Areas you would cut to save money

Hugh Jass II

50 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Is that true though? Sky is the largest broadcaster in Europe apparently (and incorporates Now TV) and as part of Comcast is the 2nd biggest worldwide, Netflix and Disney also have enormous reach, arguably more than the BBC.

They're all paywalled though but as viewing habits change that might become less of an issue.  

Being paywalled is the the biggest issue for most of the commercial alternatives. Introduce pay to view and the audience is immediately cut. This has knock on effects for the festival in its' publicity, band publicity and attracting future festival goers. 

7 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Probably.

So, does anyone here really rate it?

Rate it as what?  The festival has Joe Rush installations all over the place - it just happens to be one of the bigger ones.  If it's removed, nothing will take its place.  It'd be like ditching the ribbon tower or something.

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

Being paywalled is the the biggest issue for most of the commercial alternatives. Introduce pay to view and the audience is immediately cut. This has knock on effects for the festival in its' publicity, band publicity and attracting future festival goers. 

That's true but not necessarily an inevitability, look at F1 with Netflix and how drive to survive has made a huge new fan base for the sport. Then again Sky has really ruined cricket. 

I'm not sure if more broadcast is something I'd necessarily want from the event though.

5 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

look at F1 with Netflix and how drive to survive has made a huge new fan base for the sport.

Then they ruined the sport to make it entertaining for the fans. 

Premier league also widened the gap between the top and lesser teams due to the money involved. 

If a big broadcaster were paying a fortune for the rights to show Glastonbury then down the line they would be demanding changes to the festival to suit the audience and you’ll be guaranteed more corporate advertising on site as companies want their brands getting the TV time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Probably.

So, does anyone here really rate it?

Spent 15 minutes walking about it, checking it out and enjoying the views from the end of the pier. But probably wouldn’t go back next year( if we got tickets). As @CaledonianGonzo said, most of its costs have already been incurred so it’s just the built every year that needs to be met.  

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I set the high score on one of the Pier Space Invader machines in 2019. Next to the birth of my children it was my proudest moment.

Oooo….now if you tell me they have an original Asteroids machine I’ll probably not leave the pier for the entire weekend! 

Way back when, I could play the game to an almost unbeatable perfection. 

14 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Oooo….now if you tell me they have an original Asteroids machine I’ll probably not leave the pier for the entire weekend! 

Way back when, I could play the game to an almost unbeatable perfection. 

I was actually impressed with the things they had on the pier. Since it's been there I have always paid it a visit a couple of times. For those who are finding it too much just going on there and playing a vintage pinball machine is probably a nice distraction. I wouldn't be devastated if it were gone wither but I suspect it's no longer a big cost. 

I also imagine the merch from there is a big seller which probably means it pays for itself. 

• Upvote 3

I liked the pier. Spent an hour or so there and would return on a Wednesday/Thursday for a mooch. I guess there is a high churn of new attendees who will give it a look and keep it busy. Its pretty cool. And as previous, I bet it shifts a fair amount of merch as its a  a bit different with its holiday vibe. 

Does anyone actually think in 2023 at least, significant stuff will be cut? Feel like this thread is just people hating on areas they don't like - i doubt anything is actually going in 2023, they will weather through this year at the very least

To turn this question on it’s head a bit, I’d cut the limitless alcohol on entry. Festivals make most of their money from you when you’re on site.

Would also help with queues and the amount of overloaded broken trolleys clogging up the entry queues. Would go down like a lead balloon though. 

37 minutes ago, gfa said:

Does anyone actually think in 2023 at least, significant stuff will be cut? Feel like this thread is just people hating on areas they don't like - i doubt anything is actually going in 2023, they will weather through this year at the very least

I doubt anything wants or thinks there will major cutbacks. This is all hypothetical.

The thread was spun out of a discussion that was taking over the ticket thread about whether the festival would need to cut back on things to keep the ticket price low.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned earlier but what would be the impact of paying performers less to save costs? 

Who would perform for exposure alone....and how would headline acts change if Michael said he wouldn't pay them anything? 

We'd have Coldplay doing three nights every year.