The Weather Thread 2023

tazbang

Latest gfs is interesting. Shows the low sat south moving up the west side of the country in the week before bringing just a few showers. Another low out in the Atlantic moves towards us, but at the same time a lovely HP finger forming over the weekend before the festival… Is there a slim chance this could push the second low north too? 🤞🤞🤞

5C5E8573-D685-43F7-B91B-4F8A71BB291A.webp.e5484ba1e1dbe715c8403fc49b7fe9de.webp

A2938378-DA8A-463F-A620-D97A780665CC.webp.e63b12a3d47ab93fcc9bd15e5a4d320d.webp

2B01FCE1-3B7F-4CD3-AEF2-3BCA51D2EB05.webp.f700abf346cd8d01c2edafecb47a36eb.webp

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Temperature doesn't matter. All that matters is NFRNFC. Wear long sleeves, wear a jumper, wear a woolly hat at night time, have a hot and spicy cider. As long as we don't have to wear waterproofs and can sit on the floor that's all we really need

This is the way 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Tomorrowland was 39degrees and ridiclous humidity for 2 days solid.

I'd take that again instead of f**king rain and mud. Just having nowhere to sit throughout the day's will be a joke. Purchase a sun umbrella 

This man also knows

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

So hot & Muddy... the worst possible outcome.

Christ. 

I do love a storm though. 2014 was one of my favourite glastonbury moments

And...the omens are good for storms. Rudimental are playing 😅. I did enjoy the storm - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I knew what was about to happen and managed to get inside a tent before the deluge!

3 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

And...the omens are good for storms. Rudimental are playing 😅. I did enjoy the storm - I'm a bit of a weather geek so I knew what was about to happen and managed to get inside a tent before the deluge!

I hid under a tractor. The rain was unreal

I love reading back on previous weather threads knowing what they ultimately faced. This year is all to play for but I'm pretty confident it will be mostly dry on the lead up so no day 1 mud baths. As long as I can sit on the ground I'm happy.

Edited by Jackomanaco

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Latest gfs is interesting. Shows the low sat south moving up the west side of the country in the week before bringing just a few showers. Another low out in the Atlantic moves towards us, but at the same time a lovely HP finger forming over the weekend before the festival… Is there a slim chance this could push the second low north too? 🤞🤞🤞

5C5E8573-D685-43F7-B91B-4F8A71BB291A.webp.e5484ba1e1dbe715c8403fc49b7fe9de.webp

A2938378-DA8A-463F-A620-D97A780665CC.webp.e63b12a3d47ab93fcc9bd15e5a4d320d.webp

2B01FCE1-3B7F-4CD3-AEF2-3BCA51D2EB05.webp.f700abf346cd8d01c2edafecb47a36eb.webp

I'm up for a good fingering.

Latest GFS run is out and it takes us to 6am Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.38937a2d120423a46a63a8e0d1b7f9ae.png

And of course it's a knife edge.  Looks like we're going to have a battle between the low pressure to the north and high pressure from the south.  

Once again, the runs show a little bit of rain over the next 2 weeks though nothing of concern.

As long as that low pressure goes no further south, we should be golden.

1 hour ago, BambooShanks said:

Latest GFS run is out and it takes us to 6am Wednesday.

image.thumb.png.38937a2d120423a46a63a8e0d1b7f9ae.png

And of course it's a knife edge.  Looks like we're going to have a battle between the low pressure to the north and high pressure from the south.  

Once again, the runs show a little bit of rain over the next 2 weeks though nothing of concern.

As long as that low pressure goes no further south, we should be golden.

Metoffice were stating the Low was coming from southern Europe (the continent). That seems to be what's happening next weekend as opposed to the weekend before Glasto. This throws it all up the air even more. FIngers crossed.

image.png

Do any of the super weather geeks on here remember forecasting in a particularly dry summer - I'm thinking 2018 - and if the forecast knew no rain was on the way for ages, or if it kept predicting rain which never came? 

Edited by Sasperella2

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

Not all wet years follow the same pattern. It’s possible to have a perfect run in and a wet muddy festival.  

Good point.  I think every one I've been to that's had any degree of rain/mud has been quite vastly different actually.  And of those, I'd say only 2016 was muddy all 5 days (well, I left Sat night but presume it didn't dry out!)

2011 I recall was dry on arrival, started raining on and off later on Thurs, then battered it down properly on Friday.  Friday night was torrential which turned it into a quagmire (giggedy!) which made me swap my plans to "whatever I can watch in a tent".  By Sunday lunchtime it was dry to the point of being back in trainers.  Absolutely nuts.

• Upvote 1

The thing of a dry build period might be about to go out of the window because the usually reliable YR are currently predicting an absolute deluge on Tuesday 13/Wednesday 14! Long way to go though and other places aren't seeing it that way yet.

I've done various festivals from 05 - 16. The aforementioned two being the only ones I had any issue. 2005 was glorious until the festival started on friday morning and then there was a bout 3 weeks rainfall in the morning. The site did not hold up and I distinctly remember seeing canoe's on the campsite! However 2016 was the worst. It rained almost non stop bar a decent spell now and again that only served to dry up the mud enough to be horrendous to move through, but never enough to sit down! Glasto is my happy place, but even for me not being able to sit down for almost a week was heavy going, plus every step felt like at least 3 because it was so hard to move through the constantly muddy conditions. 

48 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2011 I recall was dry on arrival, started raining on and off later on Thurs, then battered it down properly on Friday.  Friday night was torrential which turned it into a quagmire

There was slight delays on opening the gates Wednesday morning as they were letting the ground drain a bit more so there was definite rain in the build up. It rained hard on the Wednesday just as we got in as my only hoody got soaked through putting the tents up. The rain got a lot worse after that and I ended up having to buy wellies and a poncho on site. 

The rain stopped not long after those purchases. 

7 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

I was in the crowd for that, it was certainly spectacular!