2023 legend slot

ProperTea

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

She's got a few signature songs - but that doesn't mean she wrote them.  Sinatra didn't write My Way either.

I think you’ve lured us down the alley of them having had to have written their own songs, I never said that was the case, just responded to your comment about god like song writing genius, which I never suggested.

10 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Right act is subjective though, which is my whole point. If the festival don’t book them they’re not stupid or toxic, they just have a different definition or idea of what a legend slot booking looks like. If the definition of legend is now - has some song along hits and will draw an enormous crowd, then that brings at least 50 previously unconsidered acts into the frame.

Sure. It's all hypothetical until they do or don't book them.

But I'd say the slot certainly favours acts who're household names and that have a catalogue of widely-recognised songs that act as nostalgic triggers.  It's why Cher would be a better booking than someone like Richard Thomson.  He doesn't command the same affection.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

will be roxy, i've heard its them, and they're a favourite of Michael's.

michael was apparently behind the booking of bryan ferry for west holts a few years ago.

He loves a bit of 70s art rock, the velvet sound  of Andy  Mackays sax wafting over the sun drenched pyramid field, Phil Manzaneras guitar riffs complementing the unique vocals of Bryan Ferry. If it pleases ME then that’s ok with me😉😊.  

Yep the slot isn't really about innovators or great artists (that's not to say none of the people who have done the slot are or are not those things) but it has now become rightly or wrongly the cheesy sing along slot. In that respect I think many people would see Roxy Music as an underwhelming one. It could be that the festival have seen the slot become too big and are deliberately trying to change how that slot is seen. 

8 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Oh do tell us these 50+ acts that have been unconsidered for the legend slot?

That’s not what I said is it. I said if the criteria is now - has some poppy hits and will draw an enormous crowd, it now opens the slot up to another 50 odd acts.

Edited by Jose Pose

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep the slot isn't really about innovators or great artists (that's not to say none of the people who have done the slot are or are not those things) but it has now become rightly or wrongly the cheesy sing along slot. In that respect I think many people would see Roxy Music as an underwhelming one. It could be that the festival have seen the slot become too big and are deliberately trying to change how that slot is seen. 

That’s my theory. They’ve gone so far in that direction and want a bit of change before that slot becomes the definition image of the festival in the public consciousness. That or Michael really just wants to book Roxy Music. 

Edited by sadimmock

Just now, sadimmock said:

That’s my theory. They’ve gone so far direction and want a bit of change before that slot becomes the definition image of the festival in the public consciousness. That or Michael really just wants to book Roxy Music. 

If you go back over a decade they would have been an ok booking I reckon before the slot became the monster it has become. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

weren't you one of those wanting gnr? theyd go down worse than roxy might.

Don't think so, I don't think its an awful booking but i'd not be there.

Only looks like i'd be at AM currently and thats very clash dependent. Feel like everyone has seen AM at this point, may hurt their crowd quite a lot especially with that huge stadium tour before glasto.

52 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree they’ve not got as deep a bench of tunes as Kylie - but the big songs are bloody enormous.

Spice up your life when blossoms and Mel c did it this year went off in the crowd, anyone who says that spice girls wouldn’t draw a massive crowd needs to give their head a wobble 

Edited by tigger123

33 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

It could be that the festival have seen the slot become too big and are deliberately trying to change how that slot is seen. 

26 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

That’s my theory. They’ve gone so far in that direction and want a bit of change before that slot becomes the definition image of the festival in the public consciousness. That or Michael really just wants to book Roxy Music. 

That would be in complete contrast to pitching the slot as the 4th headliner and giving the artist a space on the top row of the line up poster. 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

if Michael wanted Roxy Music surely there would be plenty of other slots to place them ... just cant see it myself 

Agree... I really don't think it will be Roxy.  Especially this year, when they'll be aiming to make the line up as heavy as possible due to the ticket price!  It would look like a pound shop legend slot booking. 

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

That would be in complete contrast to pitching the slot as the 4th headliner and giving the artist a space on the top row of the line up poster. 

This is a great point. They have very much played up to the reputation the slot has now. Roxy Music would be a very big uturn on this in comparison.