Football 2020/2021

zahidf

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Tuchel still playing the likes of Mount, CHO and James... It's almost like football managers think they are decent footballers.

Has anyone argued they're worthless? I just don't see what's *special* about Mount, as opposed to an inconsistent and reasonable player. I've thought of him as a Prem squad player who'll start 25 games/season in rotation.

Reece James is quality.

14 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If City don’t win it from here some pretty serious questions need to be asked.

United lost it from 6 games out, while having an 8 point start. Liverpool lost it from this point of the season while having a 9 point lead. City are 3 points clear.

16 minutes ago, eastynh said:

United lost it from 6 games out, while having an 8 point start. Liverpool lost it from this point of the season while having a 9 point lead. City are 3 points clear.

but you believe there's never been a team as utterly fantastic as City, and you say the other teams are shit (and they are).

Why the sudden lack of confidence? 😄 

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but you believe there's never been a team as utterly fantastic as City, and you say the other teams are shit (and they are).

Why the sudden lack of confidence? 😄 

Its called common sense and experience Neil. All it takes is an injury, a dodgy decision or someone getting covid.

City have the best squad, but only a fool would suggest it is over this far out. If it was a straight play off with 15 matches between City and United, then yes I would strongly suggest City would win it. United don't have to play City every week though.

There is still far too much football to play yet, to suggest with any certainty that City are going to win it.

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I expect City to keep widening the gap at the top between now and the end of the season tbh. I think we all expect that. It's likely to happen. Doesn't mean it will. Very likely though.

You can't really see any of the top clubs getting anywhere near city. 

United and Liverpool will do just enough for top 4. 

What is becoming ever more evident with the likes of Van Dijk and Dias, is that a top class CB is now the most important player on the pitch.  
The confidence it gives the other players is just so important to transforming a team. 
I think that’s why ultimately United are going to be the bridesmaid and never the bride with Maguire - who is a good, solid player, but some distance away from the two above. 

Liverpool's decline did seem to start before Van Dijk got injured. The Arsenal game just after the first lockdown and then obviously the villa game are two that spring to mind. I guess you could chalk the first upto them already winning the league but in my opinion their problems haven't been at the back. When Fabinho has played with Matip they have both been excellent.

17 minutes ago, lost said:

Liverpool's decline did seem to start before Van Dijk got injured. The Arsenal game just after the first lockdown and then obviously the villa game are two that spring to mind. I guess you could chalk the first upto them already winning the league but in my opinion their problems haven't been at the back. When Fabinho has played with Matip they have both been excellent.

Oh yeah I agree, I didn’t make the statement on the simple basis of Van Dijk out = Liverpool bad and Dias in = Man City good. Of course it’s not quite as simple as that. 

But it’s the confidence levels of players around them when they do or don’t play. TAA (and to a lesser extent Robertson) have gone off the boil, and I’m sure not having Van Dijk alongside them has had a big impact in that. Without the threat they have both been for the past two seasons, they have a lack of options at times going forward.  
And on the flip side, Stones now looks unbeatable next to Dias, whereas his career at City looked more or less over before they signed him in the summer. It’s also meant that Gundogan hasn’t had to focus as much on the defensive side of his game, and is now stepping up as an attacking threat. 

Edited by st dan

1 hour ago, lost said:

Said before that their decline is perfectly natural. It’s not physically possible to play at the standard intensity they did for more than a couple of seasons without bulking up the squad.

That's the kind of red card they said would get overturned by VAR, not created after 5 minutes watching the same slow motion 8 frames out of context. Lee Mason to blame just as much as Dean there, why ask him over to the screen? I know the official reason is "he made a first" but it's so clear to basically every human that's seen it what was happening, it's baffling.