LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

The effect of covid losses and rampant inflation - many areas had their field budgets frozen.  Don't forget lots of festivals have gone out of business since 2019 - staying alive trumps innovation during these tough times.  But that said, we did get The Levels and all new Silver Hayes. 

I totally agree that to stay in business and relevant is huge. I will be absolutely buzzing in the build up there is no doubt. It just feels a tad flat at the moment

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, stuie said:

I think you're overestimating how much Emily does herself - she has a full team around her. 

Well yes, I know she doesn't organise Glastonbury herself (bit of a mansplain there?), but she's definitely the main decision-maker.

Edited by CharlotteB

8 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

Yeah Silver Hayes has definitely improved a lot although I wouldn't say it's anything that mindblowing. Lonely Hearts club was a really nice addition but already been around at LSTD, The levels is really cool but I looks like a bit like a budget Boomtown stage, which is fine except Glastonbury had previously been such a pioneer in stage design.
I think for me what is missing these days are the ravey theatrical shows -e.g. Arcadia 2010/landing/metamorphosis or Joe Rush shows - that really was some of the best stuff I've ever seen and I was always so excited to see what they were going to do next year. I may be wrong be it seems like that stuff has completely disappeared (I know T&Cs is full of different shows but they're pretty different!)

It's swings and roundabouts, I think. There is no question that Glastonbury is feeling the pinch, like all festivals. They have always had a mix of amazing and more conventional production values - remember that Boomtown set out to create a large-scale Lost Vagueness, and their artist roster has always reflected how they choose to allocate funds in their budget. And more power to them for sticking to the event they want. For me, that first Boomtown line-up post COVID was the best example of how they sacrifice booking budget for production budget.

For me, I would rather have slightly less spectacular and a slightly 'stronger' artist roster. So, The Levels was just fine for me. And, the sound on Lonely Hearts was unbelievably good. Say what you like about the incredible builds at Boomtown, when I went, the sound on the very biggest structures was average at best.

All hail the rebirth of Genosys!

Ben

16 minutes ago, tomf3 said:

I think for me what is missing these days are the ravey theatrical shows -e.g. Arcadia 2010/landing/metamorphosis or Joe Rush shows - that really was some of the best stuff I've ever seen and I was always so excited to see what they were going to do next year. 

YMMV on it, but Joe Rush got a whole new area last year.

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

yup!

Re: SH - although i thought The Levels, and in fact the whole area, last year was infinately better than recent years... i still want The Blues to come back!

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It's swings and roundabouts, I think. There is no question that Glastonbury is feeling the pinch, like all festivals. They have always had a mix of amazing and more conventional production values - remember that Boomtown set out to create a large-scale Lost Vagueness, and their artist roster has always reflected how they choose to allocate funds in their budget. And more power to them for sticking to the event they want. For me, that first Boomtown line-up post COVID was the best example of how they sacrifice booking budget for production budget.

For me, I would rather have slightly less spectacular and a slightly 'stronger' artist roster. So, The Levels was just fine for me. And, the sound on Lonely Hearts was unbelievably good. Say what you like about the incredible builds at Boomtown, when I went, the sound on the very biggest structures was average at best.

Ben

Yeah I totally support their decision making and think the fact that we got anything new since Covid is great, I'm just more trying to rationalise why it is that I'm not as hyped about it as previous years. That said, I'm sure once the individual areas start announcing their line ups (and more importantly for me) their plans aside from the music, I think there could be a lot of things to be very excited about! 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah unlike a lot on here I was actually a fan of Carhenge, and it served as a fantastic meeting place. I'd be happy to learn that they're developing it into more of a music venue (but I know the common consensus is get rid of it and bring back WG). 

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd argue one of the main changes that GFL need to make is that they need to learn to say "No" to Joe Rush.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Well yes, I know she doesn't organise Glastonbury herself (bit of a mansplain there?), but she's definitely the main decision-maker.

Well I don’t see what our genders have to do with it but if it made you feel better to use ‘man’ as a derogatory prefix then why not eh?  

On 3/18/2024 at 4:07 PM, DareToDibble said:

Are there any other changes that we are expecting other than the beloved Rabbit Hole?

Return of Genosys too (may have been said, checked a few replies  then skipped a few pages!)

On 3/22/2024 at 7:07 AM, Acid_Haze said:

Silver Hayes lineup next then - i'm thinking Tuesday.

Going to be at least after balance window surely

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

Well I don’t see what our genders have to do with it but if it made you feel better to use ‘man’ as a derogatory prefix then why not eh?  

