Acts Touring around Glastonbury 2023

kingcrawler

4 minutes ago, p.pete said:

So, lets say once in 20 years - which is one out of every 60 headliners.  Metallica were announced early May, when Prince might have happened, can't imagine they were keeping the weekend free for Glastonbury either though - things just worked out.  

Yeah makes sense! That was really interesting, thank you. 

3 minutes ago, becca_ said:

Yeah makes sense! That was really interesting, thank you. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_line-ups

I know we shouldn't rely on wikipedia 😛  Looks like 13 pyramid acts have been 'replaced' since 1993 - it maybe happens less often than it used to.  Libertines listed as special guest, but obvs they were replacing Florence.  But in relation to your initial question and 'keeping the weekend free' - really not much evidence of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

So, lets say once in 20 years - which is one out of every 60 headliners.  Metallica were announced early May, when Prince might have happened, can't imagine they were keeping the weekend free for Glastonbury either though - things just worked out.  

metallica were booked to headline other stage, and were moved to pyramid.

1 minute ago, danwink said:

When the Foos had to pull out I think they were always looking at bumping up Florence. I spoke to Foals around the time and they said that they were asked to play the support slot but we're in no way "match fit" so did the next year instead.

A lot of us on here were expecting her to be headlining outright that year anyway so were quite surprised when she was initially a sub. I do wonder if Foos hadn’t pulled out/she’d stayed as a sub when, if ever, her time to headline would’ve been. 

2 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Jamiroquai is free Friday (unlikely) and Sunday. WH headline Sunday would work (maybe too big/ mainstream for WH?)

JayKay turning up to headline Sunday to an empty West Holts field cos everyone else is at Elton and throwing a massive hissy fit would be #topbantz

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

JayKay turning up to headline Sunday to an empty West Holts field cos everyone else is at Elton and throwing a massive hissy fit would be #topbantz

Tricky was once booked to headline the Big Top at Beautiful Days. When he found out it's the second stage he did exactly that and claimed to be too ill to play. The Damned who were subs on that stage had to extend their set to fill in.

Edited by Skip997

15 hours ago, Neil said:

metallica were booked to headline other stage, and were moved to pyramid.

Cool, so pretty much nobody in the last 20 years has been 'having the weekend off', 'just in case', and then got the call to replace someone.  Only grey area is Gorrillaz - were they going to be playing the festival anyway?  Libertines may have been asked to play at the last moment, but they didn't headline - afaik Pete Doherty does often just go to the festival because he wants to, so probably had the weekend free, but then he probably has most weekends free.

15 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Maybe a lot of bands keep it free on the off chance and they get the call. Worse case they attend as a punter.

Until December / January maybe - to give themselves chance of being booked.  Anyone keeping themselves free all the way up until June for Grohl to break his arm or Axl to get stage fright, is either an idiot, poorly managed, or actually not that much in demand (/ not currently touring - different to keeping it clear 'just in case').  Sure a lot of bands will attend as a punter, but that will be because they want to and that's their primary plan.  Chris Marin, Damon Alborn, James Hetfield, Pete Doherty - if these guys are on a tour then they'll skip Glastonbury and get on with their tour (assuming it's not properly planned to be part of G) - if they're not on tour, sure there's a great chance that they'll be at Glastonbury as guests / vips / punters.

40 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Jamiroquai is free Friday (unlikely) and Sunday. WH headline Sunday would work (maybe too big/ mainstream for WH?)

Don't. Based on recent posts (and massive pinches of salt, obviously) I now have a Sunday night fear of Elton vs Iggy Pop vs Jamiroquai.  All three of those would be great headliners for me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Don't. Based on recent posts (and massive pinches of salt, obviously) I now have a Sunday night fear of Elton vs Iggy Pop vs Jamiroquai.  All three of those would be great headliners for me!

Hope you don't like Prodigy who will no doubt be on Other

43 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I don't think he'd take WH, thought he was fairly strict on taking big slots etc

2 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Jamiroquai is one of my dream bookings!! Do you really think its possible he might be there?!?! I haven't even dared suggest 🙏🏼 if he is...please don't clash, please don't clash! 

I would love to see Jamiroquai 

As it stands Thurs 22nd Czech Republic and Saturday 24th in Italy 

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned Huey Morgan in a Womble's slot?  FLC have been added to the efests lineup page as a rumour - I can see they have dates around the festival - but don't think anyone's suggested them on here. 

Re JK, assume he wouldn't do Czech->G->Italy on 3 consecutive days, but Italy->G on the Sunday seems possible, especially as he's then doing a UK date later in the week.  Wouldn't like to think of the clashes if he headlined a stage, so hopefully lower down on a bigger stage?

3 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Yes. So only chance would be Sunday (Italy is last Europe stop). 

He's def say yes to a Pyramid slot Sunday I'm sure. Before or after Legend slot...?

Rod > Jamiroquai > Pulp > Elton would be one hell of an end to the festival