2023 legend slot

ProperTea

17 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In fairness, Human League could probably smash a Holts or Other headline spot. Got the catalogue without doubt.

They are headlining isle of wight's second stage - think even WH is a bit big in comparison to that

16 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Sting also toured with Peter Gabriel in 2016 I think. A Peter Gabriel, Mark Knopfler, Sting mash up would be superb.

But it’s going to be Roxy Music. Which is ok.

Ah Peter Gabriel. He will be touring for sure next year with a new album. Probably arena's i think...

15 minutes ago, wc23 said:

Have to say I find Roxy a baffling choice. The legends slot has always had a strong cross-generational appeal. I'm not really getting there from this.

I honestly think it's an inspired booking if correct.  They were absolute pioneers in the late 70's and had massive commercial success, albeit over a relatively short career.  I'm 47 and so was a toddler at the time but their legacy loomed pretty large in my life so they maybe have a broader appeal than you think?

I also recall the absolute furore on here when Stevie Wonder was announced as a headliner and got much the same reaction.  Was an unbelievable headline show and blew most people away.  In my top 3 gigs of all time.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been to every legend slot since 2013, just part of the broken/hungover  festival tradition for me (although I left after DR murdered 3 songs this year and went to see Fontaines) but I just can’t see me going to Roxy or it getting the big tv audience that slot now commands. Don’t doubt it’s happening just don’t think it’s a great choice  

19 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I honestly think it's an inspired booking if correct.  They were absolute pioneers in the late 70's and had massive commercial success, albeit over a relatively short career.  I'm 47 and so was a toddler at the time but their legacy loomed pretty large in my life so they maybe have a broader appeal than you think?

I also recall the absolute furore on here when Stevie Wonder was announced as a headliner and got much the same reaction.  Was an unbelievable headline show and blew most people away.  In my top 3 gigs of all time.

All good points, fair enough.

Still not sure they have the mass appeal of Chic, Kylie or Diana Ross for example but thats just me.

Personally I'd rather NOT have Roxy as the 'legend' but it means I don't have to cram myself into the Pyramid stage field at that time to see them if they ARE the legend. Not really my thing at all.

Last legend slot I saw was ELO in 2016 I think and they were decent(ish) but the whole thing felt really flat. I've had mixed views on the 'legends' in the Glasto's I've been to anyway, but this time if it's Roxy I won't have to worry!

On 11/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

That's what we've been accustomed to, but maybe there's only so many cheesy pop acts they can get matching the same quality of recent festivals.

Sugababes would have absolutely owned the legend slot. They were a baffling booking this year - almost caused serious crowd crush issues at Williams Green.

I don't think Emily or the bookers understand the appeal of 90s/00s pop yet. You have whole festivals of this stuff selling 25k tickets in London very easily.

40 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Stevie Wonder is heard at literally every single wedding I've ever been to. Roxy Music isn't. They don't have anything anywhere even close to his depth of library and cultural resonance. 

Everybody knows the words to signed, sealed, delivered - regardless of age.

5 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Sugababes would have absolutely owned the legend slot. They were a baffling booking this year - almost caused serious crowd crush issues at Williams Green.

I don't think Emily or the bookers understand the appeal of 90s/00s pop yet. You have whole festivals of this stuff selling 25k tickets in London very easily.

Firmly convinced they'll be back in 2023, maybe on the Pyramid in the slot Craig David played in 2017 to a mahoosive crowd

3 minutes ago, OBface said:

I have info on who's lined up for the slot that I can't divulge. Which I get is super annoying.

They haven't been mentioned on here thus far and would have huge crowd appeal whilst pissing off swathes of the festival old guard. 

It's Take That isn't it.