Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Last week I saw Joy Oladokun at The Blues Kitchen in Manchester. First time at this venue and it’s a nice little addition to Manchester. 
I have been a fan of Joy since I first saw her Tiny Desk at home concert during the pandemic. First time seeing her live and was lovely. She weaved lots of little covers through her own material like The Drugs Don’t Work and Hallelujah but her own material is truly lovely in its own right. She apologised for being by herself but travelling from the US for artists at this level is tough. Would love to see her get a bit more success and see her do a full band show. She’s a great lyricist. Sort of a more introverted stoner Tracy Chapman.  

IMG_5752.jpeg

IMG_5754.jpeg

RAYE at newcastle tonight 

Can honestly say she’s the best vocalist I’ve heard live in a long time 

Her music has it all , soul, jazz, funk, disco and rap 

It’s clear why she’s already winning awards 

Fair play to her, she’s obviously been through the mill, but it’s pushing her in the right direction (even if it was a rescheduled December gig) 

Edited by Traci

8 hours ago, Traci said:

RAYE at newcastle tonight 

Can honestly say she’s the best vocalist I’ve heard live in a long time 

Her music has it all , soul, jazz, funk, disco and rap 

It’s clear why she’s already winning awards 

Fair play to her, she’s obviously been through the mill, but it’s pushing her in the right direction (even if it was a rescheduled December gig) 

Lucky you. My biggest Glastonbury regret last year was missing her because I assumed I'd easily pick up tickets when she toured Manchester only to find out it was already sold out and even on Twickets I think bots just pick them up as even when I got alerts when the phone was in my hand they were already gone by the time I tried to buy them.

Echo & the Bunnymen tonight at Gloucester Guildhall. 8th time I've seen them & it will definitely be the last! Played for 25 minutes, then f**ked off for 20 minutes. Eventually came back on & Mac mumbled incoherently for 5 minutes between each song. When they actually played they were alright. Shame as they used to be one of the best live bands around. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2024 at 11:13 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Went to see Rick Astley last night, ok MrsC wanted to go(honestly) , he was really good, never takes himself too seriously but can hold a tune.  And good support acts from BelindaCarlisle and the Lottery Winners. 

Saw him in Leeds the other week. Boasting a shorter show these days, at ninety minutes with varied interludes for his backing vocalists - could absolutely go without the Juice and Good Times segments - but it is a delight to see him still so clearly enjoying himself. It was an arena sell-out too - to the rafters. Not sure many other eighties pop artists have pulled that off after a prolonged period of commercial absence. (Your Depeche Modes and Kylie Minogues have always been around the mark.)

One who was a pleasant surprise - Mother Mother. I haven't really tweaked the hype on record among the TikTok generation, but years of slogging around the Canadian wilderness has definitely given them a very slick show to boast live. Nice harmonies, impressively meaty amplification for hooks less prevalent on LPs. Tidy stuff.

I saw Pendulum last Saturday at Outernet in the West End. My first time seeing them since their reunion, and sadly they're mostly a bad emo rock band these days. But the few oldies they did play ("Blood Sugar", "Tarantula", "Voodoo People",  even "Propane Nightmares") still go down a treat.

Given that he plays an awful lot of music, featured an incredible guest vocalist and played far more types of instrument than any other gig I've seen, I went to see the magnificent Bill Bailey in Liverpool last Saturday. 

I think it's at least the 6th tour I've seen him on, was the biggest venue but was fabulous, even did a little bagpipe tribute to Sean Lock at the end and pretty much only left the stage as the crowd were responding to his urges to go home 😊

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/reviews/bbc-strictlys-bill-bailey-tells-28743861

20240302_210132.jpg

20240302_212352.jpg

20240302_221827.jpg

20240302_222057.jpg

Edited by clarkete
  • Like 2

I don't normally bother posting in here (despite attending lots of gigs) but just wow from last night.  6 Music Festival at Victoria Warehouse.  Sherelle and Hak Baker and then Young Fathers supported by these folk on the eve of International Women's day.

https://www.theuntoldorchestra.com/nia-choir

It was such an incredible and moving few hours.  It felt spiritual.  I am going to stick my neck out and say it outshone their West Holts performance last year for sheer "neck mohicans"

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I don't normally bother posting in here (despite attending lots of gigs) but just wow from last night.  6 Music Festival at Victoria Warehouse.  Sherelle and Hak Baker and then Young Fathers supported by these folk on the eve of International Women's day.

https://www.theuntoldorchestra.com/nia-choir

It was such an incredible and moving few hours.  It felt spiritual.  I am going to stick my neck out and say it outshone their West Holts performance last year for sheer "neck mohicans"

If I recall correctly the esteemed @gigpusher of this parish was also there and was very happy

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

If I recall correctly the esteemed @gigpusher of this parish was also there and was very happy

Yes and @noplacelikehomeit was a wonderful night. Think Young Fathers are up there for best live act around at the moment. 

It’s weird because if someone described their act to you, the fact they don’t have one frontman etc you’d think maybe it wouldn’t work but their energy is incredible and they really no how to create an atmosphere. I was surprised at how big a part the choir played as well. I expected that they’d be on for a song or 2 at most but they added to the atmosphere. 

IMG_5828.jpeg

Pixies (yet again)…Olympia, Dublin. Bossanova and Trompe le Monde. Always assumed Bossanova was my favourite of the two (it does have hang wire on it!), but hearing Trompe le Monde live for the first time in full was spectacular! Never toured it back in the ‘90’s, but finally got to hear Alec Eiffel live (despite seeing them god knows how many times since they came back). New Kim vocally is closest to Kim Deal yet (though I thought Paz was a great addition to the band). Highly recommended if you get the chance to see them on this run. Would blow a hole in the farm if they turn up! 

edit: Chattiest Charles ever too, even gave a brief description of each album! IMG_1742.thumb.jpeg.235b73b54977589eed1294bd2b5dc68d.jpeg

Edited by Toilet Duck