LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

4 minutes ago, Barneym said:

My friends work for the glade every year and they are all on for this year, numbers logistics etc so I think this rumour has no legs

The sort of people who believed that rumour are the type who also believe in Father Christmas!

Long live the Glade.

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

It’s clear it’s due to planning consent, not a lack of imagination or desire to create something different. 

There’s not really any other option! 

Yes of course, if it doesn’t return then it’s obviously down to planning, that still doesn’t mean it isn’t a shame (from my point of view) and I don’t really get that attitude of people that are willing it back (irrespective of planning) but each to their own.  

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes of course, if it doesn’t return then it’s obviously down to planning, that still doesn’t mean it isn’t a shame (from my point of view) and I don’t really get that attitude of people that are willing it back (irrespective of planning) but each to their own.  

People that are willing it back were clearly not impressed by the crane.  Yes, it was it's first year but the party never got going with it.  Fine, if you want to look at something different but if we're judging it on terms of the party, it was shit, felt sparse and didn't bring the bang. 

I'm not disappointed in the slightest that the crane isn't coming back. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The sort of people who believed that rumour are the type who also believe in Father Christmas!

Long live the Glade.

Nice one. Christmas is ruined.

What;s this Arcadia rumour then please? Pardon me but I'm a bit behind with it all.

Someone just said the crane is going (good riddance). Wouldn't this be very easy to check? Last time I walked the site (hi, Stu M), most of it was still sitting there in the field. I took a photo and everything.

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

People that are willing it back were clearly not impressed by the crane.  Yes, it was it's first year but the party never got going with it.  Fine, if you want to look at something different but if we're judging it on terms of the party, it was shit, felt sparse and didn't bring the bang. 

No, I stood at the back looking at it for a bit after overdoing it the night before - and it was crap for that too.

Edited by Homer

21 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

If you’ve not seen either as a newbie the spider after 10 plus years of development you are in for an absolute treat …. The thing that still gets me is the blasts of fire that make me jump out of my skin even though I know they are coming … the music really doesn’t matter so much … it’s why it’s called arcadia spectacular 

No doubt, i've considered it in the past when it was in London etc but never actually went for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep. Get yourselves in the belly of the beast, it's quite the experience

My group absolutely rally around chems, we'll be right in there for the DJ set no doubt + a lot of other acts by the sound of the rumours!

Just now, Homer said:

What;s this Arcadia rumour then please? Pardon me but I'm a bit behind with it all.

Someone just said the crane is going (good riddance). Wouldn't this be very easy to check? Last time I walked the site (hi, Stu M), most of it was still sitting there in the field. I took a photo and everything.

planning department said no, appeal said no, too expensive to install every year from scratch as a temporary structure, no point developing it further, decision to retired crane made middle of March. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

planning department said no, appeal said no, too expensive to install every year from scratch as a temporary structure, no point developing it further, decision to retired crane made middle of March. 

Great stuff - ta v much for the info.

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

I find that a bit of a weird attitude, it’s not really logical. The spider evolved over time, and it’s better than things like the afterburner that came before it. Willing the spider back because it wasn’t as good as the cranes first incarnation is like saying to Arcadia “we love everything you’ve done so far, we love your latest fully developed creation, but we don’t trust you beyond this point to carry on doing what you’ve done since you started, sorry but we think the spider is as good as you’re going to be able to do and we’d rather keep seeing that year in year on year out”.

Sorry Arcadia, but we the people of efests believe this is where your ability to create anything new ends!

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

No doubt, i've considered it in the past when it was in London etc but never actually went for whatever reason.

My group absolutely rally around chems, we'll be right in there for the DJ set no doubt + a lot of other acts by the sound of the rumours!

Don;t be put off by the big crowds on the outskirts gawping at the spectacle. One you get into the centre, there's a surprising amount of room (generally).

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I find that a bit of a weird attitude, it’s not really logical. The spider evolved over time, and it’s better than things like the afterburner that came before it. Willing the spider back because it wasn’t as good as the cranes first incarnation is like saying to Arcadia “we love everything you’ve done so far, we love your latest fully developed creation, but we don’t trust you beyond this point to carry on doing what you’ve done since you started, sorry but we think the spider is as good as you’re going to be able to do and we’d rather keep seeing that year in year on year out”.

Thing is, it’s hard to see where else the crane could really go. I mean, it’s just a crane that spins round, and possibly had something hanging from it, but didn’t for most of ‘19. I get your point that they must’ve had some idea of where to go with it and they’ve not let us down before, but the spider was just superior in every way and it’s hard to see how the crane could ever compare, especially with the spider being something you can get under/in to and making it a whole immersive thing.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not really... the first year of the spider was better than the last year of the afterburner at Glastonbury.  

(Actually the first year of the spider was the afterburner with the spiders legs, before then made a new body for it) 

The Reactor was amazing.

Pangea is the first time in Arcadia's history that they've made something that was worse than what it replaced. 

It's an annual festival - you can't just say oh well, it will be good in 5 years time! 

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Thing is, it’s hard to see where else the crane could really go. I mean, it’s just a crane that spins round, and possibly had something hanging from it, but didn’t for most of ‘19. I get your point that they must’ve had some idea of where to go with it and they’ve not let us down before, but the spider was just superior in every way and it’s hard to see how the crane could ever compare, especially with the spider being something you can get under/in to and making it a whole immersive thing.

As I’ve said repeatedly each to their own, but the spider has totally lost its novelty to me and the Arcadia team obviously agreed. I generally rock up on one day of the festival, look up for bit and think yeah that looks cool, and move on. We’ve got a first timer with us this year but they’ve seen it in London so it won’t even be a novelty to them.

This is kind of a pointless discussion really because people feel how they feel, I tend to get bored of things and would rather see something new even if it isn’t technically better, but enjoy it more simply because it’s different. Other people get enjoyment from seeing the same thing and that’s fair enough. I just think if you extrapolated that across the whole festival where would you be. All I can say is I enjoyed looking up at the crane more than the spider because it was different, but that’s just me.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

12 minutes ago, Homer said:

Don;t be put off by the big crowds on the outskirts gawping at the spectacle. One you get into the centre, there's a surprising amount of room (generally).

We won't - don't you worry! Front and centre

Problem isn't evolution - its literally just the crane itself.

Wasn't part of the immersive fun supposed to be the wrecking ball swinging round? Even in its first year.. and then it didn't because of the weather, in a very hot and windless weekend. Not sure how to evolve that if its main USP wasn't usable, even if planning permission was granted to keep it. 

4 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

Not sure how to evolve that if its main USP wasn't usable, even if planning permission was granted to keep it. 

Stick the DJ booth in a shipping container with a window on the front. The crane can take the DJ around the crowd. Might have to avoid vinyl though and just stick to digital production. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

Wasn't part of the immersive fun supposed to be the wrecking ball swinging round? Even in its first year.. and then it didn't because of the weather, in a very hot and windless weekend. Not sure how to evolve that if its main USP wasn't usable, even if planning permission was granted to keep it. 

I think they might have been able to sort that issue out … we will never know now … I look forward to what they can add this year in quite a big arena … and whatever they have in mind for the future 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cam91 said:

There are solutions to that, I posted a while back in another thread that the port at Bestival used to have a crane that suspended performers above the crowd, and whilst at Bestival I experienced an actual hurricane one year. The moon was relatively light with a large surface area which was its issue, so do something else instead.

It’s all seemingly moot anyway due to the planning issue, but they said they had a five year plan for it and I would have much rather have seen that evolve than the same thing over and over again.