Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

I am sure they tried to get The Prodigy a few years ago - 2018 I think - for Lion's Den.

My understanding is that they were actually booked for 2019, before the untimely passing of Keith changed the plan.

39 minutes ago, Sku said:

My understanding is that they were actually booked for 2019, before the untimely passing of Keith changed the plan.

They were booked until a festival in London kicked up a stink and demanded they were an exclusive, so the Boomtown booking didn't happen.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

So what you're saying is the new lineup policy moves them to a strong rumour....

Depends on where The Prodigy are also playing on the tour. BT tried to keep the booking as a "special guest" that wouldn't be announced last time, but that wasn't allowed either.

Mandidextrous has just self confirmed on her latest tour dates.

Hardly surprising, given the fact she produces a lot of the music for the opening/closing ceremonies, but it's good to have a self confirmation at long last!

Edited by mr flow
spelling mistake
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Lak just put a vid up on his FB page. BT having a birch of a time. Due to infrastructure companies selling off stock during covid and material prices rocketing, most quotes coming in at 30%up compared to two years ago. Almost all tickets rolled over so their overall budget is unchanged. Tricky. 

It's really tricky. Normally, i would say just try and buy more beers, merch etc at the festival to try and help, but it's hard enough to afford to go to a festival with the cost of living sky rocketing. It's a really tough one, and I think for a number of festivals this could be their last summer 😞

Edited by mr flow
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mr flow said:

It's really tricky. Normally, i would say just try and buy more beers, merch etc at the festival to try and help, but it's hard enough to afford to go to a festival with the cost of living sky rocketing. It's a really tough one, and I think for a number of festivals this could be their last summer 😞

Yep, 'kin awful situation and no festival is to blame.  😞

On 3/8/2022 at 2:09 PM, aidenlangan95 said:

Would have seen them as a similar size to Gorillaz. Definitely bigger than most Boomtown headliners.

they'd be popular, one year i was at boomtown max romeo played 'chase the devil', and suddenly there were these people running around to see where the music was coming from(i doubt they were thinking it was Dreadzone who sampled the same bit).

So all areas have been released. I've tried to make sense of the descriptions and this seems to to be the genre breakdowns:

Area 404- Punk/Ska/Metal/Tekno/Garage

Botanica-soul/rap

Copper County- Swing/Folk/Funk/African Fusion

Forest Parties- Dancehall rhythms, dub, roots, steppa

Grand Central- Live Bands/ "forward thinking" electronic artists

Old Town- ??? "Fiddles"

Origin-DnB/Reggae (Largest Stage)

Metropolis- Disco/House/Techno

Thoughts? Good spread? 

Edited by Leyrulion

16 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

So all areas have been released. I've tried to make sense of the descriptions and this seems to to be the genre breakdowns:

Area 404- Punk/Ska/Metal/Tekno/Garage

Botanica-soul/rap

Copper County- Swing/Folk/Funk/African Fusion

Forest Parties- Dancehall rhythms, dub, roots, steppa

Grand Central- Live Bands/ "forward thinking" electronic artists

Old Town- ??? "Fiddles"

Origin-DnB/Reggae (Largest Stage)

Metropolis- Disco/House/Techno

Thoughts? Good spread? 

Add Psytrance to the forest parties (though why anyone would want to is beyond me...).

Old town will probably get all the Balkan / brass / electroswing stuff as well I expect.

AREA 404 - Scrapyard had loads of hardcore, [insertsubgenre]tek and ALL THE FUCKING KICKDRUMS - I hope it stays that way

I kind of like that there is a district (rather than just a couple of massive stages) for Reggae / DnB - it might mean a) we get a bit more reggae back, with a bit more variety and b) not (nearly) everywhere is playing D&B late on, which has been the case a bit over the last few.

1 hour ago, deadpheasant said:

What do we anticipate about the lineup then? Significantly weaker than 2020?T hem rebooking most of the same acts or are there any rumours of inclusions/absentees?

Their reasoning for not releasing a lineup is in part to free them from expensive exclusivity clauses so if anything I'd expect the lineup to be stronger than 2020.

Is that unreasonable?

Edited by Leyrulion

Reading between the lines, there’s been some comms around how much costs have gone up relative to 2020, no income for 2 years, lots of emphasis on going back to their roots, all about the experience etc.

I wouldn’t expect any “big” headliners like gorillaz or groove armada this year. 

I personally think it’s a good idea, they’re trying to get their core audience back and shake off the “festival for 18 year olds on ket” reputation they’ve got. 

First time this year and I'm looking forward to it but have no idea what to expect and with the reboot and blind line up it feels like a total mystery. 

People who have been before, tell me things. I know like the post above said it has a bit of a druggy rep but I also hear it's really friendly. Probably cus everyone is on drugs 😄 

21 minutes ago, 1986 said:

First time this year and I'm looking forward to it but have no idea what to expect and with the reboot and blind line up it feels like a total mystery. 

People who have been before, tell me things. I know like the post above said it has a bit of a druggy rep but I also hear it's really friendly. Probably cus everyone is on drugs 😄 

All I can say is…. You forget the outside world exists.

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

I'm fully chemical free these days (and have been for some years), and I think that Boomtown has a worse reputation than it deserves for drug use. 

Yes, it's a festival built with a strong emphasis on dance music, and that means that people are partying pretty hard - but I think the main difference is *which* drugs are being used, and more generally the changes in festival drug culture.  I've been to a few festivals that bill themselves as relatively family friendly, and after dark there's a lot of coke, MDMA, psychadelics; at Glastonbury nowadays the drug use is much more obvious, and has changed from when I first started going in the 90's (insert "it was much better in my day" speech here...) from mainly being dope, LSD and mushrooms to common and open use of coke and MDMA.  Boomtowns much more ketty than some other shows, but that's because it's demographic has more kids who don't have the money for coke.

tl;dr yep, drugs - but not much more than any festival nowadays really.

• Upvote 1