2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

I can see the appeal with Maca, I saw him in 04 . I just wanted to watch a beatle do Beatle songs. he was good , I didn't watch it all. he started to grate on me . waffling on about his mates who he started a band with . I walked off during blackbird .  at least I can say I saw a Beatle.

I won't be seeing one again , 

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not fancying Macca because you’d prefer The 1975 is like turning down a free meal in a Michelin started restaurant because you fancy a Greggs.

It's the 80 years old bit that's quite a turnoff for me personally - when I first listened to The Beatles properly I accepted I was born 40 years too late to enjoy them live

5 minutes ago, George1399 said:

It's the 80 years old bit that's quite a turnoff for me personally - when I first listened to The Beatles properly I accepted I was born 40 years too late to enjoy them live

If it’s your first time at the festival, I really couldn’t recommend seeing Macca on the Pyramid enough. I can’t stress how much of a moment it’ll be, even if his voice is utterly shot. There’s something so special about that stage and  the atmosphere for a headliner, it’s unlike anything else. It really will be special.

If you’ve seen headliners there before, or seen Macca before, or you exclusively listen to dance music and aren’t arsed at all about the Pyramid, then you won’t really be missing as much. But if you’ve got even a passing interest on the Beatles or guitar/pop music in general, and it’s your first time at the festival and seeing a Pyramid headliner, it’s a hell of a thing to miss.

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s actually somewhat nuts to me that someone wouldn’t find something to see in Billie, Macca, Kendrick. 

Theres a big difference between  "finding something to see" and being actively excited by. If I saw Macca I'd know 99% of the songs and I'd sing along and enjoy myself. But that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily excited by it.

The other thing is that yes you've got three distinct genres, but it's still only three artists. Entirely possible to like a genre without loving every single artist within it.

Macca is definitely an option for me, a guaranteed good time if nothing alternative grabs me elsewhere. Tbh (and this is going to upset @Hugh Jass) I'm in the same position with Macca that I was with the Foos leading into '17. In the end I really enjoyed them and had a great time, but leading into the fest they were my saturday night safety net.

Edited by Quark

27 minutes ago, Miyn said:

Bold move to do 50/50 on sets. If your having a good time at one, I don't see much point in leaving to see something else. You could spend 15 minutes trying to get from one stage to another, only to be right at the back for the 2nd act. Even if the end of Macca is just as good of a time as you were having at Dua, you've still missed however long you spent getting between them. It's something I'd never do really, unless I was having an atrocious time somewhere, but I'd never plan it in advance. Will be interesting to see if you can make it work. 

I can vouch for how shite this is. My girlfriend likes Tame Impala, so we went to the Other for that, but after 2 songs I insisted we should go watch Stormzy because we could see Tame Impala again, but this Stormzy set was going to be a once in a lifetime cultural event. I wasn't wrong, but the pandemic happened and we still haven't seen Tame Impala so she is still annoyed.

I digress... We missed about 15 minutes of music getting across

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Theres a big difference between  "finding something to see" and being actively excited by. If I saw Macca I'd know 99% of the songs and I'd sing along and enjoy myself. But that doesn't mean that I'm necessarily excited by it.

The other thing is that yes you've got three distinct genres, but it's still only three artists. Entirely possible to like a genre without loving every single artist within it.

Macca is definitely an option for me, a guaranteed good time if nothing alternative grabs me elsewhere. Tbh (and this is going to upset @Hugh Jass) I'm in the same position with Macca that I was with the Foos leading into '17. In the end I really enjoyed them and had a great time, but leading into the fest they were my saturday night safety net.

Why would I be upset? It’s your time at the festival, you have to enjoy it how you see fit.

I’m not as excited about the prospect of Macca as I am for Kendrick. I’ve seen him a couple of times before and know exactly what we’re going to get from him. I’m more excited for the massive communal experience it’ll be than the actual performance itself.

40 minutes ago, George1399 said:

something about not having a personal 'top 10 favourite artist' headlining a festival im at doesnt sit well with me.

One of your top 10 favourite artists headlines every festival you go to?  Seriously?  I think I've only ever been to 7 festivals featuring my top 10 (and one of those is the same act twice)...

40 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s actually somewhat nuts to me that someone wouldn’t find something to see in Billie, Macca, Kendrick. 

