Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

Just now, thatTFBguy said:

On 90 min sets, I recall Mark Hoppus of blink-182 saying that anything longer and "crowds get bored". Not something I agree with personally but perhaps AM/Turner feel the same way.  

Judging from a lot of their performances, seems more likely that it’s the band who gets bored. 

46 minutes ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Can see A Certain Romance being added for Glastonbury then another one they’ve either not done for a while or never played

some fella on the AM forums who seems to have very good info was saying its coming back for glasto or sheffield. can't remember which, but if its sheffield as thats first could mean its back for both tbh

49 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

On 90 min sets, I recall Mark Hoppus of blink-182 saying that anything longer and "crowds get bored". Not something I agree with personally but perhaps AM/Turner feel the same way.  

At a Blink 182 gig, I'd be bored after about 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, thatTFBguy said:

sh*t excuse

7 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Judging from a lot of their performances, seems more likely that it’s the band who gets bored. 

For all the stick - and I agree as I’m someone who was very bored on their last tour - they were absolutely brilliant on Monday and seem to be getting great reviews in England this time around. Something felt different. Defiant almost. A swagger. 

Edited by strummer77

20 hours ago, gfa said:

some fella on the AM forums who seems to have very good info was saying its coming back for glasto or sheffield. can't remember which, but if its sheffield as thats first could mean its back for both tbh

Yeah given Alex's love for Glastonbury, I can't see him not delivering a top setlist. Last time they played, Why'd you only call me didn't quite make the sets for that year, TITP got a banging set in 2014 but they did miss out on fake tales.

I'm also very happy that after getting my confirmed hours as I'm working it this year I may well call it this year as I have no clashes to worry about at all....or at least who I can't see.

1 hour ago, Justiceforcedave said:

So, are Arctics meant to be good live? I saw a 5* review in the Guardian the other day, but I’ve also heard a fair few people saying they’re dull as dishwater.

Dull as dishwater.

I've not seen them this time round but the bar was so low i'm struggling to see if they are actually any good or just they've been sh*t for so long that a slight improvement is getting 5* reviews

The Guardian gave them 4* last tour and it was shocking so probably take that 5* with a pinch of salt lol

47 minutes ago, gfa said:

Dull as dishwater.

I've not seen them this time round but the bar was so low i'm struggling to see if they are actually any good or just they've been sh*t for so long that a slight improvement is getting 5* reviews

The Guardian gave them 4* last tour and it was shocking so probably take that 5* with a pinch of salt lol

Hot Chip or Fever Ray it is!

4 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

So, are Arctics meant to be good live? I saw a 5* review in the Guardian the other day, but I’ve also heard a fair few people saying they’re dull as dishwater.

Always been musically good and the production/show decent, but stage presence, audience interaction and band energy levels are almost always poor. Some questionable setlist choices too IMO but the recent run looks pretty solid. Also rarely do over 90-95 mins either which for a band of their stature/back catalogue is lazy if you ask me.

I think I’ll be at Pyramid on Friday though. Not seen them in 10 years so prepared to give them another shot. 

6 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Don't understand this "90 minutes is lazy" argument. It's the perfect set time for a headliner IMO - 2+ hours usually bores the arse off me - even with bands I love.

The exception being Neil Young, obviously!

I think when it comes to AM, the feeling is probably ‘if they played longer then they could play more WPSIA… material’, which in reality they still probably wouldn’t and they’d just add in more stuff from The Car or Tranquility. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think when it comes to AM, the feeling is probably ‘if they played longer then they could play more WPSIA… material’, which in reality they still probably wouldn’t and they’d just add in more stuff from The Car or Tranquility. 

That's not it for me.  I realise there are people out there who still hanker after their "lads & pints" phase material but I'm not one of them!

Completely subjective obviously, but I think any 90-95 minute AM set will have 3-5 great tracks missing.  The current setlist looks about as good as they've ever pulled together IMO, but without dropping anything, you could still add in: -

• Hellcat Spangled Shalalala
  • TBH&C
  • I Ain't Quite Where I Think I Am
  • A Certain Romance

All of which are top drawer and get you to a 1:50 - 1:55 set with zero flab.  That's all I'm saying really.

• Like 1

Their on stage effort is lacking at best. Their setlists in the past couple of years have been boring, too AM heavy and all around bad, especially for festival crowds.

And that's what is so annoying. We all know they have a banging 2h set in them, they apparently just can't be bothered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

Consistant opinion on here that AM are dull live and also need to go on for longer.

Only challenged by nearly everyone who has seen them live on this tour who claim they are smashing it.

Spot on. Amazing how everyone on here are ignoring people and reviews of the last week. After going to Ashton Gate I went from ‘meh’ on this to very up for the Friday night - it’s going to be great. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:03 PM, gfa said:

By the way - it was you who sorted me a presale code on my old account for the gig on friday so thank you again!

Saw them Friday and they where great. Even the new songs went down brilliantly.

Do wish the Glastonbury set was 10-15 minutes longer to fit some more songs in, hopefully they run over slightly.

They will probably engage the audience more at Glasto, where in Manchester there was little if any of that, so that cuts down playing slightly aswell