Wednesday vs Thursday Entry

kemosabe

59 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Mine was 2005, rocked up about 3pm and pitched easily in Oxylers! Moved to Williams in 2007 and got there for the gates opening, it was practically empty until teatime. Bought a caravan after the festival 2008 as we decided it was time for some comfort when it rained! 

Camping anywhere was easy until 2009 then it’s just steadily got worse and worse as each year goes by.

Edited by gooner1990

7 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

Thread made me think of a question, is there less traffic around the site on Thursday or more? Specifically thinking of catching the worthy view shuttle

I have a 830 coach from Bristol then will need to catch the WV shuttle from the coach park, wondering what time I'll be there at too! 

I chose Thursday to take one day less leave off work... thought it would be easier to get tickets in the sale... and don't know if I could hack the five days and still be on top form Sunday night ! 

I absolutely love the Wednesday, but the one time I had to go on the Thursday (well Wednesday night but spent most of the evening in traffic - arrived at 1am!), it was due to too many booking time off work.

Now I was gutted and angry all day on the Wednesday. Woke up in a bit of a mood the Thursday and...went on to have my best Glastonbury yet. This was 2016.

I'd never voluntarily do it again, but if it was that vs not going at all, I definitely would do it. 

Think i've always arrived early hours of Wednesday. TBH the thought of a full nights sleep Tuesday night is tempting. Add to that, by far the worst part of the whole festival is the queuing to get in with all your gear, sometimes in the pissing rain or roasting sun.

The one time i didnt arrive so early was in 2015 when i got coach tickets and i arrived around 6pm. Walked straight in, lovely.

As much as it's romanticised, and rightly so to some degree, Wednesday is the least interesting day of the festival imo. It has its own magic but you aren't missing out on much.

Thursday for us now. I’m 45. I appreciate being able to just wander straight in, I’m not fussed about being camped anywhere central (usually just stop near Gate A for the Bus Station in fact) and am finding much more energy still in the legs on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Think i've always arrived early hours of Wednesday. TBH the thought of a full nights sleep Tuesday night is tempting. Add to that, by far the worst part of the whole festival is the queuing to get in with all your gear, sometimes in the pissing rain or roasting sun.

The one time i didnt arrive so early was in 2015 when i got coach tickets and i arrived around 6pm. Walked straight in, lovely.

As much as it's romanticised, and rightly so to some degree, Wednesday is the least interesting day of the festival imo. It has its own magic but you aren't missing out on much.

I agree on that on one hand, but on the other what I love about it IS the relaxation. There's not so much to do so its sort of like a proper holiday day, and while obviously you can choose to spend the other days in that sort of state of mind, there are generally bands etc to go to and it would probably take a lot of willpower for me not to be tied into band times. The Wednesday gives a sort of carefree feeling to me that goes away a bit as the weekend goes on (replaced by a good level of manic times, but still different). Sitting around catching up, ambling around looking at food stalls, Greenfields etc, sunset on one of the hills. I absolutely love it. 

That said, Thursday is my favourite day, as it has that mix of the two states as the day goes on leading up to hanging out at William's Green half watching the bands from outside (though I did venture in for Pale Waves last time as I really like them), then getting lost in the first "proper" nighttime. After 2013 where I pretty much lost the Thursday due to getting set up by 9am Wednesday and just caning the cider til 1am, I haven't made that mistake again so usually feel great Thursday morning. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree on that on one hand, but on the other what I love about it IS the relaxation. There's not so much to do so its sort of like a proper holiday day, and while obviously you can choose to spend the other days in that sort of state of mind, there are generally bands etc to go to and it would probably take a lot of willpower for me not to be tied into band times. The Wednesday gives a sort of carefree feeling to me that goes away a bit as the weekend goes on (replaced by a good level of manic times, but still different). Sitting around catching up, ambling around looking at food stalls, Greenfields etc, sunset on one of the hills. I absolutely love it. 

That said, Thursday is my favourite day, as it has that mix of the two states as the day goes on leading up to hanging out at William's Green half watching the bands from outside (though I did venture in for Pale Waves last time as I really like them), then getting lost in the first "proper" nighttime. After 2013 where I pretty much lost the Thursday due to getting set up by 9am Wednesday and just caning the cider til 1am, I haven't made that mistake again so usually feel great Thursday morning. 

Completely agree, and reading your description of Wednesday fills me with joy. It's exactly what i love to do. But i guess, if i was to pick any day to miss it would be Wednesday out of the 5.

I arrived on an early coach on Thursday in 2015 in a similar position. Arrived with a veteran who showed me some of the sights whilst things were very quiet on the way to find our camp which the rest of our group had kindly set up. Turning up with a small rucksack on Thursday is great. You can get stuck straight in.

