LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

When was the last time Glasto booked three current headliners (no heritage act). Kings of Leon, Jay-Z, The Verve? How long had the Verve been going when they headlined?

1997? Radiohead, The Prodigy, Ash? Weren’t they all relatively new at the time?

Radiohead had just released OK Computer their 3rd album that year so were already well established by that point.

My thoughts/predictions......

- There'll be talk about festival feeling close/real and a gentle reminder of balance payments next month 

(Lots of people won't realise/will have forgotten so a little public nudge on R1 makes sense)

- There'll be general chat about plans to deal with Covid issues

- "We're obviously already got Billie and Diana, and we're really excited to have Wolf Alice and Little Simz on the bill too"

- Confident it'll be the best year yet

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Hang on I’m confused I swear GNR would be doing three days if they did Glasto but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

@dentalplan I swear you had the dates.

They’d be doing consecutive dates in different locations which they’re not doing at any other point.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

My thoughts/predictions......

- There'll be talk about festival feeling close/real and a gentle reminder of balance payments next month 

(Lots of people won't realise/will have forgotten so a little public nudge on R1 makes sense)

- There'll be general chat about plans to deal with Covid issues

- "We're obviously already got Billie and Diana, and we're really excited to have Wolf Alice and Little Simz on the bill too"

- Confident it'll be the best year yet

Nailed on this! Generally nothing of substance and 2 acts who were always going to be there anyway

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Want another?

• Adele (BST exclusive)
  • Arctic Monkeys (R+L)
  • Biffy Clyro (Download)
  • Coldplay (ruled themselves out initially - could change)
  • Dave (R+L)
  • Dua Lipa (in Norway Sunday)
  • Eagles (in Dublin Friday, London Sunday - 3 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Ed Sheeran (in London Friday, Saturday)
  • Elton John (in London Friday, Bristol Sunday - 3 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Foals
  • Florence and the Machine
  • Foo Fighters (in Manchester Saturday)
  • Gorillaz (Germany Friday, Luxembourg Sunday)
  • Green Day (in UK Friday, Saturday; Dublin Monday - 4 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Guns N' Roses (in France Saturday, b2b dates in different countries very unlikely)
  • Harry Styles (in Germany Sunday)
  • Imagine Dragons (UK exclusive show in Milton Keynes)
  • Iron Maiden (Download)
  • The Killers (too soon)
  • Kings of Leon (in Dublin Friday, Belfast Sunday)
  • Liam Gallagher (in Belfast Friday, Glasgow Sunday)
  • Metallica (in Germany Friday, France Sunday - 3 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Muse (IOW exclusive; in Spain Sunday)
  • Pearl Jam (in Italy Saturday, b2b dates in different countries very unlikely)
  • Post Malone (In Portugal Sunday)
  • Rage Against the Machine (R+L)
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers (in London Saturday and Sunday)
  • Royal Blood
  • Stormzy (too soon)
  • The Strokes

Here's the list 

2 minutes ago, northernringo said:

It is going to be pretty funny when we don't get any news, just a bit of chat about the festival and how it is coping with covid, etc.

I actually don't think that'll be too far off the mark. Maybe just to confirm that everything is going ahead, and a poster/announcement date to keep people happy

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

My 2 pence if Harry info is true is that the headliners are Billie, Harry, Macca.

I can’t see them going for three younger artists - if no Macca maybe they’ve got Guns and Roses who are free on the Sunday I believe. 

Although if we are talking about acts who could cancel their tours (like Aerosmith) Guns and Roses would probably be a risk.

reckon that'll be wrong, geezer earlier was saying no macca.

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.

I mean, it's possible isn't it? France on the Saturday, Dublin on the Tuesday. Not doing anything on the Friday night so it wouldn't be 3 days in a row. Emily mentioned them in the Classic Rock Magazine Metallica special....

I really thought for a while they'd be the first backup option if we lost Macca/Kendrick after Emily constantly name dropping them, but I was convinced otherwise with the b2b dates in different countries thing. Leaning back in to it now if Macca is gone. They're a solid replacement and balance out the lineup nicely if it's still Kendrick and Billie. Losing Macca would be a body blow, but if GnR step in they're probably the replacement I'd be most chuffed with.

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

Nailed on this! Generally nothing of substance and 2 acts who were always going to be there anyway

Why would a chunk of R1’s listeners (some without tickets) care about Emily coming on to not announce anything and just take up air time that R1 could use? Especially at peak time for R1.

Last time Emily went on the one show with no news it was to promote the book. If it was about the emerging talent competition they would have said. It wouldn’t be labelled Glasto 2022 news.

If it was a chat with radio 6 at a non peak time I would agree with you. But this is Emily booking a slot on prime time radio. R1 will want something exclusive for that time slot. It’s the exact same time slot that R&L use for their announcements.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Why would a chunk of R1’s listeners (some without tickets) care about Emily coming on to not announce anything and just take up air time that R1 could use? Especially at peak time for R1.

Last time Emily went on the one show with no news it was to promote the book. If it was about the emerging talent competition they would have said. It wouldn’t be labelled Glasto 2022 news.

If it was a chat with radio 6 at a non peak time I would agree with you. But this is Emily booking a slot on prime time radio. R1 will want something exclusive for that time slot. It’s the exact same time slot that R&L use for their announcements.

Surely R1 would then hype it up as headliner news/announcement then?