U.S. Presidential Election

FloorFiller

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

As far as I know, the Republican term runs until Jan 20. Biden cannot assume until then. It would go to Pence but if he the resigned or refused, God knows what would happen. Presumably Pelosi takes it until the inauguration date.

Ah yeah you’re right. I misread something earlier.

Just now, shoptildrop said:

yeah covid, as seeing scenes elsewhere too like NY and what not hopefully being outside will help

I thought it was a bit concerning, but it did look like everyone was wearing masks. It must be impossible to contain yourself, especially people in places like Atlanta after all they’ve been through this year.

Before I drink any more, I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread this week. it's been a vital piece of my 2020 US election experience.

Right now I'm just riding the wave of relief. I've face-timed with a good friend in Baton Rouge and she was making steak and salmon for lunch, then an afternoon of drinking, which I will join her in throughout the evening.

Thanks all, it wouldn't have been the same without y'all.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Before I drink any more, I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread this week. it's been a vital piece of my 2020 US election experience.

Right now I'm just riding the wave of relief. I've face-timed with a good friend in Baton Rouge and she was making steak and salmon for lunch, then an afternoon of drinking, which I will join her in throughout the evening.

We’ve all just been Biden our time here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I thought it was a bit concerning, but it did look like everyone was wearing masks. It must be impossible to contain yourself, especially people in places like Atlanta after all they’ve been through this year.

Just like victory’s for Leeds and Liverpool in the football this year ... 

Edited by crazyfool1

55 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah so the two senate races in Georgia are going to a run off election in Jan (neither candidate received over 50% of the vote, so we go again). The democrats need to win both seats to control the senate (Harris would be the tie break).

I don't hold out much hope for democrats win these in Georgia...maybe Trump acting the way he is will help...

8 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Yes, hasn’t it been good?!  Although watching it in our own houses checking in and out of here gave you the feeling you were discussing and debating it with friends, laughing along with some of the comments as well as the serious stuff.  Ta Efests

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Does a runoff mean a whole new vote? Still not quite clear what it means.

Full new elections (just for the Senate).

Get to do it all again.

Interesting back stories for the candidates as well. https://www.npr.org/2020/11/07/932068951/senate-control-likely-decided-by-fate-of-2-georgia-runoff-races?t=1604782451496

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Yeah so the two senate races in Georgia are going to a run off election in Jan (neither candidate received over 50% of the vote, so we go again). The democrats need to win both seats to control the senate (Harris would be the tie break).

The run off isn't until January?? I'd assumed it was a totally different election. Why is their democratic process so fucking slow and cumbersome?

45 minutes ago, Copperface said:

As far as I know, the Republican term runs until Jan 20. Biden cannot assume until then. It would go to Pence but if he the resigned or refused, God knows what would happen. Presumably Pelosi takes it until the inauguration date.

Yeah, I'm 95% sure that's how it would work.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Off topic but this guy is still claiming expenses from my local council months after becoming an MP

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/politics/blackpool-mp-and-calderdale-councillor-scott-benton-facing-separate-investigations-relating-his-conduct-and-finances-3022033

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The run off isn't until January?? I'd assumed it was a totally different election. Why is their democratic process so fucking slow and cumbersome?

It is a new election. But the returning period for these current elections does not complete for three weeks yet. Then there has to be a specified canvass period for the new election which, taking into account holiday periods etc, takes up to the beginning of January, hence the date. 

26 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This should explain it - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6192322002

What's a runoff election?

They're second elections held if no candidate in the first election receives a majority of the votes. The two candidates with the most votes qualify for the runoff.

Why did it happen?

Georgia requires the winner get at least 50% of the vote. In this year's election, none of Georgia's candidates got that many votes.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler, the Republican incumbent, and Democratic challenger Raphael Warnock are set to face off again, as are for Sen. David Perdue, the Republican incumbent, and Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff in their race. 
For Ossoff, it’s a bookend to the start of Trump’s tenure, when he ran for a suburban Atlanta House seat that became the most expensive congressional race in U.S. history to that point. He lost. Warnock, meanwhile, is making his first bid for public office.