I'll be doing similar this year but general admission due to childcare related stuff.

Edited by Mamba

Been arriving Wednesday for years, after realising my error at my first one by arriving late Thursday. The Wednesday is unmissable for me, but I pace myself so there’s no way I’ll be going crazy on the first day!

The ease of sauntering in from the CV fields around 11am when the queues have abated is very pleasurable. 

I’m team Wednesday all the way - normally in the queue some time in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Saying that though, my actual best Glasto ever (having started in 2005) was 2016…oddly the one year that we got in just shy of midnight on the Wednesday, having had a long day waiting for the Taunton coach to navigate the awful road conditions following the bad weather.

So ultimately I feel Glastonbury’s what you make of it once you get there…

Tuesday night as soon as the car parks open!  A kip in the car park, a few drinks and a brew up.  Always some impromptu gatherings and folk to chat with around the carpark. Even do it now for worthy view, car gets parked in a location that means easier getting out on the Monday.  Try and get as much time as we can on the farm!  Wednesday is great, good day to wander and some live music in places like the Avalon cafe. 

47 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

The Wednesday magic for me is having that group of mates in one place at the same time, only really happens at Glastonbury. There's usually a good 20-30 of us and we come from all over the UK and the world. Just being able to share a drink together is an amazing accomplishment, much less that being at Glastonbury. 

Going to be even more emotional and poignant after the last 2/3 years. I know there will be a point on Wednesday when our crew is all together, chatting and having a few Brothers together and I'll take a moment to look round the place and drink everything in and have a nice happy cry. 

It's going to be my first year pitching up on Wednesday this year, have always been a Thursday lunchtime arrival, mainly just to save a day of leave. I'm very excited at the prospect of getting an extra 24 hours there, I have very few things by now that are must do's at the festival, am far more of a go with the flow these days, but I absolutely, 100%, must watch the sun go down on Wednesday night whilst sitting up on the hill behind the teepee field and the ribbon tower. I couldn't get a ticket for 2019 and someone sent me a video of them on the hill that Wednesday night and I've not felt FOMO like it.........

• Like 1

Arrived on a Thursday night by coach the first year I went (2000). I don’t think it bothered me at all at the time, but I knew nothing at all about Glastonbury back then - so no fomo & no expectations. But after driving there for the Wednesday in 2002, I must’ve noticed the difference as I’ve always arrived Wednesdays ever since. 
Had a couple of late Wed arrivals in recently due to crappy traffic or crappy Seecoach drivers - and even that stressed me out….so I’d probably lose my mind having to do a Thursday.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Friends of mine who used to go in the 90s used to say most people wouldn’t normally turn up until after work on the Friday.

I can recall my first few years the Wednesday was always pretty quiet and until in 2009 they started punting it as a 5 day festival it’s just been completely rammed from Weds lunchtime onwards ever since!

Yeah, we had friends who came down from London, although we would often have either put up their tent or saved a bit of space for them.

Way back what seems even crazier is driving your car in and then simply pitching your tent next to it.  Some folks would inevitably leave at different points and be driving past tents with folks in and none of those carefully arranged corridors they have in the CV fields or car parks, health and safety nightmare 😉 

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

The Wednesday magic for me is having that group of mates in one place at the same time, only really happens at Glastonbury. There's usually a good 20-30 of us and we come from all over the UK and the world. Just being able to share a drink together is an amazing accomplishment, much less that being at Glastonbury. 

Going to be even more emotional and poignant after the last 2/3 years. I know there will be a point on Wednesday when our crew is all together, chatting and having a few Brothers together and I'll take a moment to look round the place and drink everything in and have a nice happy cry. 

Love that. Live in that moment and enjoy it mate.

agree that it will be even more special after so long. My life has changed so much since the last one and with lockdown and having a baby, I literally haven’t spent more than a day away from my house in 2.5 years, nevermind with my mates.

My first was a Thursday (2009), I think they were easing me in, and my tent was already pitched when I arrived a big factor!

After the first time, I decided to do a Wednesday for a few reasons...

1. Wanted a bit more time to explore before the masses arrived on Friday.
  2. Took over finding camp and pitching for my crew, so needed to carry my own tent in
  3. Avoid the fomo of the people that were there on Weds without me....

Like others have said, if its your first, you won't know the difference, you'll miss a day of bimbling and getting oriented, but then getting lost is half the fun!

9 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I’m the opposite - I’ve been to every Glastonbury since 2002, and this will be my first time to arrive on a Wednesday.  In fact, most of those early years I didn’t get there until first thing, 9am, Friday morning! 

😲

I’ve never NOT arrived on a Wednesday since 2004!