LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

1 hour ago, Neil said:

they don't wing it, but they don't have the suggested (above) level of organisation for announcements.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

I refuse to believe that after 50 years they just wing it and produce their multi million pound event on the fly.

I concede that they might not have a sophisticated system for managing file access permissions and creating log ins for people.  It could well just be done on a drop box premium account. Melvin may just be shared links into his Gmail account so can't get onto it. 

But someone somewhere who's in charge of updating the website and creating the social media content will definitely have a sketched out plan of what's happening each week until June 30th. 

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

It's a nice wholesome image to project but behind the kitchen table I expect there's teams of bookers and agents and graphic designers and PR companies.  The narrative that Emily was taking control was being pushed at that point.

Oh I completely agree. Just a little anecdote given we were talking lineups and kitchen tables!

This image sums up what it's actually like behind the scenes. This is literally it. Just the two of them. They sort out the lineup on Boxing Day and set about building it all themselves come April time. All extremely chilled.

Any other people are works of fiction. The webcam is fake news.

This image was captured in 2011 as they single-handedly curated the line up. Emily's just suggested Coldplay, but Michael's still musing over whether Morrissey is too big a twat to book.

eavii.jpg.9a8898d6f4dfb792c84ba8ef0d16efc7.jpg

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

This image sums up what it's actually like behind the scenes. This is literally it. Just the two of them. They sort out the lineup on Boxing Day and set about building it all themselves come April time. All extremely chilled.

Any other people are works of fiction. The webcam is fake news.

eavii.jpg.9a8898d6f4dfb792c84ba8ef0d16efc7.jpg

That photo just begs to be a caption competition 

We aint booking Queen until that May character realises what damage badgers can do to a herd of prime milkers 

Timings wise, I only have them for 1st poster and full line up (missing a few) but they still jump about a bit.

14 April (Thu 16:30): Main stages

13 June (Mon): Full lineup with times

27 March (Wed 19:00): Main Stages

30 May (Thu): Full lineup

4 April (Fri 08:00): First lineup poster, most of main stages

22 May (Thu): Full lineup and times

14 April (Tue 19:00): First line up poster (no 3rd headliner)

2 June (Tue): Full line up including days & set times

29 March (Tue 08:20): First Line up poster

31 May (Tue): Full Line Up including days and times

30th March (Thu 08:00): First Lineup Poster

30 May (Tue 10:00): Full Lineup including days and times

15 March (08:00 Friday): First Lineup Poster

29 May (12:00 Wed): Full lineup including days times

12 March (18:58 Thu): First Lineup Poster 

04 March (08:30 Fri): First Line-up Poster 

30 May (Mon 10:55): Full Line-up including days and times

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

The idea that a multi million pound company with untold numbers of moving parts doesn't have the correct systems and procedures in place is laughable. 

Maybe the the original festival was back of the fag packet type stuff, Glasto 2023 is not. 

Indeed!  Makes you wonder what all the full time members of staff do in their purpose built office building! 

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Timings wise, I only have them for 1st poster and full line up (missing a few) but they still jump about a bit.

14 April (Thu 16:30): Main stages

13 June (Mon): Full lineup with times

27 March (Wed 19:00): Main Stages

30 May (Thu): Full lineup

4 April (Fri 08:00): First lineup poster, most of main stages

22 May (Thu): Full lineup and times

14 April (Tue 19:00): First line up poster (no 3rd headliner)

2 June (Tue): Full line up including days & set times

29 March (Tue 08:20): First Line up poster

31 May (Tue): Full Line Up including days and times

30th March (Thu 08:00): First Lineup Poster

30 May (Tue 10:00): Full Lineup including days and times

15 March (08:00 Friday): First Lineup Poster

29 May (12:00 Wed): Full lineup including days times

12 March (18:58 Thu): First Lineup Poster 

04 March (08:30 Fri): First Line-up Poster 

30 May (Mon 10:55): Full Line-up including days and times

I think they might just be going for a line up poster first half of March - my guess 9th - similar to last few years. As we're now end of Feb without another announcement and not even a non-headline one like Simz/Lana/Janelle Monae of recent times so just seems odd to start drip feeding when so close to initial poster drop

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

I concede that they might not have a sophisticated system for managing file access permissions and creating log ins for people.  It could well just be done on a drop box premium account. Melvin may just be shared links into his Gmail account so can't get onto it. 

But someone somewhere who's in charge of updating the website and creating the social media content will definitely have a sketched out plan of what's happening each week until June 30th. 

Yeah, there's probably a loose plsn, but that wouldn't be good enough for someone else to work a plan from. 

Other festivals have a plan and systems around that plan, without a firm plan, there can't be systems to work other plans from. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

Yeah, there's probably a loose plsn, but that wouldn't be good enough for someone else to work a plan from. 

Other festivals have a plan and systems around that plan, without a firm plan, there can't be systems to work other plans from. 

Presume you talk in terms of a press release for the lineup and not getting one ? 

If Glastonbury had a fixed plan like other festivals do, they'd be able to send out press releases like other festivals do. Other organised festivals wouldn't choose to undermine that organisation, by relying on Glastonbury chaos for their system. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Presume you talk in terms of a press release for the lineup and not getting one ? 

I've never seen a press release from glastinbury for anything..... Strange that people who don't have an arm in these systems think they know how they work. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

If Glastonbury had a fixed plan like other festivals do, they'd be able to send out press releases like other festivals do. Other organised festivals wouldn't choose to undermine that organisation, by relying on Glastonbury chaos for their system. 

Surely they don't send it out to prevent leaks? They know its front page news anyway so why bother

Their whole thing is publicity to get bookings / airtime etc, its clearly a calculated decision

Just now, Crouchinho76 said:

I envisage a quirky announcement for a single headliner, a la Stormzy and the Oxfam shop, Radiohead and the field, etc. etc. 

My guess - a "Welcome to Glastonbury" road sign is replaced with "Welcome to the Jungle"

Can't wait for the fred again headline set!

Just now, Neil said:

I've never seen a press release from glastinbury for anything..... Strange that people who don't have an arm in these systems think they know how they work. 

So basically Glastonbury don’t seem to be very organised in that aspect … maybe a could do better situation they’ve not adressed over many years that the smaller festivals are on top of .. I guess glastonbury can be a little complacent because of demand 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

They don’t need to do press releases do they? They drop the line up and the press pick it up. 

What is strange is you suggesting glasto produce the largest festival without any systems and plans. You don’t need an arm in festivals to know that’s gibberish. 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So basically Glastonbury don’t seem to be very organised in that aspect … maybe a could do better situation they’ve not adressed over many years that the smaller festivals are on top of .. I guess glastonbury can be a little complacent because of demand 

Nothing to do with organised or not. They just don’t need to overwork themselves getting the major outlets to like them. Whenever they drop a lineup the press prioritises the story. They are in a fortunate position.