Owee Stuie. Emily very obviously doesn't sort the festival on her own. That didn't need stating. If Emily is putting more time in to Michael, then there's less time for her to 'cheer lead' the festival so to speak. It's a fair point.

1 hour ago, tarw said:

?? The Levels and the whole of Silver Hayes generally. There have been a lot of changes. They might not excite you but I’m sure some have been excited by them. 
 Don’t forget that a lot of people will be going for the first time or after a long break. It’s just us regulars that have seen it all before. 

51 minutes ago, stuie said:

The effect of covid losses and rampant inflation - many areas had their field budgets frozen.  Don't forget lots of festivals have gone out of business since 2019 - staying alive trumps innovation during these tough times.  But that said, we did get The Levels and all new Silver Hayes. 

37 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There have certainly been changes in several areas, as outlined above.  Some like them others less so. 

As for the festival itself, plenty of folks are very hyped for it and that's before the individual stage posters kick off during the next week or two (based on previous years). 

If you're not feeling it, then you should look into your heart 😊

And we definitely shouldn't be having speculative discussions about MEs health, it's a touch crass imho

Edited by clarkete
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Calm down dear, I didn't mean to be sexist. I know you men get that all the time. Your condescending explanation (probably) had nothing to do with gender. 

• Upvote 1

Isn’t it the same every year though?

We build ourselves up for the  first poster speculating some totally unrealistic names. Then when it drops we are disappointed and deflated. When stages start to drop their own posters the anticipation will build again and when we get stage and time splits we start moaning about clashes

I think any excitement this year was going to feel more muted just because of how all-encompassing the hype for Elton John was. There aren't many acts that could have come close to replicating that excitement.

There isn't an obvious discussion point with this year's lineup in the same way, but I don't think that means the festival is going stale.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tarw said:

Isn’t it the same every year though?

We build ourselves up for the  first poster speculating some totally unrealistic names. Then when it drops we are disappointed and deflated. When stages start to drop their own posters the anticipation will build again and when we get stage and time splits we start moaning about clashes

100%.

Its just down to subjectivity who’s disappointed and who’s happy at this stage.

6 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Calm down dear, I didn't mean to be sexist. I know you men get that all the time. Your condescending explanation (probably) had nothing to do with gender. 

Back to the original point, what do you feel Emily isn't doing that she normally has by now? 

And to echo the above comment, to speculate on someone's health when you know nothing of their actual situation is a bit sh*tty. 

1 minute ago, mouserat said:

I think any excitement this year was going to feel more muted just because of how all-encompassing the hype for Elton John was. There aren't many acts that could have come close to replicating that excitement.

There isn't an obvious discussion point with this year's lineup in the same way, but I don't think that means the festival is going stale.

Agreed.

2022 had Macca too, though there was still plenty of debate about the other two headliners. The post-Covid catch up meant that was stacked across the whole bill.

This time last year we were wrapped up in a huge debate about female headliners when in fact last year had 3 massive headliners that were all in different ways a bit of a coup for GFL.

This year is back to a more standard line up, we’ll see in the coming years if it’s a signpost but for now it doesn’t mean the festival is losing its lustre.

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Back to the original point, what do you feel Emily isn't doing that she normally has by now? 

And to echo the above comment, to speculate on someone's health when you know nothing of their actual situation is a bit sh*tty. 

Well, considering his Mr Eavis's age, his reduced involvement, and his publicly documented health issues, I think it was a pretty fair thing for me to bring up, and I think it's unfair for you to say that it was a sh*tty thing for me to say. But based on your messages directed at me today, I get the feeling you feel better about yourself by making others feel crap about themselves. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I get the feeling you feel better about yourself by making others feel crap about themselves. 

Says the person who randomly accused me of mansplaining without reason or merit. 

Have a nice day, can't be bothered with this - you still didn't answer my question - and I'm sure it's not what people want to read either. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Along with the lineup as a whole being less than spectacular in terms of exciting big acts who have yet to play the festival, I think the fact they’ve given us the stage splits (a lot of which appear to be in day order, too) has really sucked some of the fun out of the post-lineup/pre-stage poster fun. We’d all be wondering who the f**k the subs are right now, wondering if Pulp are gonna get added in later, or what time Sugababes are gonna be on the Pyramid, but they’ve just done away with most of the wild speculation straight out the gate, most likely intentionally to avoid possible further disappointment. 

• Upvote 1

This is always a dead period. Little is announced between the initial poster and balance deadline day. We may get an area announcement like last year, but that was a bit of an outlier. Chances are there will be nothing until April 8th at the earliest.