Ban flags in front of the stages

guypjfreak

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

We had a bit of an incident just before Arctic Monkeys in 2013.

There was about 20 of us stood together waiting for them to come on and a mate of ours who'd been in a different part of the site watching something else was struggling to find us in the crowd. So I spoke to him on the phone told him to get by an ice cream van we could both see and I would collect him, all worked fine but by the time we got back to our crowd AM were due on within about 2-3 minutes so the crowd had swelled.

We weaved our way through everyone and then finally just about got to our crowd and this group of people (who sounded like they were from Yorkshire) had in the meantime since i had gone to collect our mate stood behind our crowd, I tapped one guy on the shoulder asking if we could get through and he told me to 'fuck off mate, I'm not moving anymore for anyone' and I think he was trying to protect his good view, I tried to explain that our group were stood in front of him but he and his two mates then deliberately made a human shield so we couldn't pass and when I tried to go round them they kept moving in front of us.

Eventually my mate got pissed off with it and pushed me very hard into them and the guy who had sworn at me then swung at me shouting because we had knocked his cool box and stood on his girlfriends blanket.

We then both had to stand at the front of our group away from them for the entire set as he continued to give verbal's during the set despite people from both parties trying to calm him down.

Ridiculous. 

In fairness your mate sounds like the biggest arsehole in this whole situation.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Needs a Twix... or to be precise, four.

I thought the rows of Eavis heads were twixes for a second ffs.

31 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Missed a trick by not having an upside down dab

I also wondered if the yoghurt on a stick was something called a dab and he’d put it upside down.

27 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

Most festivals have done this, so it's not just a whinge. Bring them to your campsite but not the stages. Stopping people from being able to see anything is just selfish... isn't it? 

I'm not usually in the "moan brigade" but I stand 100% behind this one. 

Depends if you want Glastonbury to become the same as 'most festivals'.

Most festivals have an arena and a campsite.  Most festivals have stage sponsorship.   Most festivals don't let you walk around drinking your own booze for 5 days. 

Most festivals aren't as good. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I think you should have to stay in exactly the same position all day if you have a flag.

Does my t*ts in when you're explaining where you're stood using the flag as a reference point then Mr "Gary Linekar shags crisps" toddles off to another stage.

I jest.

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

We had a bit of an incident just before Arctic Monkeys in 2013.

There was about 20 of us stood together waiting for them to come on and a mate of ours who'd been in a different part of the site watching something else was struggling to find us in the crowd. So I spoke to him on the phone told him to get by an ice cream van we could both see and I would collect him, all worked fine but by the time we got back to our crowd AM were due on within about 2-3 minutes so the crowd had swelled.

We weaved our way through everyone and then finally just about got to our crowd and this group of people (who sounded like they were from Yorkshire) had in the meantime since i had gone to collect our mate stood behind our crowd, I tapped one guy on the shoulder asking if we could get through and he told me to 'fuck off mate, I'm not moving anymore for anyone' and I think he was trying to protect his good view, I tried to explain that our group were stood in front of him but he and his two mates then deliberately made a human shield so we couldn't pass and when I tried to go round them they kept moving in front of us.

Eventually my mate got pissed off with it and pushed me very hard into them and the guy who had sworn at me then swung at me shouting because we had knocked his cool box and stood on his girlfriends blanket.

We then both had to stand at the front of our group away from them for the entire set as he continued to give verbal's during the set despite people from both parties trying to calm him down.

Ridiculous. 

Should have chinned the prick

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Your post was going so well untill this ?!! 

A bit strong? Maybe. An obviously over the top, but topical and funny,comparison I thought. I may have misjudged a bit.

Please tell me you don't fence off your campsite though. It makes me go off on a rant.

I don't mean just camp in a circle, but actually put up barriers in an attempt to stop people passing through. Usually done by tying guy ropes to a neighbouring tent. Which is a huge garrotting hazard. It's getting more prevalent imo. They're supposed to be pegged into the ground as close to your tent as possible. That is how tents work.

I swear I was left with only one feasible route to and from my tent the last time I went as a punter. Having to head uphill to get out when everything was downhill. There will come a year when I find myself just completely fenced in (or out) I'm sure. The scissors will have to come out then.

