2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Would be highly strange to be going for an act that played at 12pm on only the second biggest stage 9 years ago.

Have they got bigger? No.

Have they somehow got younger and better? No.

Have they released something astounding since? No.

Have their songs been subject to the Kate Bush/Stranger things effect? No.

Have they become scarce and hard to see? No.

Difficult to imagine why in less than 10 years, Glastonbury’s booking team would’ve had possibly one of the biggest shifts in attitudes regarding a on old bands placement we’ve probably ever seen, propelling them from midday other to the fourth biggest act on the lineup.

I wonder if Kaiser Chiefs, who were on before them 9 years ago will get the same treatment? 

Edited by Jose Pose

I think if it were to somehow to be Blondie, it would mean they’re acknowledging they’ve painted themselves into a corner with the bookings over the past decade and they’re simply no longer sustainable at that level. It would signal the decommissioning of that slot as we know it now, and take the pressure off them going forward. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Would be highly strange to be going for an act that played at 12pm on only the second biggest stage 9 years ago.

Have they got bigger? No.

Have they somehow got younger and better? No.

Have they released something astounding since? No.

Have their songs been subject to the Kate Bush/Stranger things effect? No.

Have they become scarce and hard to see? No.

Difficult to imagine why in less than 10 years, Glastonbury’s booking team would’ve had possibly one of the biggest shifts in attitudes regarding a on old bands placement we’ve probably ever seen, propelling them from midday other to the fourth biggest act on the lineup.

I wonder if Kaiser Chiefs, who were on before them 9 years ago will get the same treatment? 

I’d argue that second last (or first? However you look at it) on the Other was a much stranger booking for an act of Blondie’s stature and heritage than legends.

Comparing one of the most iconic female singers in music history to the Kaiser Chiefs is just fucking silly.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Think they’d have to be in a real bind to have an act like Blondie step in for the Sunday legend.

Although there’s nothing to say it couldn’t happen at some point, I don’t think it’s ever been an act who’s played the festival previously, right?

Ray Davies

59 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although there’s nothing to say it couldn’t happen at some point, I don’t think it’s ever been an act who’s played the festival previously, right?

There's examples of repeats.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Ray Davies

Who not only had played before, but had done so multiple times including the literal year before.

Also Tom Jones, albeit with a much longer gap.

1 hour ago, Jose Pose said:

I think if it were to somehow to be Blondie, it would mean they’re acknowledging they’ve painted themselves into a corner with the bookings over the past decade and they’re simply no longer sustainable at that level. It would signal the decommissioning of that slot as we know it now, and take the pressure off them going forward. 

If it comes to that then it's time to throw in the towel - there's no great difference between booking someone like Blondie and some of the other heritage acts that play on El Pointo in common or garden slots - Sheryl Crow, Crowded House, Kris Kristofferson, Jackson Browne, etc

59 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I’d argue that second last (or first? However you look at it) on the Other was a much stranger booking for an act of Blondie’s stature and heritage than legends.

Comparing one of the most iconic female singers in music history to the Kaiser Chiefs is just fucking silly.

Presumably them being very ubiquitous and also a poor live act had something to do with it?

15 hours ago, AnonAnon said:

He'd be my pick, I reckon!  I saw him support Springsteen and the amount of stellar sing alongs Fogherty has written is quite astonishing.

Creedence don't seem to get much recognition in the UK but when I did a lot of travelling of the states I was really struck by how ubiquitous they are there.  They're almost like the way 'Queen' are here in some ways, or something i.e. there's usually always a radio station playing them and everyone whether they like music or not probably can hum 4 or 5 of their songs.

This is the call.

Let’s not also forget Blondie are doing IOW with the same billing as N-Dubz and The Courteeners. It would be deeply strange for Glasto to then have them on the first line of the poster/fourth headliner, unless of course the slot as we’ve know it is indeed being decommissioned: (especially when they have Robbie as well)

0522928A-922D-4C58-8D8F-3E002714396B.png

Edited by Jose Pose

9 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Let’s not also forget Blondie are doing IOW with the same billing as N-Dubz and The Courteeners. It would be deeply strange for Glasto to then have them on the first line of the poster/fourth headliner, unless of course the slot as we’ve know it is indeed being decommissioned: (especially when they have Robbie as well)

Will delight the folk who think that having a bonus fourth headliner has grown stale and are thirsting for acts like James Bay and Gabrielle instead.

• Upvote 1

Love the idea of Fogerty but personally I really don't think the legend slot will be yet another white male artist. Emily is going to get enough stick as it is about the headliner trio, think they're going to try and balance things with the legend slot.

Also yeah that doesn't mean its Blondie.

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Can't find anything but I think that, although they played early, Blondie were promoted as some form of special guest/slot. They got over an hour which is more than you would normally expect from the 2nd act on The Other.

I thought something similar but couldn't quite recall.  In fairness I quite enjoyed the Kaisers then Blondie that day.  Not a huge fan of either really, but both acts put a shift in.  Debbie Harry's voice wasn't great and I understand it's got worse, but the picnic blanket and chair brigade would probably lap it up.