Dealing with Glasto fomo..

Gashead86

Half and half here, part of our group got tickets and I'm so pleased for them and it's great to see their social media posts.  I've been reading these forums for the last few weeks and there is that pang of disappointment I can't deny it.

However last year we all went to our other local festival End Of The Road and simply loved that festival and we're going again in September.  It didn't have that visual impact that Glastonbury does (not many do tbh), but every element of EOTR was brilliant.

So it's now become our 'backup' for Glastonbury, but tbh, given how much I enjoyed EOTR (and I'm getting older!), I could easily see it becoming a permanent replacement.  Will thoroughly enjoy watching/listening to Glastonbury this weekend, then do EOTR and take stock after that I think.

I've v tempted to go for another bike ride over towards Pilton later, but I think that might just bring on FOMO!

55 minutes ago, geoffboycott said:

Half and half here, part of our group got tickets and I'm so pleased for them and it's great to see their social media posts.  I've been reading these forums for the last few weeks and there is that pang of disappointment I can't deny it.

However last year we all went to our other local festival End Of The Road and simply loved that festival and we're going again in September.  It didn't have that visual impact that Glastonbury does (not many do tbh), but every element of EOTR was brilliant.

So it's now become our 'backup' for Glastonbury, but tbh, given how much I enjoyed EOTR (and I'm getting older!), I could easily see it becoming a permanent replacement.  Will thoroughly enjoy watching/listening to Glastonbury this weekend, then do EOTR and take stock after that I think.

I've v tempted to go for another bike ride over towards Pilton later, but I think that might just bring on FOMO!

EOTR has become my permanent replacement for Glastonbury I think - much more bearable for my mobility issues & the music is always right up my street. I'll be doing my 15th EOTR this year - only missed the first one!

I'm going to watch on TV & spend the time planning the logistics of a potential return in 2023.  Had tickets for 2016, epically failed to get there due to the awful weather & 28 hours attempting to get near the site from the Tuesday into the CV fields & my poor health meant we could wait no longer in the car to figure out how long the piece of string was until we would actually arrive... married in 2017, had our baby in 2018, and probably would have returned with her sooner if not for the pandemic...

Next year we'd like to bring her but trying to figure out how WV/Sticklinch or hiring a van would work out - she's a bit too 'spirited' to endure hours in the queue & a long walk with all our stuff only to find family camping full! 😄 

5 hours ago, rob.a said:

Fully embracing it (while being incredibly jealous of the chosen). I've been listening to 6 music all morning. It sounds glorious.  

Absolutely!  The only thing to do!  Looking forward to watching Macca on Sat and taking me back to my first Glasto in '04.  Live and Let Die.

5 minutes ago, **claire** said:

I'm going to watch on TV & spend the time planning the logistics of a potential return in 2023.  Had tickets for 2016, epically failed to get there due to the awful weather & 28 hours attempting to get near the site from the Tuesday into the CV fields & my poor health meant we could wait no longer in the car to figure out how long the piece of string was until we would actually arrive... married in 2017, had our baby in 2018, and probably would have returned with her sooner if not for the pandemic...

Next year we'd like to bring her but trying to figure out how WV/Sticklinch or hiring a van would work out - she's a bit too 'spirited' to endure hours in the queue & a long walk with all our stuff only to find family camping full! 😄 

Snap with the 2018 baby! Didn't fancy going in 19' with a 1 year old 😂 I'm planning on taking our bike trailer if we get tickets for next year, load it up with our kid and our stuff. Winner! I'd love to get pitched in cockmill but realistically wicket is bigger and more likely 

To be honest I am finding it a bit harder than I expected. The stream of pictures from friends on Twitter and Facebook coupled with a tough day at work isn’t helping. My plan was to get some nice beers in and enjoy the weekend coverage, however it seems as if my wife’s family have other plans. Oh well. Roll on the next T Day 