This isn't helped of course by the festival allowing more people in each year while simultaneously reducing the ground for public camping in the popular spots. Huge areas now properly fenced off, inevitably containing just a camper van and a couple of tents (looking at you the bottom of Pennards/lots of spots along The Railway Line). Who are these people? What are they doing? Why is what they're doing deemed worthy of so much personal camping space? When I volunteer there we get possibly the noisiest, boggiest, cramped, outside the fence camping going I think.

I'm getting my whining out of the way early this year.

And nobody's mentioned gazebos so big that you could fit three normal sized tents under them yet...

2 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

A bit strong? Maybe. An obviously over the top, but topical and funny,comparison I thought. I may have misjudged a bit.

Please tell me you don't fence off your campsite though. It makes me go off on a rant.

I don't mean just camp in a circle, but actually put up barriers in an attempt to stop people passing through. Usually done by tying guy ropes to a neighbouring tent. Which is a huge garrotting hazard. It's getting more prevalent imo. They're supposed to be pegged into the ground as close to your tent as possible. That is how tents work.

I swear I was left with only one feasible route to and from my tent the last time I went as a punter. Having to head uphill to get out when everything was downhill. There will come a year when I find myself just completely fenced in (or out) I'm sure. The scissors will have to come out then.

This isn't helped of course by the festival allowing more people in each year while simultaneously reducing the ground for public camping in the popular spots. Huge areas now properly fenced off, inevitably containing just a camper van and a couple of tents (looking at you the bottom of Pennards/lots of spots along The Railway Line). Who are these people? What are they doing? Why is what they're doing deemed worthy of so much personal camping space? When I volunteer there we get possibly the noisiest, boggiest, cramped, outside the fence camping going I think.

I'm getting my whining out of the way early this year.

And nobody's mentioned gazebos so big that you could fit three normal sized tents under them yet...

No no no it pisses me off too and I’m quite happy to chop some of the tape in passing … just the comparison with putin was a little strong 🙂 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

No no no it pisses me off too and I’m quite happy to chop some of the tape in passing … just the comparison with putin was a little strong 🙂 

They're annexing land and potentially garotting people... 

;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Huge areas now properly fenced off, inevitably containing just a camper van and a couple of tents (looking at you the bottom of Pennards/lots of spots along The Railway Line). Who are these people? What are they doing? Why is what they're doing deemed worthy of so much personal camping space? 

The big fenced off bit with posh loos is Avalon/Glade crew camping I think. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:49 AM, chazwwe said:

The only times I've ever had an issue with it is when its either A. Blocking the screens. Which putting a ban on in the front area wouldn't stop and B. When I'm stood next to 2-3 of them during a headline set in the front barrier, thats the worst. 

I'd say a ban on blankets/chairs in the front barrier would be the easiest option to do, it helps movement and stops crushe Eg, people not being able to walk even NEAR people with blankets and having to stop and then walk around them does nothign for the flow of movement when people are trying to get in and out. 

During Kylie we were on the left of the sound desk and a lady had set up a large picnic blanket(4 people could sit on it easily), with a bag of booze, sat down on it with shoes off waiting for people to come. They never arrived and she kept sat on the blanket the whole set looking miserable, checking her phone, the only time she got up was when a guy came out of the sound desk area and into the crowd and accidently stood on her blanket, so she stood up and started shouting at him. Why are you even at the festival if that's your attitude. 

During Kylie over where we were, a woman had what looked like a 3 month old baby, which she lay down on a blanket at her feet. It was so packed people kept working their way through to what looked like a bit of space, only to do a last minute bit of braking and balancing, trying not to land on and squash a baby. It's giving me anxiety just thinking of it 3 years later, but she didn't seem to notice this happening.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:25 PM, gooner1990 said:

I’d prefer them to ban camping chairs being used in front of stages first.

irritate the hell out of me.

Yes god damn it, how dare people want to sit down. 

ban them from in front of the surge barrier but nowhere else.

Pyramid field etiquette

Flags add to the atmosphere and spectacle as long as they are on long enough poles, folding camp chairs are ok as long as they are not near the front or used to mark out a huge space when a main act is on. Picnic rugs are fine but not when the field is rammed, same goes for those bloody inflatable loungers that have appeared over the last few festivals. 
sneaking out a steaming piss on a field is totally unacceptable, if you can’t hold it, don’t stray too far from the longdrops.
And pick up litter and cans, causes all sorts of problems leaving the field in the dark. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4