look like, because I really think we will be looking at a load of pre-pubescant girls and their bored dads.

Her big songs so far -

Or is she going to play music from her other albums...oh right, they're 'High School Musical: The Soundtrack'

Yup. They deffo should get Royal Blood in to headline instead that would be properly more exciting

QOTSA too, playing songs that people gave a slight sh*t about in 2006 👍🏼

Real rock for real men 🤘Grrrrr

Edited by Benj
  • Upvote 1

Disney pop princess. 

Her big songs so far -

This is one of the most stupid arguments i've ever seen put forward on here (and thats saying something)

I'm baffled at what the point is meant to be about / show. Plenty of songs have not much of a story and are popular anyway.

Let's take a look at forum sweethearts, Blink-182

All the small things - i love my girlfriend because she does nice stuff for me

i miss you - guy trying to tell a girl he loves her

whats my age again - you shouldn't care what people think about you

Every song looks meaningless when you break it down to about 10 words, R&L book countless acts every year with songs that don't mean sh*t.

And you could say that point about the crowd about Billie which ended up not being the case at all lol

Struggling to see how this is a problem when a large chunk of r&l attendees are gcse leavers age girls who would love to stand in a field and scream about their ex. 

Most of Taylor swifts songs are about her ex’s but shed be considered an incredible booking - same with Olivia but she also has the “edge” that makes her more “r&l worthy” to the older audience too 

Edited by Will b

5 hours ago, Will b said:

Struggling to see how this is a problem when a large chunk of r&l attendees are gcse leavers age girls who would love to stand in a field and scream about their ex. 

Most of Taylor swifts songs are about her ex’s but shed be considered an incredible booking - same with Olivia but she also has the “edge” that makes her more “r&l worthy” to the older audience too 

Someone like Olivia Rodrigo would have been a clear cut V Festival act back in the day and R&L wouldn't have touched her. But the market has changed and with V now gone, as I've said, R&L have been trying to fill that void.

I also don't think her music has much of an "edge", it's just pretty typical mainstream pop with guitars. About as edgy as Busted or McFly, basically.

Edited by VCK

12 minutes ago, VCK said:

I also don't think her music has much of an "edge", it's just pretty typical mainstream pop with guitars. About as edgy as Busted or McFly, basically.

When I said edge I meant the angst side of things rather than just pure pop like Taylor Swift. Edge probably isn’t the right word though ur right 

51 minutes ago, VCK said:

Someone like Olivia Rodrigo would have been a clear cut V Festival act back in the day and R&L wouldn't have touched her. But the market has changed and with V now gone, as I've said, R&L have been trying to fill that void.

It’s not 2011 anymore

“Alternative” music no longer exists

Being a ‘Disney Princess’ is probably more alternative these days than some Virgin twiddling some nobs in his bedroom until he manages a hit on tiktok, or some god awful rockband posing like it’s 1994, thinking they’re slightly edgy

Just look an Inhaler 🥱

Edited by Benj

1 hour ago, Benj said:

It’s not 2011 anymore

“Alternative” music no longer exists

Being a ‘Disney Princess’ is probably more alternative these days than some Virgin twiddling some nobs in his bedroom until he manages a hit on tiktok, or some god awful rockband posing like it’s 1994, thinking they’re slightly edgy

Just look an Inhaler 🥱

Can we add Wet Leg to that also, I truly hope they do retire as rumoured. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

6 hours ago, jcarb said:

Can we add Wet Leg to that also, I truly hope they do retire as rumoured. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

They were slightly interesting for a bit at least.  Their Reading show looked awful though, like they knew the novelty had long worn off already and they were more than ready to go back to their old lives.

No chance they survive a second LP with the same schtick and I say this as someone who enjoyed it

21 hours ago, Benj said:

Yup. They deffo should get Royal Blood in to headline instead that would be properly more exciting

QOTSA too, playing songs that people gave a slight sh*t about in 2006 👍🏼

Real rock for real men 🤘Grrrrr

Wooah don’t go slagging off qotsa like that 😂

New album and lots of airplay on radio X recently, outside chance of a MSW appearance I reckon, they owe us from 2021 … possibly just to a crowd of 500 though 🤘

On 9/15/2023 at 8:32 PM, Andre91 said:

Billie Eilish 100x bigger my arse. Look at the tour O-Rod is doing. With all of those extra dates, there can’t be much between her’s and Billie’s most recent tour. She’s the buzz name at the moment and she’s at the start of this album cycle. She’s only going to get bigger and bigger.  To say she’s not exciting is ridiculous. She is unbelievable popular with the prime R&L demo. She would be as slam dunk a headline booking as you can get. 

If it’s a choice between Olivia Rodrigo or a Cardi B or a Megan Thee Stallion type artist as a mainstream pop headliner, I know who I’m wanting. 

And why do some people have such a bee in their bonnet that she’s an ex-Disney kid? It’s not an issue whatsoever. It’s weird to keep repeating it. 

Also, she’s taking the f**king Breeders out as main support on her US tour. The girl is cool af. 

The Breeders might have the biggest name on her tour poster, but they’re only actually supporting her on two dates of the tour. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

We can definitely add Blink to the equation with the new album. It sounds like it’s going to be massive so no doubt they’ll want to get it in front of as many people as they can. 

not sure another full world tour is what they’ll want to do as opposed to a full festival run. 
They’re playing when we were young literally days after their album drop so that will lay the ground no doubt. 

1 hour ago, jcarb said:

We can definitely add Blink to the equation with the new album. It sounds like it’s going to be massive so no doubt they’ll want to get it in front of as many people as they can. 

not sure another full world tour is what they’ll want to do as opposed to a full festival run. 
They’re playing when we were young literally days after their album drop so that will lay the ground no doubt. 

Given how awful “Edging” was I can’t see there being much appetites for a new Blink LP.

To counter that though Neighborhoods wasn’t bad and Dogs Eating Dogs was actually pretty great, so it may not be awful!

I don’t think many will be buying Blink tickets to hear new songs though

5 hours ago, Benj said:

Given how awful “Edging” was I can’t see there being much appetites for a new Blink LP.

To counter that though Neighborhoods wasn’t bad and Dogs Eating Dogs was actually pretty great, so it may not be awful!

I don’t think many will be buying Blink tickets to hear new songs though

The couple of snippets they played in their announcement trailer all sounded much better than Edging, and even if the entire album sucks, there will definitely be an appetite for them at the festival. Reckon their day will be a big seller regardless of who else is playing.

• Upvote 2