2023 legend slot

ProperTea

Just now, Superscally said:

Kenny Rogers was vocally disappointed with the muted response to Ruby at the time. On stage.

While this is true it could well have been a bit.

But Kenny also turned on the 'charismatic entertainer' switch and walked away triumphant, albeit on a smaller scale than yer Lionels and so on.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Conversely I think ELO absolutely do have the hits (15 UK top 10s), but through sheer force of personality were not able to carry the slot!

I and my mates really enjoyed elo . I used to be fascinated with the double album my dad had with the big space ship 🤣 . They sounded brilliant, the strings were brilliant, backing singers brilliant, guitars brilliant, keys brilliant and the songs are great..... They've been around for ever and have seen it all so they're not gonna suddenly become fake and hype up the crowd just because it Glastonbury.....does my head in when bands start acting all fake saying shit like " omg best crowd ever, Glastonburrrryyyyyy" and then next week they say all the the same things - insert where ever they all playing 🤣🤣

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I and my mates really enjoyed elo . I used to be fascinated with the double album my dad had with the big space ship 🤣 . They sounded brilliant, the strings were brilliant, backing singers brilliant, guitars brilliant, keys brilliant and the songs are great..... They've been around for ever and have seen it all so they're not gonna suddenly become fake and hype up the crowd just because it Glastonbury.....does my head in when bands start acting all fake saying shit like " omg best crowd ever, Glastonburrrryyyyyy" and then next week they say all the the same things - insert where ever they all playing 🤣🤣

"into the blue" I think it was called, I liked it too and enjoyed the set

3 minutes ago, clarkete said:

"into the blue" I think it was called, I liked it too and enjoyed the set

Just googled it and it was called" Out of the blue ", wish I'd kept all my dad's vinyls but when he switched to cd he just binned everything along with my technical lego🤣

4 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Just googled it and it was called" Out of the blue ", wish I'd kept all my dad's vinyls but when he switched to cd he just binned everything along with my technical lego🤣

That's horrific.  Just reading it made me WTF out loud.

31 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Still got my copy with a tattered sleeve in the loft with all my other 70s heavy, prog rock vinyls. Only my Bowie, Led Zep and a few other vinyls are allowed downstairs!😉.  The technical lego destruction is sacrilege 

• Upvote 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:07 PM, DeanoL said:

Since when though? I'm 39 and I know The Beatles. I wasn't a fan, wasn't particularly into them, but could still sing you ten of their songs...

*My* generation of bands, as an oldie, is the bloody Arctic Monkeys, yet no one is saying they won't play because the kids don't care about them.

Are teenagers / early 20-somethings now more likely to know AM than The Beatles? Legit question, could indeed be the case, but I'd bet on it being the other way around.

My Glasto going niece is 15 and her favourite band is Arctic Monkeys. Having said that my brother has taken her to both gigs and Glasto from a young age so I suspect she isn't typical

1 hour ago, gazzared said:

Yes good point. 

A lot of folks got rid of reel to reel, 8 track, vinyl, tape, etc as alternatives came along. I gave away some 60s and 70s vinyl (Beatles etc)  to a pal when I had nowt to play it on and it was simply in the loft. 

For the Lego what's the context - were you still a kid at home?  Obviously if you were thirty and had your own pad I'd feel different 😉

14 minutes ago, august1 said:

I feel like Elton is going to overshadow this years legend with the fancy dress and expectations building up like Macca/Stones

Unless it’s the spice girls… then I reckon the union jacks and baby’s pigtails with give reg’s specs a run for their money! 

Hear me out, Roxy could have been booked for the legends slot provisionally. But with a booking like Elton… everything could have changed when he signed to play, acts that previously would have turned up their nose to play the 3 slots before May have been swayed to support him on his last ever U.K. show. Elton is big friends with the Beckhams, I think spice girls could be on

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rascalpete said:

Hear me out, Roxy could have been booked for the legends slot provisionally. But with a booking like Elton… everything could have changed when he signed to play, acts that previously would have turned up their nose to play the 3 slots before May have been swayed to support him on his last ever U.K. show. Elton is big friends with the Beckhams, I think spice girls could be on

Fucking hope not.

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Yes good point. 

A lot of folks got rid of reel to reel, 8 track, vinyl, tape, etc as alternatives came along. I gave away some 60s and 70s vinyl (Beatles etc)  to a pal when I had nowt to play it on and it was simply in the loft. 

For the Lego what's the context - were you still a kid at home?  Obviously if you were thirty and had your own pad I'd feel different 😉

I was 23 haha but it would've been great to keep it all and to then play with when my daughter was at the Lego age ....he just binned boxes and boxes of the stuff along with all my infant & junior school books... My mum was fuming 🤣

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

if its them they need to work on their announcement technique 

Agree. That’s my main sticking point. I’d absolutely love them to but surely they would have been firmly told to keep it shtum? 

I honestly don't care. Out of the 100 or so stages the Pyramid would be the last place I'd be for Spice Girls and quite a few others to be fair.

But to get upset about headlining acts is pointless. It's quite simple if you don't like them go and indulge elsewhere!

I think I only watched 3 sets this year on the Pyramid and really only watched Noel G to be in situ for Macca. 

When Diana Ross was on who my missus watched I was loving a barrier spec in a very quiet as acoustic tent for Damien Dempsey followed by Glen Tilbrook.

So much to see and do. 

5 hours ago, gazzared said:

I was 23 haha but it would've been great to keep it all and to then play with when my daughter was at the Lego age ....he just binned boxes and boxes of the stuff along with all my infant & junior school books... My mum was fuming 🤣

Yeah, not giving either of you a shout is pretty harsh. Some folks have a somewhat detached approach to stuff.

I'm the other end of the scale and am way too emotionally attached to things. 

19 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I don’t think you can pigeonhole the Legends slot too much because by the very nature of the meaning of legend there aren’t a lot of them around and therefore it would be difficult for it to be filled with a true legend every year. 

Just my humble opinion.

I was pretty up for Roxy Music tbf.

I fully agree with this. It has to be more versatile than a Dolly or Diana every year. 

Was looking forward to Roxy too tbh.

• Upvote 1