Each to their own Matt, love McCartney, tried hard with the other two. Billie has a couple of songs that are alright, but Kendrick does absolutely nothing for me despite numerous attempts. Not saying they're not worthy of the slot, but just not for me. Hope you enjoy!

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

If it’s your first time at the festival, I really couldn’t recommend seeing Macca on the Pyramid enough. I can’t stress how much of a moment it’ll be, even if his voice is utterly shot. There’s something so special about that stage and  the atmosphere for a headliner, it’s unlike anything else. It really will be special.

If you’ve seen headliners there before, or seen Macca before, or you exclusively listen to dance music and aren’t arsed at all about the Pyramid, then you won’t really be missing as much. But if you’ve got even a passing interest on the Beatles or guitar/pop music in general, and it’s your first time at the festival and seeing a Pyramid headliner, it’s a hell of a thing to miss.

Yeah I can imagine! I think we'll all be there for that reason alone that it should be special.

In the past tho seeing bands like Foos, Muse and (yes even though it's not for everyone) The 1975 smash headline sets at festivals i cant say im expecting the same performance from any of the 3 we've got. Maybe Kendrick but his Reading 18 performance was pants imo

5 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I can vouch for how shite this is. My girlfriend likes Tame Impala, so we went to the Other for that, but after 2 songs I insisted we should go watch Stormzy because we could see Tame Impala again, but this Stormzy set was going to be a once in a lifetime cultural event. I wasn't wrong, but the pandemic happened and we still haven't seen Tame Impala so she is still annoyed.

I digress... We missed about 15 minutes of music getting across

Don't worry - there will be cheap tickets for the at APE for sure.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why would I be upset? It’s your time at the festival, you have to enjoy it how you see fit.

I’m not as excited about the prospect of Macca as I am for Kendrick. I’ve seen him a couple of times before and know exactly what we’re going to get from him. I’m more excited for the massive communal experience it’ll be than the actual performance itself.

Was tongue in cheek given your 1975 comparison. Also something about you being old and not getting the young peoples music. Or some such.

2 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Each to their own Matt, love McCartney, tried hard with the other two. Billie has a couple of songs that are alright, but Kendrick does absolutely nothing for me despite numerous attempts. Not saying they're not worthy of the slot, but just not for me. Hope you enjoy!

So, you agree with him then?

1 hour ago, curse these metal hands said:

Think I am one of the few on here who is hoping the Macca tour announcement has US dates all over Glasto weekend. Zero interest in Billie Kendrick or Macca so would like one Pyramid headliner to entice me

Concur with the hope Macca has US dates all over Glasto weekend - very interested in seeing both Billie and Kendrick though (Even though the Simz/Billie clash is SO fucking frustrating) Annoying because I can imagine skipping Macca for say Dua, only to get back home a few days later, watch it back on TV and kick myself for not being there during one of THOSE Glastonbury pyramid set moments - risky skipping it and getting that FOMO. 

Just now, SpencerF said:

Concur with the hope Macca has US dates all over Glasto weekend - very interested in seeing both Billie and Kendrick though (Even though the Simz/Billie clash is SO fucking frustrating) Annoying because I can imagine skipping Macca for say Dua, only to get back home a few days later, watch it back on TV and kick myself for not being there during one of THOSE Glastonbury pyramid set moments - risky skipping it and getting that FOMO. 

If you want to see 2 pyramid headers already then trust me you want someone else you don’t like.  Nothing better than some stage variety 

2 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

Little Simz might be on Saturday so you could be in luck

I can also recommend that if your really not interested in a headliner, even if other people are saying it will be a cultural moment, an all time great set etc, don't bother going. We chose Jon Hopkins over Stormzy, partially so we could head to the SE corner early, and had a little bit of FOMO at the time (partially because it was our first Glasto headliner) even though I wasn't a big fan of his music, which was then elevated after hearing how much people enjoyed his set. But last year, I caught Stormzy's set at Leeds and it confirmed that a) I'm still not into his music, and b) The time I had at Jon Hopkins was way better than the time I probably would have at Stormzy. So moral of the story is, try and get into a headliners music, as a great pyramid headline set from an act you love is better than anything else. But if it's just not clicking, don't try and force it, even if everyone else thinks it's going to be great.