Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is what I do. My flag is collapsable and is nicely unobtrusive the majority of the time. It also tucks into a pocket so my hands are free to carry beers. 

If you’re unlucky enough to be stood behind me then my flag is going to be the least of your worries. I rarely go to the front of crowds, usually either just in front of the crush barrier or sound stage. I get a lot of complaints from people stood behind me, I do offer my shoulders though for the less leggy people if they are struggling to see. 

The only time I have gone to the front with my flag was for the Kaiser Chiefs so I can’t imagine many complaints about people missing the view for that.

How tall are you Squirrel? 

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah but I can imagine at least some of them, or the super rich lot, going "I don't really want to stay off site, I want to be in the thick of everything. But not with everyone else". Hence the camping inside the site that's walled off to others. I'm just guessing, just sounds like the most likely explanation to me. 

For some acts they have no chance - highly billed acts just could not go in normal camping they'd get swamped by fans etc / so just want the privacy.

6 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Not sure why people don't take collapsible flag poles. One of my mates always takes a flag. Holds it up whilst he's waiting for gigs to start, makes it really easy to find him. The second the bands starts he takes the flag down and puts it in his bag. If someone in our group goes away for a piss or to get pints it will go back up till they return then he'll put it away again. Occasionally a random person in the crowd will ask if you can put the flag up for ten minutes till my friends find me which we'll always oblige and is a nice way to meet new people.

Really feel like if everyone had the same attitude you would get the benefits of both worlds.

It's because most people aren't taking flags so their mates can find them, they're taking them so they can point and go "that's me" on TV. So has to be done while the bands are on.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DeanoL said:

It's because most people aren't taking flags so their mates can find them, they're taking them so they can point and go "that's me" on TV. So has to be done while the bands are on.

No up votes.. 

Completely true 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not completely true.  Some people take flags to make political points.  Expect nuff Ukrainian flags at G22 

Not that many. This year might be different, but there's not much political heft behind Linekar shags crisps or the I love sausage guy.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a mix innit. Fot every I Love Sausage there's a Ritzy Living Wage.

It'll be interesting (ish) to keep a semi-running tally. If I remember.

But my gut feel is nope. I'd say for every 10 nonsense flags there's one with a message, and that's being generous. Definitely not a one to one ratio 😄

4 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Camp Kerala also have a helipad - or at least they used to.

On the Windinglake Helipad, because of that farms close proximity to the medical centre, is having an adjacent pad nearby part of the license agreement incase an urgent medical evacuation is needed?

If an area needs to be reserved and suitable for emergencies then it’s not really an issue using that pad for commercial reasons. 

19 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Completely disagree with the bit I bolded. If your further back at night the stage is almost completely obscured by the flags of people in front of the barrier. The closer a flag is to the stage the more it blocks out for those behind it. Someone in the middle of the crowd with a flag is ruining the view of 4 or 5 people. Someone at the front with a flag is ruining the view of thousands of people.

Not sure why people don't take collapsible flag poles. One of my mates always takes a flag. Holds it up whilst he's waiting for gigs to start, makes it really easy to find him. The second the bands starts he takes the flag down and puts it in his bag. If someone in our group goes away for a piss or to get pints it will go back up till they return then he'll put it away again. Occasionally a random person in the crowd will ask if you can put the flag up for ten minutes till my friends find me which we'll always oblige and is a nice way to meet new people.

Really feel like if everyone had the same attitude you would get the benefits of both worlds.

I’m 6’7 and I’ve been used as a meeting point in a club/ crowd/ festival before.

Stephen Merchant does a bit on it in one of his stand ups, you think it’s great all these attractive girls are dancing around you until you realise you’re essentially a landmark 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's not completely true.  Some people take flags to make political points.  Expect nuff Ukrainian flags at G22 

The only reason it's a good opportunity to make a political point is because they know it'll be on TV. If the cameras weren't there there'd be significantly less political flags.

Edited by Leyrulion

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The only reason it's a good opportunity to make a political point is because they know it'll be on TV. If the cameras weren't there there'd be significantly less political flags.

While I don't disagree, that's still different to saying people do it wholly to spot themselves on telly.  Expressing solidarity isn't a selfish act. 

Edit: Or if people think it is that's more about their own cynicism.  I'd cite all the Palestinian flags at Radiohead and the Tibetan flags at the Dalai Lama as examples of more than just "Look at me!" flagwaving.

Edited by CaledonianGonzo
  • Thanks 1

This is kind of off topic, but is to do with flags. In the 198o's at England matches abroad, if you looked at the crowd there would always be a Barret's of Feckenham flag. Yellow with black writing, I think. Barretts was a sports warehouse place, which had a flag outside it main office in Feckenham. Well it used to have a flag outside - up until the point where somebody would nick the flag. Next time it was to be seen would be in the crowd at an England match abroad. Didn't matter where abroad, that flag would be there.

PS - I don't follow football. Let that be known.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:16 PM, DeanoL said:

Likewise if a group set up at the Pyramid field early in the day on a picnic blanket, at a point where for the first few acts it's totally reasonable, its easy to get lost in talking to mates, drinking, and not realising that actually you're sat in the middle of a much bigger crowd. It's not okay for them to get entitled about that space but it's also possibly they're just not really aware. Should they be more self aware? Maybe. But it's a bloody festival, how self aware are you at 3am in the naughty corner? 

Fine post.

In connection with the above segment - I have been ran into these 'blobs' of picnic blanket dwellers on a few occasions when it was quite clear that they knew the position ie. that they were surrounded by legs, and could see no more than that and the sky above them. It must have been obvious to them that that was their position, way before I (and my mates) even arrived at that point of ' No Entry'. And I have gone into one where it's very evident that they ( the picnic people) were being moody with the crowd surrounding them. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Fine post.

In connection with the above segment - I have been ran into these 'blobs' of picnic blanket dwellers on a few occasions when it was quite clear that they knew the position ie. that they were surrounded by legs, and could see no more than that and the sky above them. It must have been obvious to them that that was their position, way before I (and my mates) even arrived at that point of ' No Entry'. And I have gone into one where it's very evident that they ( the picnic people) were being moody with the crowd surrounding them. 

I've just realised that my attendance at Glastonbury is somewhat dated, and I am going on memory of it happening. it may be that all those experiences were way, way back. Can't recall.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've just realised that my attendance at Glastonbury is somewhat dated, and I am going on memory of it happening. it may be that all those experiences were way, way back. Can't recall.

Everyone’s Glastonbury attendance now is somewhat dated 😞 

This pic is nicked from face ache but thought it funny... This is the view FROM the pyramid stage looking out... 

So the band are thinking..

Get rid of those phones and listen to the music

whist we're looking at the stage going get rid of the flags so we film the music lol

275843535_10159600498319373_6944507118448967669_n.jpg

5 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

This pic is nicked from face ache but thought it funny... This is the view FROM the pyramid stage looking out... 

So the band are thinking..

Get rid of those phones and listen to the music

whist we're looking at the stage going get rid of the flags so we film the music lol

275843535_10159600498319373_6944507118448967669_n.jpg

That looks to me like whoever is on stage has asked for all those phones in the air.

• Upvote 2