2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Unless it's a complete curveball, Duran Duran is the most obvious contender IMO.  On tour throughout May next year, setlist packed with singalong bangers, charismatic front man who will interact with the crowd.  Boxes ticked really.

FWIW I'd prefer Annie Lennox/Eurythmics as I've seen the Durans before, but I'd be delighted with either.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah. That fucks it.

So - that leaves:

Duran Duran - on the road with GSH but no nearby dates this side of the pond 

Barry Manilow - on the road with GSH but no nearby dates this side of the pond 

Pulp - square peg in a round hole and probably wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

Billy Joel - BST exclusive

Rod Stewart - European tour starts two weeks later in July so could be an outside bet if he'd want to play lower down on the same bill as Elton

Roxy Music - if they've changed their minds again

Cher - no sign of activity 

Stevie Nicks - out

Spice Girls - said they're not doing it

Madonna - also wouldn't touch it with a bargepole 

Shania Twain - playing in Canada

Celine Dion - 2023 summer dates cancelled already so not on the road

Mariah Carey - doesn't seem to be on the road

Queen & Adam Lambert - not on the road and Bill Badger is not Freddie Mercury

Take That - playing Hyde Park the next week and free, but seems like there's beef there

So another portion of sausage seems likely? 

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Pulp is my bet now. Will go down a treat.

They are the one act who could do it who have the dates free and available.  Everyone else feels like a stretch.

I can't get this idea out of my head either, but then I think about a Pulp legend slot setlist with This is Hardcore blasting out for the BBC and camping chair Sunday crew and it just doesn't seem right.

Would love them as Other headliners against GNR personally.

6 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

I can't get this idea out of my head either, but then I think about a Pulp legend slot setlist with This is Hardcore blasting out for the BBC and camping chair Sunday crew and it just doesn't seem right.

Would love them as Other headliners against GNR personally.

yeah I was thinking when listening to the lyrics that the only way they get away with them now is that they were written in the 90s and Jarvis is a seemingly unthreatening type man. I'm not sure how those lyrics would be received if they were released now. I'd love it but I just don't see BBC playing those songs out like you say.

Other headliners would be amazing, as would just before Elton

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was just thinking this. For me he fits the bill. When did he last do Glastonbury, if ever?

Sorry, can see it's since been shot down. I don't think of him as being an aging rocker or in the more niche Siouxsie bracket, though. Songs like The Passenger, Wild One and Lust for Life are pretty massive. If ELO can do it, who are not exactly a household name to most, I think he can.

He's still active with new material, though, so that would make it a bit less legendy.

19 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Mel B was on a US chat show yesterday (I think) and confirmed Spice Girls reunion news would be coming very soon. Timely for a Glasto announcement, don't you think?

I'd assume they'd do a reunion for money rather than glastonbury - if they reunion goes well and they can stomach each other long enough then that might make 2024 an option.  Happily be wrong, but it'd mean them reforming and organising dates, trying to sell those while at the same time a lot of the noise being about them performing glastonbury as well.  If they're confident of instantly selling out whatever their tour would be (great chance of that), then maybe they'd do glastonbury for a laugh as well.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah I was thinking when listening to the lyrics that the only way they get away with them now is that they were written in the 90s and Jarvis is a seemingly unthreatening type man. I'm not sure how those lyrics would be received if they were released now. I'd love it but I just don't see BBC playing those songs out like you say.

Other headliners would be amazing, as would just before Elton

they are tame compared to Megan the Stallion and Cardi B.

I agree Pulp is not wholesome enough for the legend slot though

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Was just thinking this. For me he fits the bill. When did he last do Glastonbury, if ever?

2007, I don't think it's been properly shot down has it? He only has to be in Germany the next day if he got this slot. 

I reckon anyone saying Pulp or Duran Duran should consider him as a potential. The Stooges are absolutely mid-afternoon Radio 2 at this point. The dude's 75 years old. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Sorry, can see it's since been shot down. I don't think of him as being an aging rocker or in the more niche Siouxsie bracket, though. Songs like The Passenger, Wild One and Lust for Life are pretty massive. If ELO can do it, who are not exactly a household name to most, I think he can.

He's still active with new material, though, so that would make it a bit less legendy.

Personally I could see him doing this and I think that, as you say, he actually has more well known songs than some of the other acts who have done it recently. I guess that the prevailing wisdom will be that he isn't "End of the Pier" enough for this slot (same for Pulp). I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the festival had looked at changing the focus for this slot though as the options must be wearing thin now. 

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

I'd assume they'd do a reunion for money rather than glastonbury - if they reunion goes well and they can stomach each other long enough then that might make 2024 an option.  Happily be wrong, but it'd mean them reforming and organising dates, trying to sell those while at the same time a lot of the noise being about them performing glastonbury as well.  If they're confident of instantly selling out whatever their tour would be (great chance of that), then maybe they'd do glastonbury for a laugh as well.

I would argue that a Glastonbury performance is the perfect springboard to a huge tour due to the exposure the performance would get on the BBC - just like Kylie's did?

2 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

2007, I don't think it's been properly shot down has it? He only has to be in Germany the next day if he got this slot. 

I reckon anyone saying Pulp or Duran Duran should consider him as a potential. The Stooges are absolutely mid-afternoon Radio 2 at this point. The dude's 75 years old. 

Nah not shot down in terms of it not happening, just people saying he doesn't fit.

I agree with you. Let's start a campaign!

2 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Personally I could see him doing this and I think that, as you say, he actually has more well known songs than some of the other acts who have done it recently. I guess that the prevailing wisdom will be that he isn't "End of the Pier" enough for this slot (same for Pulp). I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the festival had looked at changing the focus for this slot though as the options must be wearing thin now. 

Yeah I think the focus has to change at some point. There are only so many Kylie/Dolly/Lionel/Diana acts out there.