29 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Snap with the 2018 baby! Didn't fancy going in 19' with a 1 year old 😂 I'm planning on taking our bike trailer if we get tickets for next year, load it up with our kid and our stuff. Winner! I'd love to get pitched in cockmill but realistically wicket is bigger and more likely 

Yeah that's another alternative - although she's growing out of the bike trailer already! 🙂 Wicket could work... I need to get re-associated with all things Glastonbury!  If my husband turns up at Wicket with our stuff but without his family, would he get in I wonder, if we then headed in a bit later once the queues had died down?!  I think queuing with her for hours on end would set the weekend off on a bad footing tbh 🤣

35 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can honestly say that it would benefit no one if I were at Glastonbury right now. I can also confirm that I'm OK with that. It pleases me to think that my 'place' there has now been taken over by others. 

I hope you are well @Yoghurt on a Stick? I haven't seen too many of your wonderful musings of late...

I know what you mean by saying it 'pleases you to see others take your place..'

I read a post yesterday from from a fella in NI that is staying in the Campervan Fields.. It is his first time and he thanked me for an old post where i described the lovely feeling of anticipation in the CV Fields when you turn up on the Tuesday.. As he was experiencing very much the same thing yesterday...

I like to think he has my tickets and my place in the CV Fields this year.. and can make some wonderful memories, as i did in previous years.. 

Take care!

• Upvote 1

We didn't have tickets but I did have a late way in come through. Even later than that though I got a date for surgery for last week. That's all done but can only walk about 1000 steps a day tops.

So I've made my peace with not going. A friend on site has been sending pics since the weekend and I'm made up for her that she's there. Had a chat this morning while she was sat in the shade watching everyone struggle in the heat with all their stuff and I could hear background sounds.

I'll watch bits and bobs over the weekend but to be honest, the TV coverage never interests me very much 

5 minutes ago, MrHew said:

We didn't have tickets but I did have a late way in come through. Even later than that though I got a date for surgery for last week. That's all done but can only walk about 1000 steps a day tops.

So I've made my peace with not going. A friend on site has been sending pics since the weekend and I'm made up for her that she's there. Had a chat this morning while she was sat in the shade watching everyone struggle in the heat with all their stuff and I could hear background sounds.

I'll watch bits and bobs over the weekend but to be honest, the TV coverage never interests me very much 

All the best with your recovery, that's the important thing 🙂 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

EOTR has become my permanent replacement for Glastonbury I think - much more bearable for my mobility issues & the music is always right up my street. I'll be doing my 15th EOTR this year - only missed the first one!

Yeah, I loved the vibe of it, the ease of moving about, the people, the food and booze, just everything was so good.  It ticked all the boxes music wise and general vibe of it.  It suited me perfectly and like Glastonbury it's only 20 or so mins away from home.

I've had a good run at Glastonbury and many other more dance music related festivals and the 90s free parties over the last 25+ years.  We'll def try again for tickets in October, but my gut feel is EOTR is the one I'll be definitely be on the early bird again.

More than happy to meet up this year at EOTR for a beer.  Actually is there a EOTR efests meet-up?... I'll go check!

• Upvote 1

This is crazy. I didn't know it would hit me that hard.

I'm currently based in Poland, and managed to get tix for 2017 and 2019. Sadly my group wasn't that lucky back in October 2019. 

The last two years been really difficult and hard to me, so I genuinely wish I was there sipping some cider and enjoying the Bonfire show now, and then hit to Block9 or somewhere else. 

Some of my pals are there, I made a huge mistake checking on IG stories and it literally crashed me. I didn't leave my bed today, it sucks not to be there. I have never experienced anything like it, it's literally fear of missing something huge and amazing that it is not going to be your own memory. I want to wake up on Monday when it's over. I'm happy for all of the people who are there, but you know...

Keep fingers crossed for 2023! 

BTW. The wristbands look beautiful this year!

Edited by youknow

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

I hope you are well @Yoghurt on a Stick? I haven't seen too many of your wonderful musings of late...

