2023 legend slot

ProperTea

33 minutes ago, CantWaitForGlasto22 said:

Could it be Robbie Williams? Or is he ruled out because doing Sandringham and IoW?

He's advertised as being a UK festival exclusive at IOW, but more than that the fact he's in Norway the day before indicates that at minimum Glastonbury wasn't planned when building his schedule and would be awkward to fit in now.

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

They've kind of painted themselves into a corner with this slot. 

Yes and no.  Assuming they feel the need to continue with it then definitely, as the pool of "legends" gets shallower and they find themselves expanding the definition, at least in as much as there is a definition.

But then as a festival they try stuff, so it for some years and then change it up.  There's no reason that they won't look at it as some point and decide to either outright do away with it, or gradually kill it off with less "legendary" acts until it becomes a piece of history and there's a slot on late Sunday afternoon for something vaguely inoffensive and pleasant.

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

Spice girls would’ve made zero sense at the height of their fame, they simply would never have been booked. Spice girls make more sense the more time elapses.

Absolutely.  It'd be nice if the Legend had a bit more musical integrity, but in the 90s the festival wouldn't have touched them whereas it feels like Glastonbury is less up itself since when the cognoscenti revolted because The Smiths were playing.  And the legend slot isn't really about trying to play them when they're in their prime.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yes and no.  Assuming they feel the need to continue with it then definitely, as the pool of "legends" gets shallower and they find themselves expanding the definition, at least in as much as there is a definition.

But then as a festival they try stuff, so it for some years and then change it up.  There's no reason that they won't look at it as some point and decide to either outright do away with it, or gradually kill it off with less "legendary" acts until it becomes a piece of history and there's a slot on late Sunday afternoon for something vaguely inoffensive and pleasant.

I think that is fair enough. The festival evolves. What worked before may not work in the future. Other than keeping the crowds in one very big place so other areas have a bit more space that is a little more stress free. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Part of the problem is that the past few years has narrowed the definition and expectations quite a bit. Go back fifteen years ago, booking say Carole King would have been reasonably well received - whereas today many would see it as not bombastic or kitsch enough. For my money a reset to bring in artists of that calibre is well worth doing even if it disappoints people looking for pure name value for a year or two.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Part of the problem is that the past few years has narrowed the definition and expectations quite a bit. Go back fifteen years ago, booking say Carole King would have been reasonably well received - whereas today many would see it as not bombastic or kitsch enough. For my money a reset to bring in artists of that calibre is well worth doing even if it disappoints people looking for pure name value for a year or two.

I'm sure Carole King is on whatever shortlist they have already. She just doesn't gig that often outside the US.

In a pinch wouldn't put it past the festival to get Chic/Nile Rodgers in. Yes they're ubiquitous and are clearly a lot smaller in stature but they'd still go down like a storm. Albeit having pretty much played the same spot in 2017 following on from Bazza. 

In the area and with the weekend clear. Wouldn't rule out a return to West Holts headliner either. 

Would be an extremely unexciting booking but they've got the tunes and show for it.

7 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

In a pinch wouldn't put it past the festival to get Chic/Nile Rodgers in. Yes they're ubiquitous and are clearly a lot smaller in stature but they'd still go down like a storm. Albeit having pretty much played the same spot in 2017 following on from Bazza. 

In the area and with the weekend clear. Wouldn't rule out a return to West Holts headliner either. 

Would be an extremely unexciting booking but they've got the tunes and show for it.

They should do anyway. They are superb live and a proper party band.

Far from unexciting IMO, although they'd do extremely well to match their previous WH gig.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

They should do anyway. They are superb live and a proper party band.

Far from unexciting IMO, although they'd do extremely well to match their previous WH gig.

It's unexciting because they played the festival in 2013 and 2017 not in the legend slot, and could easily simply play elsewhere on the line up. They've played virtually everywhere, every summer. As bookings go it would be exceptionally plain, despite the fact they bring the party.

But if the festival would rather scale down the size of the act whilst keeping the same vibe as Kylie, Diana etc then they're a good fit, albeit very obvious. 

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

Yes please, they were fantastic again last Summer in Bristol 

17 minutes ago, boredawn said:

So, it was the 25th anniversary of Jagged Little Pill earlier this year, so would Alanis Morrisettè fit the bill? Proper 90's legend and seems to be doing the odd festival this year.

Would be a great shout, didn't know she was active but she's doing some random set in USA in May and nothing else. Would be an ace booking.

4 hours ago, kingbadger said:

Would be a great shout, didn't know she was active but she's doing some random set in USA in May and nothing else. Would be an ace booking.

I went to the see her during the anniversary tour earlier this year, and I cried tears of joy from the very first note played to the last. 

She has always been a hero of mine, but never managed to see her. I had tickets for a much smaller venue for her show in 2008, but I ended up getting the opportunity to go on an all expenses paid trip to Ghana for 3 months, and I had to give the tickets to my sister. Even tho I was away on this amazing trip I was devastated at not being able to go. I waited from 2008 to 2022 to finally catch her live and it was one of the best experiences of my life, I was so giddy and light headed with joy that I honestly felt like my head might just float off from my neck into orbit, and I would have been totally fine with that. I took three packets of hankies because I knew I would be a snotty emotional wreck, and still ran out before the encore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1