I know what you mean by saying it 'pleases you to see others take your place..'

I read a post yesterday from from a fella in NI that is staying in the Campervan Fields.. It is his first time and he thanked me for an old post where i described the lovely feeling of anticipation in the CV Fields when you turn up on the Tuesday.. As he was experiencing very much the same thing yesterday...

I like to think he has my tickets and my place in the CV Fields this year.. and can make some wonderful memories, as i did in previous years.. 

Take care!

Hello BlueDaze,

I'll not go into how I am, as I'm currently experiencing some respite from how I am. I hope that you are in a better than that position- much better.

Well done for helping someone out. That's one element of the beauty of this forum. I should imagine it's a great position to be in, by being parked up in the campervan fields by the Tuesday evening / night. If ever I were to go to Glastonbury again, it may well involve that course of action. 🙂

32 minutes ago, youknow said:

This is crazy. I didn't know it would hit me that hard.

I'm currently based in Poland, and managed to get tix for 2017 and 2019. Sadly my group wasn't that lucky back in October 2019. 

The last two years been really difficult and hard to me, so I genuinely wish I was there sipping some cider and enjoying the Bonfire show now, and then hit to Block9 or somewhere else. 

Some of my pals are there, I made a huge mistake checking on IG stories and it literally crashed me. I didn't leave my bed today, it sucks not to be there. I have never experienced anything like it, it's literally fear of missing something huge and amazing that it is not going to be your own memory. I want to wake up on Monday when it's over. I'm happy for all of the people who are there, but you know...

Keep fingers crossed for 2023! 

BTW. The wristbands look beautiful this year!

Ah man! I feel your pain! 

It’s not easy is it. 

I guess I am lucky this time in that I don’t know anyone there personally. That makes it way I know, from bitter experience! 

Stay strong brother, our time will come again! But for now, just know that we are some of the lucky ones. There are some out there who have never been at all..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoffboycott said:

Yeah, I loved the vibe of it, the ease of moving about, the people, the food and booze, just everything was so good.  It ticked all the boxes music wise and general vibe of it.  It suited me perfectly and like Glastonbury it's only 20 or so mins away from home.

I've had a good run at Glastonbury and many other more dance music related festivals and the 90s free parties over the last 25+ years.  We'll def try again for tickets in October, but my gut feel is EOTR is the one I'll be definitely be on the early bird again.

More than happy to meet up this year at EOTR for a beer.  Actually is there a EOTR efests meet-up?... I'll go check!

Yeah I'm happy to meet for a beer at EOTR - especially as I'm usually a lone ranger. Give us a shout nearer the time (probably on the EOTR thread).

• Like 1

I keep thinking about ticket sale day all those years ago and the devastation of not getting tickets, now really starting to hit home I'm not there.  

saying that I hope everyone has a fab time, the sun shines but im green with envy. 

going to see chemical brothers sunday (if they don't covid cancel) so will have a few beers and distract myself there. 

enjoy 

3 hours ago, geoffboycott said:

You could also try Green Man, as I'm sure you're aware. Similar vibe, bigger (but very, very manageable). Solid level of partying. The lineup is similarly based around psych and more left-field stuff.

They're the three for me - Glastonbury, GM, EOTR. Probably won't make any this year though!

So I basically got as far as packing all my stuff, everything arranged over the weekend, and we’ve had a last-minute family emergency, sadly. I need to be here to support loved ones so there wasn’t really a decision to make. I know given the wider picture it’s not what’s important right now, but it doesn’t stop me wanting to burst into tears when I put the radio on, or catch something on IG etc.

It’s been a tough few years, and as much as anything else I was looking forward to a break. I always think of Glastonbury as being a tonic; frankly, it restores my faith in humanity. Even before the events of the last couple of days I think I just needed that this year. Once this passes I’m resolved to try and channel those good vibes in some way. Love to everyone else who feels a little bit heartbroken, and especially if you have been going through a difficult time.

Edited by kh24
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3